Summarization - We all require it... who is teaching it?
We all require it.
So who is teaching it?
Sean P. Nash - compiled April, 2009
+AGREE or DISAGREE-
• Summarization if one of the nine most effective teaching
strategies in the history of education.
• Summarization is restating the essence of text or an
experience in as few words as possible or in a new, yet
• Information student take in during a 45 min. lecture rarely
makes it to long-term memory.
• Summarization must be taught with an awareness that it is a
strategy for making content “stick.”
Do you require
within your course?
• ACTIVATE STUDENT’S PERSONAL
• PRIME STUDENT’S BRAINS
• TEACH TEXT STRUCTURE...
*PS- a solid “test taking”
strategy as well!
• chronological order
• compare & contrast
• cause & effect
• problem & solution
• INTRODUCE STUDENTS TO
• CHUNK TEXT AND LEARNING
• TEACH ACTIVE READING TOOLS
• STRESS SCHOLARLY OBJECTIVITY
• TEACH STUDENTS TO EVALUATE THEIR