Naviance in Action
Director of College Counseling, Yes Prep North Central
Naviance in Action
Who am I
•College & Career Counselor for MISD
(8 years) magnoliaisd.org/ccc
•Mother of Jaden (4) & Charleigh (2)
•Wife of 5 years
•Naviance Presenter (2010-2013)
•Naviance Innovator of the Year, 2012
•Texas A&M Class of 2001
•Lamar University M.ED in Counseling
•TACAC, NACAC, TCA, ACA Member
•Real Life Passion: Photographer
Through the grapevine
• When do you find time to do what you do?
• How much work do you take home?
• Do you sleep?
• How much coffee do you really drink?
• You want me to ask my teachers to do
• Definition of action (n) [ ákshan ]
– doing something toward goal: the process of doing something in
order to achieve a purpose
– something done: something that somebody or something does
– movement: the way somebody or something moves or works, or
the movement itself
Today we will accomplish:
• Identifying “Great Ideas and Best
– Your Community
– Teachers & Administrators
• Social Media and YOU
Ready, Set, SHARE!
Timer 10 minutes
Chalk, Coffee and Creativity
•Write about upcoming events in
•Take a picture of it.
•Tweet it, FB it, Pin it, Instagram it
•Once a month, before school, in
•Parents, colleges, and military
recruiters donate goodies for raffle.
“Oh the Places You’ll Go”
•Students update their status in
Naviance, they are invited to the
Celebration in December and/or April.
•College Acceptance Letter is their ticket in.
•Cupcakes, Cotton Candy and Hot Coco-
• Snow Cones-April
•Take pictures of every student with their
•To see more pictures:
•When was the last time you took a group of students on a
•How many different College Admissions Representatives come
to meet with your students?
•My $5 plan
Unused Real Estate
•Writing on the Walls
•Wall of Thoughts
•“If I had a million dollars, I would .
•“When I was little, I wanted to be .
Now I want to be .
Writing on the Wall
• Every month, focus on one
grade level. Stand outside
English teacher’s classroom
with laptops or butcher paper
• Depending on grade
level, students put their
college dreams on Naviance
or on the wall.
• Parent Volunteers transfer
• At the end of Fall
lunches, seniors get a
piece of cake after they
update their status in
(acceptance, etc) or on a
piece of paper.
• (Reports from Naviance)
Think Outside the Box
• Where do you spend most of your time?
• Moved my office to the middle of the
commons during lunch
•Organized by grade-color coded
•Instruction Sheets about
Planning, along with
•Show me the Money
Wednesday Workshops during
•The Money Tree
•No Money Left Behind Financial
Aid Seminars December-March
•Lessons Learned Weekly
•Print pictures on
transparencies and then
make frames out of
•Hang up College
•Pictures of staff on
College T-Shirt days
•Pictures of all College
and Career Center
College Cram Sessions
• One day cram
session by grades at
• Naviance in
• (Pays for my fun)
College Boot Camps
• 4 day sessions
• Educate on
the sun in Naviance
• Parents invited.
Your Staff needs YOU too!
• Teacher Tea Times
• Wednesday Walks
– Hand out supplies-
Markers, Expos, Highlighters, Post
It Notes, etc
• Teach for the Day
• Not just another College T-Shirt Day
– Take pictures!
• Empty Nest Prep Luncheon for Senior
• Junior Conferences
• Sponsor a table at Community Events
• Newspaper Editor should be your BFF
• When was the last time you drove around
where your students live?
So what can you do?
•Look at the
Pick 3 ideas
Take back To
Social Media & YOU!
• To see all the LINKS
NOW, go to
GOAL: Pick 3 you
could use as a
• Remind101.com Sends Text messages to
your students, can break down by
grade, class, needs, game plans, etc.
Students subscribe to it. (Texas
@collegean to (720)924-4387)
• Twitter: Follow colleges, scholarship
organizations, test preps, school
Outside the Box
• http://knitterchat.com/ Stitching ideas through
• http://flipboard.com/ Flipboard is your
personal magazine, filled with the things you
• http://www.instagram.com Pictures!
• http://www.instagrok.com GO!
• QR Codes- Download APP on phone!
Yes there is more!
• http://twijector.com/go/college (Twitter)
• http://www.tweetdeck.com (Twitter)
• http://cel.ly/about (Text Messages)
• http://paper.li/ (Publish newsletters off
It’s the little things
• It only takes one thing to
change a person’s life
forever. What will it be? I
am not sure but I do
know one thing for
sure, I am willing to try a
different, crazy, outside
the box ideas to reach
Director of College Counseling and
Yes Prep North Central
Your Feedback Matters!
Thank you for attending the
Naviance Summer Institute 2013!
We greatly appreciate your feedback, please complete
a brief evaluation for this session at: