The Internet and Your BusinessPresentation Transcript
The Internet and Your Business Myles Braithwaiteme@myl.be | http://mylesbraithwaite.com | @mylesb
Why do I need anonline presence?
With Social Network services like Yelp, GigPark,and GetSatisfaction your customers mightalready be providing your online identity.
This is a big problem.
Write Something Good 17%Write Something Bad 83%
That bad comment or review might be the firstintroduction a prospective customer sees aboutyour company.
False True50% 50%
Step One• Register your company on every review site on the Internet. • Or at least on Yelp, GetSatisfaction, and GigPark.• The idea here is to look public.
• A recent example of a company that did this badly was Apple this week.
• A recent example of a company that did this badly was Apple this week.• and Amazon last Thursday to Friday.
• A recent example of a company that did this badly was Apple this week.• and Amazon last Thursday to Friday.• and Sony which is still going on.
• Companies that survive PR disasters are the ones that are completely public.
Step Two• Register your company on all the Social Networking sites on the Internet. • Or at least Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.• Have a public email address and check it daily. • firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.• The idea here is to look accessible.
Customer Support• I am a tall guy and the strap on my bag was to short so it wouldnt sit properly on my lap on the subway.
Praise• CloudApp made a really cool UI re-design of their Web Application.
Tools• CoTweet - A better interface for companies that run Twitter accounts.• HootSuite - Will connect to your FaceBook, Twitter, and other social networking sites.
Step Three• Have your own site on the Internet that is under your ownership.• Buy a domain name.• Get some web hosting.• It might cost you around $30 a year but its worth the $0.10 a day.• Buy one of those reusable coffee cups for $5 and get $0.35 off your morning coffee.
• When a prospect searches your company on Google, Bing, etc. your website will be the first result.• Even bad reviews will increase your PageRanking (checkout DecorYourEyes http://c.myl.be/6M1x).
Side Note• If you are looking for a job buy your name as a domain name (e.x. mylesbraithwaite.com) and get email hosting.• That way on your CV you will have a professional email address (e.x. email@example.com instead of firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Buy your kids domain name as while and give it to them on their 18th birthday.
• There are a lot of great web hosts out there (but most of them are bad).• Good • NearlyFreeSpeech - if you like to learn. • Hover - if you just want a website and Email.• Bad • GoDaddy (sexist and kills elephants)
Beware of Scammers• To design a simple website like the one I just showed took me literally twenty minutes (I spent fifteen of trying to pick the right font).
Hiring a Web Designer1. You will generally enjoy their company.2. They will not ask to put a link at the bottom of your page saying "Designed by Me".3. They will not like you calling them every time you need to update a page.
• If you need help you can email me at email@example.com and I can refer you to someone I trust.
Marketing on the Internet.
People dont likeadvertising on the Internet.
Google Adwords• Similar to an auction.• Can set a Geographical location. • World • Canada • Ontario • Greater Toronto Area • Ajax
But really people hate advertising on the Internet.
Give something away for free.
Not a coupon or a toaster.
Do we have anyone inthe audience who has a skilled trade?