1. Chemistry Degrees - with a little extra!Year in Industry or Year Abroad Dr Steven Henderson The University of Edinburgh
2. Caveat• All of the information in this presentation relates to Edinburgh Chemistry degrees – other universities may adopt different practises.
3. Year in Industry• Available on the MChem degrees – not BSc. – Makes the degree five years in duration • UNLESS your exams results allow entry into second year.• The Year in Industry is taken in year 4.• By the time you are on placement, you have an ordinary degree – means you know enough Chemistry to be useful to an employer!
4. Year in Industry• In 2011-12, the average salary was £16,700• The placement is a full year in duration• You work in an industrial research lab on a defined project• You are visited twice by your academic supervisor for assessment purposes• On your return, you present your work to your peer group and staff - assessed
5. Year in Industry• The placement marks contributes 20% to your final degree classification – the same contribution as your from year 3.• Placements are competitive – the Industrial company decide which students they will take.• Placement locations are all over the UK and abroad – USA, Europe and Far East
6. Year Abroad (with Industry)• Year Abroad degrees are based in Universities*• Within Europe, under the Erasmus scheme• Elsewhere, normally as exchanges.• Normally the exchanges are with other Universitas 2 institutions* Singapore NTU combines with Industry
7. Why take the extra year?• Gives extra value to your CV – Industrial placement let you see if you like Industrial Chemistry as a career – Many companies are multinational • Shows that you are capable of moving out of your comfort zone • The company gets to have a year long interview! • So do you!
8. Why take the extra year?• Year abroad can allow you to experience cultures which are new to you• If the language used is not English….• Opportunity for further travel when not working• Tremendous fun!
9. Overall• The best reasons for doing an integrated Masters degree (in my opinion)• 100% satisfaction from our students• Industrial students earn money!• Quote “the best year of my life, I didn’t want to come home!”