Utilizing OPM3 and PMO Tools in Achieving
Better Business and Financial Results
Nada A. Abandah, OPM3, PgMP
Helps you achieve results, but
it is not the result!
Examine five different challenges in five
Assess the options those organizations had,
and what option pursued,
Critique the outcome, and Share the
◦ 83 interrelated, interdependent projects,
◦ Aggressive deadline, with short market window,
◦ Functional staff “Managing Projects” with limited or
no PM experience,
◦ Zero tolerance for mistakes, delays, or problems.
◦ Provide proper training for functional staff
◦ Hire Project Management Staff
◦ Create detailed, idiot-proof methodology
◦ Manage the Projects by the PMO
◦ Create a Master Plan of Milestone plans.
◦ Focus on managing interdependencies
◦ Provide early warning signs
◦ Create a culture of urgency
◦ PMO does all paper work, PMs focus on work.
◦ Family business in its second generation,
◦ Business grew organically from 18 to over 300 in
less than 6 months,
◦ Huge amount of waste, unjustified costs, and
◦ Centralized decision-making, senior management
is a bottle-neck,
◦ No streamlined operations, and projects running in
◦ Standardization is the first step of Improvement,
◦ Start with the vision and strategic objectives, and
work your way from there,
◦ Focus on the right things that impact the bottom
Business, Building a Process,
◦ Newly established PMO office, with less than 2
years of Project Management Culture,
◦ Diversified projects in scope, size, nature,
importance, and needs,
◦ Departmental PMO (within IT Department) servicing
the entire organization.
◦ Make the methodology extensive to suite the
diversity of projects,
◦ Create flavors of the methodology
High level, monthly
or twice a month.
SOW Simple, weekly
◦ Focusing on % complete as a reporting tool,
◦ Senior Management insisting on knowing the
◦ Minister under huge public pressure for delivering,
◦ Not seeing the value in having a PMO.
◦ Focusing on Bottom Line (what did the result of my
◦ Eliminating % complete from reporting.
◦ Local Company competing at international level,
◦ Creating detailed, yet flexible methodology that
maintains the consistency, but allows for
◦ Go Agile!
◦ Adapt a well-known methodology (i.e. Oracle,
Rational…) and customize it
Focus on what’s important, and don’t get
derailed by the temptation of being everything,
to everyone, at all times,
Learn the Methodology, then choose when to
Reporting should help you see early warning
signs, and what needs to be done to achieve
results instead of highlighting the achievements.
Methodology help institutionalize, increase
predictability, and enhance business results.
To receive detailed case studies and copy of
presentation, send a blank email to
Follow @OPM3 and @IntrinsicTips on Twitter
for daily tips on enhancing Organizational
Maturity in OPM
Check the Detailed presentations on
SlideShare and Prezi