1. Historical Perspectives fromCORE Group Members and theLinks for Life/FANSHA Process Getting the Knack of NACS SOTA February 22-23, 2012
2. The Road to NACS is Littered withCORE Group Members…Nutrition Working GroupHIV/AIDS Working GroupCORE Group emphasis on integrationOthers?
3. Another view of the elephant:the Links for Life Initiative Africa Forums ’06 and ‘09 FANSHA Communities of Practice in Malawi and Ethiopia involving many CORE members
4. “AIDS, hunger and poverty arethe ‘perfect storm’ threatening toovertake all of Africa. Togetherwe can help turn the tide andprovide families living with HIVand AIDS the tools andresources they need to liftthemselves out of poverty andcreate a healthier future.”-- Jeffrey Sachs, Director of theUN Millennium Project, at hisopening address for the AfricaForum 2006
5. …enabling 220 front-line workers from 16African nations toexchange ideas & learnfrom each other abouthow to integrateHIV&AIDS, food,nutrition and livelihoodprogramming.
6. FANSHA: Food And NutritionSecurity & HIV/AIDS Advocacy Group In late 2006, PCI convened an advocacy group comprised of 43 members representing 25 organizations. Through monthly conference calls and regular email communiqués, this informal group, now known as FANSHA, has fostered information sharing, strategizing and coordination focused on this critical topic. The group’s overarching purpose is to strengthen awareness of the interaction between food & nutrition insecurity and HIV&AIDS with the aim of influencing key decisions and processes that encourage reduced risk of HIV transmission and increased resilience to HIV&AIDS
7. Walking further down memorylane… International AIDS Conference in Toronto, 2006 UNGASS June 2006 Declaration, Article 28: 28. Resolve to integrate food and nutritional support, with the goal that all people at all times will have access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food to meet their dietary needs and food preferences, for an active and healthy life, as part of a comprehensive response to HIV/AIDS;
8. And further…--Food/Nutrition and OVC Meeting in Rome, 2007--WHO Regional Consultations on Nutrition and HIV held in Africa and Asia throughout the mid-2000sAnd many, many other steps along the way…