2. The Apostles’ Creed I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, Gods only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again; he ascended into heaven, he is seated at the right hand of the Father,and he will come again to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. AMEN.
3. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him wemight become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:21
4. What is SIN? Anything that separates us from God. • God • Us – Lawgiver – Lawlessness – King – Rebellion – Creator – Missing the Mark – Judge – Guilt – Holy – UncleannessUltimately, sin is substituting ourselves forGod.
5. Am I guilty of SIN?• We tend to rationalize our sinfulness. – I’m a pretty good person...compared to most. – Look at the good I’ve done. – Look at all the church stuff I do. – I’m just being a teen..doing what teens do. – If no one knows and it doesn’t hurt anyone, it’s not really sin.
6. SIN• No human being, apart from Christ, has ever been free from Sin. – for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God -Romans 3:23 – Sin infects our • Thoughts • Motives • Words • Deeds – EVERYTHING!
7. SIN enslaves us• “I do something I shouldn’t, but then I do it again, and it becomes a habit; before long my will is chained, and I am no longer free to stop doing it.” -James Howell
8. SIN makes us spiritually DEAD•Yes, in our sinfulness we are lawless, rebels, guilty, unclean, slaves who have missed the mark... But, the real problem is WE ARE DEAD, with no hope of bringing ourselves back to life.
9. As for you, you were dead in yourtransgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air,the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts.Like the rest, we were by nature deserving ofwrath. 4 But because of his great love for us,God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus
10. It wasnt so long ago that you were mired in that old stagnant life of sin. You let the world, which doesnt know the first thing about living, tell you how to live. You filled your lungs with polluted unbelief, and thenexhaled disobedience. We all did it, all of us doing what we felt like doing, when we felt like doing it, all of us in the same boat. Its a wonder God didnt lose his temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead,immense in mercy and with an incredible love, he embraced us. He took our sin-dead livesand made us alive in Christ. He did all this onhis own, with no help from us! Then he picked us up and set us down in highest heaven in company with Jesus, our Messiah.
11. FORGIVENESS of sin• JESUS – The Gospel is about forgiveness. – Jesus stands in our place on the cross (substitutes himself for us) and the full wrath of God is poured out upon Him. – David Platt video
12. FORGIVENESS of sin• 4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6 Ephesians 2• God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:21
13. Review• What is sin?• Sin makes us s________.• Sin makes us d_____.• How does God make forgiveness of our sins possible?