Institutions and Audiences
Overview of the unit
Sample exam questions
The Case Studies
• Section B of the exam (Section A is Television
• Same weighting as Section A – 50 marks so spend
equal time on it!
• Section B will assess
– Your understanding of how media institutions (film
companies) currently operate
– Your ability to explore ideas about how audience use
media (in particular Film)
– Your understanding of the relationship between
audiences and institution
Cross Media Ownership
The Media Triangle
What has been produced
Who has produced the text
Who has the text been made for and
what do they do with it
Look at the past questions
What key words/themes do you notice
Write each one on a post-it note
Stick them up on the board. Group together
the common words you come up with
What the Spec says
Read through the hand out carefully
This is the outline provided by OCR.
What topics have come up in and past?
What could still come up?
Case Study One
The Hobbit – An unexpected journey
American Fantasy Epic!
Directed by Peter Jackson
Key Cast Ian McKellen Martin Freeman
Richard Armitage Ken Stott Graham McTavish
William Kircher James Nesbitt
• Budget – between $200 and $315 million!!!!
• Box Office – over $1 billion so far…
• New Line Cinema (Time Warner)
Case Study Two
The Fifth Estate
American/ British/Belgian Thriller????
Directed by Bill Condon
Starring Benedict Cumberbatch Daniel Brühl
Anthony Mackie David Thewlis Stanley Tucci
• Budget: $26 million
• Box Office: $8.5 million
Case Study Three
• British urban thriller, from writer/director Eran
Creevy. Set on the outskirts of London, it follows
themes of friendship and loyalty over the course
of 24 hours in the life of a young drug dealer, the
• Budget £100,000
• Box Office $244,579
• BBC Films, Film London, Between the Eyes
• In your groups you are to research one of the
• You need to complete all the sections on the
sheet and your work will be photocopied for
the rest of the class so do a good job! TYPE IT
• Hand in via Student Drop.