1. Teacher: Melissa Winfield-Corbett
Content Area Subject: Math
Curriculum Area: Place Value, Regrouping, Addition, Multiplication
Grade Levels: 2-6
CCSS Learning Standards:
· Fluently divide multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm.
· Fluently add, subtract, multiply, and divide multi-digit decimals using
the standard algorithm for each operation.
· • Use place value understanding and properties of operations to
perform multi-digit arithmetic.
· TSW use dice to learn about number patterns and place value
· TSW add numbers and use place value to regroup.
Materials: Colored dice, dice key, game recording sheet for each
player, pencils, scrap paper
1. The teacher will divide students into groups of 3-4. Each group
will be given a given number of different colored dice and a game
recording sheet. Each colored die will represent a place value (ex:
red die would represent the ones place, green die would represent
the tens place, white die would represent the hundreds place,
2. etc…). The teacher will then tell the group what number they will
be racing to (ex: 1,000, 5,000, etc…).
2. The students will decide on the turn order. Next, the first
player will roll the dice and record the number rolled on their
game recording sheet. Allow each player to roll once and record
their numbers on their recording sheets. On the second roll, each
player will record the second number rolled and add the first roll
to the second roll. They will write the answer (sum of the 1st and
2nd roll) in the totals column. The players will continue to roll the
dice and add each new number rolled to the totals column. The
player to reach or pass the specified number first wins the game!
Evaluation: The game recording sheet can be used as a way of
evaluating students. The teacher can use this and the student’s
scrap paper to view student progress.