View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Marie Sklodowska Curie By Vassilina Adamopoulou Lechena May 2012
20th century The century of atom• In 1919 scientists managed to break the atom• Maria Sklodowska – Curie was one of the first who researched and studied the radioactivity
• Maria was born on 7th November 1867 in Warsaw• She finished her school in 1883 and she worked as a teacher• In 1891 she went to Paris to study Mathematics and Physics in University of Sorbonne
• She graduated in Physics after two years and in Maths the year after.• She met Pierre Curie, Professor in the School of Physics, in 1894 and fell in love.• They got married the year after.
• In 1895 Roedgen discovered the x-ray and the next year Becquerel discovered a stronger unknown type of rays coming from the element Uranium.• In her laboratory Marie was searching for materials which released the same type of rays as Uranium. She discovered the element Thorium.
• In 1898 she discovered a new element which named Polonium, the name of her country.• She named the elements like Uranium and Polonium as “radioactive”.• Marie believed that there are more “radioactive” elements and continue her researches. She discovered the element Radium.
• After the birth of her daughter Irene, Marie felt very sick because of the explosion in radioactivity.
• On November of 1903 Marie and Pierre shared the Nobel Prize in Physics with Becquerel about their research in radioactivity.
• In 1904 Pierre became a professor in Sorbonne University . The same year Marie born her second daughter Eva.
• On April 1906 Pierre was killed in an accident.• Marie became a professor in Sorbonne and she was the first woman professor in the University.
• In 1911 she won a second Nobel Prize in Chemistry and she is the only woman in this honor.• During the First World War Marie helped with her knowledge.• In 1922 she elected in French Academy of Medical.• In 1928 she met the President of the USA
• On 4th of July1934 Marie died.• She is buried in the Pantheon in Paris. The French people wanted to honor Madame Curie as she is the only woman who is buried there!
The tomb of Marie and Pierre Curie in the Pantheon
• UNESCO and IUPAC declare 2011 as the International Year of Chemistry honoring the 100th anniversary of her Nobel Prize in Chemistry.