1. Getting the Whole Picturefinding a common language between digital preservation and conservation
2. Digital Capture
3. Archimedes Palimpest
4. Social Media
5. Common Principles• Assessment• Documentation• Treatment Approach• Stabilisation• Communication
6. UNESCO Charter key points• Access to the digital heritage• The threat of loss• Need for action• Digital continuity
7. UNESCO Charter key pointsWhat do we need?• Strategies and policies• Selection• Roles and responsibilities• Partnerships and co-operation
8. Knowledge Networks• Body dot pointshttp://www.nla.gov.au/openpublish/index.php/nlasp/index
9. Responsible StewardshipChallenges• Assess digital preservation needs• Long-term priorities• A digital preservation plan
10. Significance – It’s all gone !
11. Significance – It’s all gone !http://www.kottke.org/12/05/how-pixar-almost-deleted-toy-story-2
12. Significance – It’s all gone !
13. Stewardship One size does not fit all
14. Policies• Selection, significance, etc. plus procedures and guidelines• Shared responsibility & knowledge bases• Support, trust and relationships• Network building, virtual teams
15. CuratorshipKodak Research Laboratory, Harrow, England.Gelatin silver print reproduction of JosephNicéphore Niépces View from the Window at LeGras. 1826 reproduction March 1952. Gelatinsilver print. 20.3 x 25.4 cm. Joseph Nicéphore Niépces View from the Window at Le Gras. 1826 Gelatin silver print and watercolor. 20.3 x 25.4 cm March 20-21, 1952.
16. Moving ForwardUNESCO to NLA Strategic Directions• Models and preserving access• Implementation Principles• Research and standards development• Working with others
17. Mediapedia“there is nothing moreephemeral than long termmedia formats”Jean-Claude Carriere , filmaker
18. Relationships and Trust• Proactive, planning, documentation, selection and significance• Partnerships and cooperation• Off-site backup• Technical advice and support
20. A Mixed Media Archive
21. Resources and LinksNational Library of Australia Staff Papershttp://www.nla.gov.au/openpublish/index.php/nlasp/indexNLA Behind-the-Scenes Bloghttp://blogs.nla.gov.au/behind-the-scenes/Personal Digital Archiving with theLibrary of Congresshttp://www.digitalpreservation.gov/personalarchiving/Digital Curation Resource Guidehttp://digital-scholarship.org/dcrg/dcrg.htmQuestions?