Challenges and opportunities in
By psd http://www.flickr.com/photos/psd/3717444865/
• Prof at the Open
• Digital Scholarship book
• OER Research Hub
• Blogger edtechie.net
• The Battle for Open
“A university is just a group of buildings
gathered around a library.”
• Hypothesis: openness is key to future
direction of libraries and universities
• Social media underlies openness
• Look at different aspects of openness
• Social media role for each
• Why has openness been successful
• Some issues & challenges
Why has openness been successful?
• From open source:
– Efficient way of working
– “Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow”
It matches the role of universities &
• Open scholarship
• That’s not what I meant at all!
But researchers aren’t keen
“frequent or intensive use is
rare, and some researchers
regard blogs, wikis and other
novel forms of
communication as a waste of
time or even dangerous”
(Proctor, Williams and Stewart (2010)
Carpenter et al describe researchers as
‘risk averse’ and ‘behind the curve in
using digital technology’
“The advice given to pre-tenure
scholars was consistent across all
fields: focus on publishing in the
right venues and avoid spending
too much time on public
engagement, committee work,
writing op-ed pieces, developing
websites, blogging, and other non-
traditional forms of electronic
Perils of Open scholarship
• Job perils
• Open access is key, not always encouraged
• Takes investment to reach the pay-off
• “It’s not proper scholarship!”
• Not much of: stealing ideas, online abuse,
conflict with traditional role
• Get started!
• Find your voice/tool
• Give a bit of you
• Be a good networker
• Use a mix
• Don’t overplan
• Be open
Role of social media
Openness and social media blur
boundaries between formal/informal,
The role of the networked librarian
• To be the best node in the network?
• To act as a useful filter
• Community building
• Bringing relevant material to debates
• Having an appreciation of openness & social
media are key
• Do you agree with the notion that open
education is significant direction?
• Has openness won?
• Does social media underlie openness?
• Thoughts on the networked librarian?
Innovation is the important element of
• Open is not just ‘zero cost’
• Openness can allow:
– New business models
– New entrants
– Reputation enhancement
– Democratisation of learning
– Increased access
• Open allows experimentation
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.