Be the first to like this
If the beginning of this school year is any indication of how the rest of school year 2010-2011 will be, then you are in for an exciting ride. The beginning of the Mount Vernon story has been filled with innovation, service, spiritual growth, academic vigor, and a great deal of fun. For example,
* Hundreds of students and parents processed in the Glenn Campus Gymnasium for Convocation to hear a message of no reserves, no retreats, no regrets.
* A ribbon cutting officially opened the new Middle School Academic Building.
* The first blue/gold spirit day with all students and faculty participating on either the blue or gold team.
* Thousands of cheers and yells at the all school pep rally to kick off fall sports.
* The Center for Design Thinking launched in the Lower School focusing on four different grades throughout the 2010-2011 school year.
* 4000 plus items were collected by students for the all school supply drive through the Community Service and Philanthropy Program.
* Dr. Jacobsen’s, Head of School Address, focused on The Year of Design and the 21st Century Design Initiative.
* Four fun filled retreats (seniors, sixth grade, eighth grade, and grades 9-11) were organized for growth, bonding, and preparation.
* In addition to the college fair, 28 college admission representatives from leading universities visited MVPS juniors and seniors.
* The kickoff of the new community service and outreach program with Helping Hands Day where 29 non-profits around Atlanta were served by MVPS students.
* The first ever Concert on the Green welcomed an overwhelming amount of families, students and faculty.
* The Global Learning Initiative kick-off, the study of infectious diseases, started with speakers from the Center for Disease Control.
* Many exciting moments and victories on the playing fields at all levels and with all fall sports.
* Engaged students utilizing new technologies in the classroom ranging from netbooks in the Lower School to newly installed Promethean ActivBoards in the Lower School and Middle School.
* Upper School students unifying with Preschool and Lower School students through a movie night, story reading, and perhaps a smile or high-five in carpool.
This is only the beginning! The School looks forward to the coming months and many other exciting moments that the rest of the school year has in store as we fulfill our passion to empower all MVPS students to think, to lead, to serve, and to live their lives with wisdom and moral integrity.