What do film companies have to
think about when they are
targeting different audiences
GLOBAL AND LOCAL
At the Pre -Production Stage
• While the idea is being developed in the pre-production phase the
producers will need to think about the potential target audience,
how the audience will relate to the idea, how many people would
watch the film.
• Global Appeal
The Hobbit Fifth Estate Shifty
Casting Appeal – Global or Local?
Riz Ahmed Shifty
Daniel Mays Chris
Jason Flemyng Glen
Nitin Ganatra Rez
Jay Simpson Trevor
Dannielle Brent Jasmine
Francesca Annis Valerie
Jason Maza Malik
David Thewlis Nick Davier
Dan Stevens Ian Katz
Daniel Brühl Daniel Berg
Ludger Pistor Supervisor
Ken Stott Balin
Bifur / Tom
Gloin / Will
Director Appeal – Global or Local?
• Peter Jackson Bill Condon Eran Creevy
• Summarise why The Hobbit appealed to a global audience
• How did The Fifth Estate try to appeal to both a local and global
audience? Why do you think it failed to appeal to the global market
• Why would Shifty not appeal to a global audience? How does it
appeal to a UK audience?
Distribution -Local VS Global
• Who distributed our case study film?
• Local Appeal – will often have an understated/small distribution
campaign. The budget will be a lot smaller. Independent
Distributors tend to be the people that distribute films with local
appeal (Warp/ WarpX /Metrodome/ Optimum Releasing)
• Global – distribution campaign will be big, backed with a lot of
money and will be controlled by the big six -Viacom Time Warner
Walt Disney, Fox, Universal/Vivendi, and Sony. They don’t play well
• Why did it work for The Hobbit but not The Fifth Estate?
Planning a response in Groups
• What are some of the reasons for the popularity of US
produced films for UK audiences and can UK films achieve
success in the US?
• Write the introduction to this question (200 words)
• What would be your central argument and what four key points
would you make?
• Give specific details from the case studies and explain why you
would include that information.
• What other films could you talk about and what could you say?
• What key terminology would you use (explain the terms in your
Prepare as a ONE PAGE word document that can be photocopied for
the class and hand in via Student Drop