How to look, what to buy and
what to avoid
Becoming a Good Shopper
• Plan to take the time you need in the
• Schedule shopping – don’t leave it to
• Come prepared – have a list and use
• Quality should always be the #1
Know the Battlefield
Label Reading Do’s
• Look for minimal ingredients. (the less the
• Look for natural ingredients. (if you can’t
pronounce it, it’s probably not good for you)
• Try to buy more foods without any labels at all.
(i.e. fruits and veggies)
• Check every label on every single thing you
• Put items right back on the shelf that are man-
made. (if it doesn’t come from the ground,
grown in a tree)
Label Reading Dont’s
• Worry too much about fat grams, carb grams,
• Don’t buy items with the following ingredients
on the label:
– Monosodium Glutamate (also known as MSG,
Hydrolyzed anything, Autolyzed anything)
– Artificial Sweeteners (sucralose/Splenda,
aspartame/Nutrasweet, Equal, etc)
– Hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated anything
– Refined flour, additives, colorings, preservatives,
chemical names, etc.
Beware of Questionable Marketing
• Made with…
• Trans fat free
• Fat free or low fat
• Natural flavors
Looks can be
Participation fees for the American
Heart Association Endorsement
According to Food Politics by Marion
Nestle in 2003, fees required for the
endorsement are “$7,500 per product
and $4,500 for annual renewals, with a
discount if more than 25 products are
submitted in one year…”
TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY
PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, WATER FOR HYDRATION), EGG
WHITES, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF
SALT, SODIUM CASEINATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, SUGAR,
CELLULOSE GUM, MODIFIED POTATO STARCH, CANOLA OIL,
SPICES, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, HYDROLYZED
VEGETABLE PROTEIN (SOY, WHEAT, AND CORN), CARAMEL
COLOR, GUAR GUM, SOY SAUCE (SOYBEANS, SALT, WHEAT),
NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS FROM NON-MEAT
SOURCES, GUM ARABIC, ONION POWDER, MALTODEXTRIN,
VITAMINS AND MINERALS (NIACINAMIDE, IRON [FERROUS
SULFATE], THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1],
PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6], RIBOFLAVIN
[VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN B12), DISODIUM INOSINATE,
DISODIUM GUANYLATE, SUNFLOWER OIL, XANTHAN GUM,
SESAME SEED OIL.
The Top 10 Toxic Foods
1. Salad Dressings
3. Deli/Packaged Meat
4. White Bread
5. Sprayed Produce
7. Diet Soda/Drinks
8. GMO Foods
9. Commercial Dairy
1. Commercial Salad Dressings
• High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or sugar.
• Bad fats
• Additives like MSG.
• Fat-free farce…when you take away the fat-
your body is less able to absorb the nutrients
& antioxidants from the vegetables.
Popular Italian Dressing Example:
Water, soybean and canola oil, distilled vinegar,
sugar, salt, dehydrated garlic and onion and red bell
pepper, maltodextrin, xantham gum, spices,
autolyzed yeast extract, EDTA, natural flavor, lemon
juice concentrate, caramel color, and annatto.
• Sugar/High Fructose Corn Syrup
• Bad fats
• Empty calories
• Sugar free?
30 grams of sugar = 7 teaspoons
Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Bar
24 grams of sugar = 5 ½ teaspoons
3. Deli/Packaged Meat
• Poor quality commercial meat.
• Research in Sweden found that Swedes who ate on average three ounces of processed
meat each day had a 15 % Greater chance of developing stomach cancer than those who
consumed two ounces or less.
• Results of a study by the Cancer Research Center of Hawaii and the University of
Southern California reported in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute (2005;97:1458-
65) of 190,000 people, ages 45 to 75, for seven years state that those who ate the
most processed meat (bacon, ham, cold cuts) had a 68% Higher risk of
pancreatic cancer than those who ate the least. “Most” was defined as at least 0.6
ounce processed meat, one ounce beef or 0.3 ounce pork per 1,000 calories consumed.
• Read more: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/16361276/#ixzz0qPNkwpXl
*What are Nitrites?
• Give a red, ‘fresh’ color to packaged meats.
– Hot dogs, bacon, deli meats, sausage, pepperoni, beef
jerky, frozen foods, soups, etc.
• Banned in many countries, almost banned in U.S.
• World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) concluded in 2009
that “processed meats are too dangerous for human
• 67% increased risk of pancreatic cancer (University of
• DNA mutating compounds.
• Children of pregnant moms eating lots of red meat are at
in increased risk of developing brain tumors.
4. White Breads
• Start out with highly
• Stripped of vitamins,
minerals, and FIBER.
• Bleached and highly
• Immediately turn to
sugar when it hits the
• Cause tremendous
spikes in blood sugar
• Usually combined with
bad fats and sugar.
5. Sprayed Produce
• No disclosure on produce- you don’t
know what you are getting.
• Many chemicals have not been
studied for long term effects.
• Can cause neurological symptoms,
allergic reactions, cancer, etc.
• Contributes to overall toxic load.
The Reason to go Organic
Pesticide exposure has been linked to:
• Nervous system disorders
• Immune system suppression
• Childhood Cancer
• Breast Cancer
*A study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry found that organically
grown fruits and vegetables contain higher levels of cancer-fighting antioxidants
than conventionally produced foods.
*In 2006, a study published in the journal of Environmental Health Perspectives
reported that children fed diets of organic foods have 6 - 9 X less pesticides in
their urine. In fact, they report that switching to organic foods can quickly have
"dramatic and protective effect against exposures" to commonly used agricultural
• Reproductive damage
• Hormonal problems and asthma
• Exacerbation of ADD/ADHD/Autism
• Migraine Headaches
• Growth and developmental delays
• Man made product.
• Processed with high heat, bleached.
• Added colorings to make it yellow.
• Added flavors to make it have taste.
• Causes inflammation.
• Toxifies the cells.
…manufacturers begin with the cheapest oils-soy, corn, cottonseed or canola, already rancid from the
extraction process-and mix them with tiny metal particles-usually nickel oxide. The oil with its
nickel catalyst is then subjected to hydrogen gas in a high-pressure, high-temperature reactor.
Next, soap-like emulsifiers and starch are squeezed into the mixture to give it a better
consistency; the oil is yet again subjected to high temperatures when it is steam-cleaned. This
removes the unpleasant odor. Margarine’s natural color is an unappetizing grey, is removed by
bleach. Dyes and strong flavors must then be added to make it resemble butter. Finally, the
mixture is compressed and packaged in blocks or tubs and sold as health food.
-From Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
How Margarine is Made
7. Diet Soda/Drinks
• Contain excitotoxins which excite brain
• Man made, chemically altered, unnatural
product – your body doesn’t know what to
do with it.
• Make you hungrier & want to eat more
8. Genetically Modified Foods
• Biggest GMO crops are soybeans and corn. They
appear in almost everything.
• These are genetically modified to allow for major
pesticide use … but leading to other problems as well!
• Man made
• No warning labels
Top GMO Products in the US
(Number in parentheses represents the estimated % that
is genetically modified.)
Hawaiian papaya (more than 50%)
Alfalfa, zucchini and yellow squash (small
Tobacco (Quest® brand)
The American Academy of
states, “Several animal
studies indicate serious
health risks associated with
GM food,” infertility,
accelerated aging, faulty
insulin regulation, and
changes in major organs
and the gastrointestinal
system. They ask
physicians to advise
patients to avoid GM foods.
9. Commercial Dairy
• Sickest and Weakest of the Sick and Weak.
• Loaded with antibiotics, growth hormones, vaccines,
• Contains considerable amounts of pus.
• Processed with high heat denaturing proteins.
What to do
• Stay away from conventional dairy!
• Organic at a bare minimum.
• Ideal is raw organic dairy. (if available in your area)
• Other options: almond milk, coconut milk.
10. Seasoned Packaged Foods
• Packages pasta/rice mixes. (things
with a “flavor packet”)
• Soups and soup mixes.
• Snack chips. (like flavored tortilla
• Frozen meals.
The Problem is MSG
• MSG is an excitotoxin.
• Many people are highly allergic and have severe reactions
• MSG Poisoning Symptoms
– Mood swingsMood swings
– Heart irregularitiesHeart irregularities
– Endocrine disruptionsEndocrine disruptions
Maximized Living Nutrition: The Core Plan
Good fats vs. Bad fats:
Eat more healthy fats –
eliminate damaged fats
Naturally raised vs.
unnaturally raised animal
Go organic and natural for
Whole carbohydrates vs.
Eat more vegetables –
eliminate refined grains
Maximized Living Nutrition: The Advanced Plan
Increase your intake of
Moderate your intake of
Eliminate grains, sugars,
*except berries, granny
smith apples, grapefruit
Top 10 Alternatives
1. Salad Dressings: Make your own
2. Candy: Lick the sugar habit
3. Deli/Packaged Meat: Clean sources
4. White Bread: Whole, sprouted, stone ground
5. Sprayed Produce: (Clean 15/Dirty dozen)
6. Margarine: Butter, Olive Oil
7. Diet Soda/Drinks: Greens, Tea, Water
8. GMO Foods: most hazards reduced on core plan, be cautious of
9. Commercial Dairy: Organic/Raw (Beyond Organic)
10. Seasoned Packaged Foods: Organic/natural alternatives.
• Keep your basics stocked - keep a list going.
• Shop around the outside perimeter of the
• Save money by cooking at home
• Get to know your store/department
• Best = Fresh, Next Best = Frozen,
Least Desirable = Canned.
Buy Fresh & In Season
• Buy fruits/veggies only for
2-3 days at a time.
• Find out what is in season
for your area.
• Try to source products as
local as possible.
• Buy Local: CSA’s,
Farmer’s Markets, Co-
ops, Health Food Stores
• Find out where the items you like are the
• Look for staple items in bulk.
– Nuts/seeds/nut butters
– Frozen berries
• If you don’t see what you want - ASK!
• Buy items in bulk when possible.
• Reduce eating out.
• Look for ways to cut shipping cost- buy local!
• Split large meat orders with friends.
• Grow your own…tomatoes, lettuce, berries...
• Animal Products 1st
, Dirty Dozen 2nd
Everything else 3rd
• Look for deals online.
Find us online!
Like us on
Sign up for our
Special Offers & Savings, Motivation, Clinic
Updates and the Latest Health News
Special Online Offer
on the purchase of
ML Perfect Ratio
ML Perfect Protein