1. <ul><li>Mobile Crowd Sourcing in the Developing World </li></ul>Nathan Eagle [email_address]
2. Who Uses Mobile Phones?
3. Why Africa? <ul><li>Africa: fastest growing mobile phone market in the world </li></ul><ul><li>Vibrant, growing community of computer science graduates </li></ul><ul><li>Mobile airtime and money Transfers </li></ul><ul><li>Truly innovative mobile applications and services </li></ul>
4. EPROM: Entrepreneurial Programming and Research on Mobiles <ul><li>Education </li></ul><ul><li>Research </li></ul><ul><li>Entrepreneurship </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Mozambique, Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, Senegal, Ghana, South Africa, Tanzania, Rwanda, Nigeria </li></ul></ul>http://eprom.mit.edu
5. EPROM: Entrepreneurship Mobile Application Development <ul><li>SMS Gateway </li></ul><ul><li>Air Time Regulator </li></ul><ul><li>Stolen Car Alerts </li></ul><ul><li>Business Directories </li></ul><ul><li>Pre-Paid Electricity </li></ul><ul><li>Weather Forecasts </li></ul><ul><li>MoSoko (Craig’s List) </li></ul><ul><li>Crush Lists... </li></ul>
6. EPROM: SMS BloodBank <ul><li>Real-time monitoring of blood supplies at local district hospitals in Eastern Kenya </li></ul>
7. Empowering the largest knowledge workforce on Earth.
8. Idle Times in Africa… Kenya - English Speaking - >75% Literacy Rates - 12M mobile phone subscribers Yet almost half the country is unemployed.
9. Crowd-Sourcing There are over 2 billion literate, mobile phone subscribers in the developing world, many living on less than $5 a day .
10. Corporations are inundated with small tasks that need to be done.
11. Cellular Networks How to increase ARPU? How to monetize underutilized capacity?
12. The Opportunity We can now enable these tasks to be distributed and completed via a mobile phone anywhere in the world.
13. Spring ‘09 Deployment The Dominican Republic Kenya Rwanda
14. Accuracy Inference
15. Expertise Inference
16. Translation Tasks There are over 100 languages in Kenya alone; companies like Nokia would love to localize their software, but don’t know how.
17. Citizen Journalism Compensate subscribers for reporting news as it happens.
18. Rural Banking Accumulate enough txteagle credit, and have a bank account opened in your name.
19. Village Phone Operators Grameen VPOs have downtime too… Multiple accounts can be set up for users of a single phone.
20. Surveys and Market Research Significant amounts of money on surveys in the field; we can provided targeted questionnaires to specific regions of interest.
21. USSD Sessions-based SMS! No preconceived cost. Lots of experience. Menu driven.
22. Beyond txt The Voice Channel… Targeted Radio Ads Speech Recognition Training Transcription
23. Service Now Live in Kenya Pilot Users: Security Guards Taxi Drivers High-School Students
24. Translation Tasks Completed. Enormous Uptake – no advertising required. > 15 languages completed shortcode 3007
25. 15 million Africans are ready for work. Got tasks?