1. Designing Eﬀective
CSS & HTML
Websites in Fireworks
Adobe MAX Conference - San Francisco, CA - November 18, 2008
2. Hi. I’m Nathan Smith, a designer and
front-end developer at Viewzi.com
3. Today I’d like
to talk to you
and CSS sites.
But first, let me
ask you this...
4. Do standards
really ma er?
5. Apple’s Me.com
6. What is the
de nition of
7. Standard: “Something
considered by an authority
or by general consent as a
basis of comparison; an
8. Ajaxian.com word frequency
Standards exist for the benefit
of the web worker almost more
so than the end user, and by
following the best practices set
forth by the best people in our
industry, we ensure we are
equipping ourselves with a
versatile skill-set which we can
take into any environment.
— Mike Davidson Newsvine founder
10. When it comes to standards,
it’s all about the distribution.
United States - Liberia - Myanmar
11. Flash is a de facto standard
Mozilla holds a Guinness World Record for the most
software downloaded in 24 hours. On June 17, 2008
approximately 8 million people downloaded Firefox 3.
“In July 2008, successful downloads averaged
about 33 million per day, and successful installs
averaged around 18 million per day.”
— Emmy Huang Adobe Product Mgr
14. Enterprise Corporations
– Stakeholders preview centralized PNGs
– Smaller file-size, storage goes further
– Maintain lower total cost of ownership
Agencies & Small Teams
– Rapidly move from prototype to design
– Test out FW PNGs directly in a browser
– Easily export PDF overviews for clients
Freelance Web Designers
– Integrate with multiple document types
– Display PNG comps via HTML mockups
– Less time spent switching between apps
As a general rule of thumb,
anything that can read JPG or
GIF files will usually support
PNG as well. Unlike the PSD
format used by Photoshop, PNG
files are readable by a variety of
freely available applications,
including the most important:
— Nathan Smith Front-End Developer
16. Rough Wireframes
High Detail Design
17. App Integration
18. FW now looks akin to its CS4 siblings
19. Cra ing
20. Visual Style Corporate
21. Prototype form elements in Win/Mac
22. Create a vector based drawing
23. Convert vector group to symbol
24. Use 9-slicing on symbol
Preserves the outer
corners and edges
25. Resize element without distortion
26. The align Especially
panel is for doing
useful for animated
all sorts “Web 2.0”
of shapes Ajax GIFs
28. Use grid guides to keep
items arranged properly
29. Slice + optimize
all your images
30. Image export is a time saver
More efficient than cropping
31. PDF export is quite handy
Great for client feedback
32. Export code with caution
Prototyping, not production
33. Code automation is okay, in moderation
35. Bene ts of Frameworks
•Consistent coding style.
• Increases maintainability.
• Rapidly prototype ideas.
• Improvements made to core.
• Not re-inventing the wheel.
37. “Embrace Constraints”
– Mark Kraemer
All modern monitors support at
least 1024×768 pixel resolution.
960 is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,
8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20, 24, 30, 32,
40, 48, 60, 64, 80, 96, 120, 160,
192, 240, 320 and 480.
38. The 960 Grid System is an effort to streamline
web development by providing commonly used
dimensions, based on a width of 960 pixels.
There are two variants: 12 and 16 columns,
which can be used separately or in tandem.
39. The basis of the grid is ideally suited to rapid
prototyping, but it would work equally well
for workflow in a production environment.
There are printable sketch sheets, Photoshop
and Fireworks templates, and a CSS framework
that contain identical column measurements.
40. Inspiration: Khoi Vinh
41. Inspiration: Cameron Moll
42. Inspiration: Olav Bjørkøy
43. Inspiration: Brandon Schauer
44. The 12 column grid is divided into portions
that are 60 pixels wide, whereas the 16
column grid consists 40 pixel increments.
Each column has 10 pixels of margin to either
side, which stack to create gutters that are
20 pixels wide between each of the columns.