Monday 17 October Topic: Cellular RespirationDO NOW:• Brainstorm everything that you can about energy.Think about things such as where it comes from, how itbecomes available, how does it change into other forms,what is it used for, what types there are, etc.HW:• 8-1 Reading for Understanding
Objective By the end of this class, you will be able to write the chemical equation for cell respiration and identify its reactants and products.Agenda Notes on cell respiration
Why do we need energy? Heterotrophs and Autotrophs The ability to do work To live To power functions in the cell To do your homework (muscle fiber, thinking) To move
In what form is energy available? Solar energy Electric energy Kinetic Chemical Potential Nuclear
How does our body convert thisenergy? ENERGY MUST BE AS ATP Adenosine Tri-phosphate We do not eat ATP The mitochondria makes it with metabolism What it takes in is called reactants Products come out of a reaction
Where do the waste products go? There are two waste products #1- Carbon dioxide-exhaling #2- Water-urinating, sweating, and exhaling
Tuesday 18 October Topic: Measuring energy in foodDO NOW:• Pick up a lab packet from the kidney table andcomplete the pre-lab assignmentHW:• Post-lab analysis questions
Objective Identify 3 similarities and 2 differences between cell respiration and burning food. Calculate the number of calories in a FritoAgenda Lab protocol Demo of burning food Labs part 1 & II
Lab Protocol All bags/excess paper/etc must be off the lab tables Any hair long enough is to be tied back During the burning portion, absolutely no getting up for anything (wait until after this portion of the lab is complete)Identify 3 similarities and 2 differences between cell respiration and burning food.Calculate the number of calories in a Frito
FRONT OF ROOM AND INDIVIDUAL DESKS HERE! Maximo Mariam Guerschom AniaWilliam Nellie Charlie Mark Damarys A’Shaun Gizela Marquise Noah Lowre Nahum Hazel Jaleel Stephanie Vilmari Antonio Cristian NicoleIsaiah Uriel Alondra Isaac Shreena Joas
If you’ve finished… Part I (burning food) of the lab ◦ Complete the table on pg 1 ◦ Write the analysis comparing and contrasting burning food to cell respiration Part II (measuring calories) ◦ Make sure all your data is filled in Both parts of the lab ◦ Make sure all lab pieces are in the metal tray ◦ Start on the remainder of the analysis questionsIdentify 3 similarities and 2 differences between cell respiration and burning food.Calculate the number of calories in a Frito
Thursday 20 OctoberTopic: Exercise, Cell Respiration, andyour bodyDO NOW:• Pick up a packet from the kidney table and complete thefront page (“pre-lab”). You should fill in the blanks andwrite hypotheses for how exercise affects the body.HW:• Reflections and conclusions questions• Study for quiz
Objective Explain how the chemical equation for cell respiration relates to breathing, and why we breathe harder during exercise.Agenda Protocol for outdoor activity How to measure a pulse Outside activity!
Pulse & Breathing rate Everyone focus for a few seconds and note if your breathing is slow, medium, or fast (compared to how you normally breathe) Next, find your pulse on your neck or your wrist and we will measure it for 15 seconds ◦ Multiply this number by 4 to get beats/min (bpm)
Before going outside… You only need to bring your lab and a pencil and can leave everything else here We go out the back stairs, out the door, and around to the crosswalk Line up with your partner along the edge of the basketball court by the red stairs Once everyone completes the activity, listen for me to say “Now” and “End” which will be the timed minute for pulse Swap with your partner
Friday 21 OctoberTopic: Cell Respiration Review & QuizDO NOW:• Get a clicker from the kidney table and review sheet• Take out your notes on cell respirationHW:• Read 38-1 and take notes in your notebook• Think of a food/meal that contains carbohydrates, lipids(fats), and proteins. Write it down after your readingnotes!
Objective By the end of this class, you will be able to apply knowledge of cellular respiration to answer short-answer and open- response questions on the quizAgenda Cell respiration review Quiz
1. What do you call the starting materials in a chemical equation?A. Products 91%B. IngredientsC. ReactantsD. Starters 4% 4% 0% A. B. C. D.
2. What are the reactants in cellular respiration?A. O2 and CO2 83%B. O2 and GlucoseC. Glucose and ATPD. CO2, H2O, ATP, and heat 9% 4% 4% A. B. C. D.
3. What are the products in cellular respiration?A. O2 and CO2 84%B. O2 and GlucoseC. Glucose and ATPD. CO2, H2O, ATP, and heat 8% 4% 4% A. B. C. D.
4. What is the purpose of cellularrespiration? Why is it important?A. To help us breatheB. To make glucose for 82% cellsC. To make ATP for cellsD. To take in oxygen 18% and release carbon 0% 0% dioxide A. B. C. D.
5. The organelle where cell respirationtakes place is theA. Nucleus 91%B. LysosomeC. ChloroplastD. VacuoleE. MitochondrionF. Ribosome 9% 0% 0% 0% 0% A. B. C. D. E. F.
6. Why do some cells have moremitochondria than other cells? 96%A. The cells use more energyB. The cells store more nutrientsC. The cells degrade more proteinsD. The cells divide 4% more frequently 0% 0% A. B. C. D.
7. A poison that prevents cell respiration inmitochondria will affect the production of…A. ATP 81%B. GlucoseC. OxygenD. RNA 10% 5% 5% A. B. C. D.
8. Choose the correct statement aboutphotosynthesis and cell respiration:A. Both in same 74% organelleB. Both happen in all living thingsC. P produces carbon 17% dioxide, and CR uses 4% 4% carbon dioxideD. P stores energy and A. B. C. D. CR releases energy
9. Which happens in the reaction on your paper?A. Energy from ATP is used to make glucoseB. ADP adds a high-energy bond to its structureC. ADP is used to provide oxygen to a cellD. Energy is stored in ATP for future use
10. Which conclusion is best supported by thegraph? A. ATP production is independent of sugar 81% B. Amount of cell respiration is constant C. ATP is only produced when sugar is above 4 g/L D. Amount of cell resp. 14% 5% increases as sugar 0% concentration increases A. B. C. D.
Exercise Lab Review Why does breathing rate increase during exercise (2 reasons)? ◦ ◦ Why does heart rate increase during exercise? ◦ Does the amount of cell respiration increase during exercise? Why or why not? ◦