2. Australian Environment DESERTS Australia has a total of 10 Desert’s. Which take up 18% of Australia’s total landmass. CANYONS Their are only a few canyons in Australia and they’re all slot canyons. The largest one is in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney.
3. Australian Environment FORESTS Australia has seven different types of forests, each have their own significant features. My favourite are the rainforests. Above is a picture from the Daintree forest in Queensland. It is also the biggest rainforest in Australia. The Eucalyptus tree is the most common Australian native tree. There are over 700 species. Most Common Tree
4. Melbourne Australia is made up of 6 states and 2 territories. Victoria is the green state on the picture to the right. Melbourne is the city in which I was born. It is the capital city of Victoria. VICTORIA To the left is a photo of Brighton Beach with Melbourne city in the backround. This beach is right near my house.
5. Melbourne Melbourne was voted in 2011 as the World’s Most Liveable City. Four cities of Australia made it into the top 10 most liveable cities of the world. Over 4 million people live in Melbourne. It is the second most populated city in Australia, with only 70 thousand less people than Sydney.
6. The Shrine of Remembrance, shown below, was built in Melbourne as a memorial to the men and woman who served in WW1. It is now used as a memorial to all Australians who have served in war. Melbourne MONUMENTS Flinders street station is the central railway station of Melbourne city. It was built in 1854, It connects to all train lines. It is a cultural icon to Melbourne and across from the station is the modern Federation Square which is a meeting ground for all people of Melbourne. MONUMENTS
7. Melbourne I live in a main city of Australia called Melbourne. In my area (south east suburbs) we live on streets, avenues, roads etc in houses of different shapes and sizes. These are some pictures of my house and my street. MY HOUSE
8. Sport in Australia Australian Football is different to football in other areas of the world. Our game is played with a different ball and very different rules. It is the same name but a completely different sport. Football is an extremely competitive sport and is very enjoyable to watch. Melbourne hosts the football finals every year in September at the MCG (Melboune Cricket Grounds).
9. In Australia their are many sports played. I play Netball (right), Softball (below) and Soccer (football - right). AFL (Australian Football) is very important to most Australian people. I like it, however; I am not obsessed like other people may be. I prefer soccer which is what we call your football in Australia. Sport in Australia
10. Food of Australia Melbourne is a very multi-cultural city. This means their are people of many different cultures living in Melbourne. The food each individual eats depends mostly on their ethnicity. I am greek and therefore I eat wonderfully cooked lambs, cheese and spinach pitas, heart warming soups and many other favourites. My italian boyfriend eats pasta, pasta, pasta and PASTA!
11. Food of Australia One food the majority of Australian’s will agree upon is: VEGEMITE. Vegemite is a delicious spread which you put on toast. It can be eaten at any time of the day. It is an icon of Australia and the theme song is known nation wide. MEAL TIMES I wake up for university at 7:30am. I eat breakfast (which is usually toast or muesli) at 8:30am . I don’t plan when I have lunch, it generally occurs when I meet with a friend. In general lunch is associated with midday so 12:00pm – 1:00pm. I usually will eat a salad, sushi or foccacia. Dinner is served when my mum returns from work. It is normaly at 6:30 – 7:30 pm . It isn’t good to eat after 8:00pm as your digestive system is idly working.
12. Television Their are two main television programs in Australia that have been around for decades. The first one which I used to watch is Neighbours. The other is Home and Away. They both lead similiar story lines which is young – middle age dramas and the life of people within a small community.
13. Television My favourite television programs are all american made. <ul><li>They include: </li></ul><ul><li>The Simpsons </li></ul><ul><li>Family Guy </li></ul><ul><li>Gossip Girl </li></ul><ul><li>Entourage </li></ul><ul><li>Phineas and Ferb </li></ul>
14. Australian Anthem ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR Australians all let us rejoice, For we are young and free; We've golden soil and wealth for toil; Our home is girt by sea; Our land abounds in nature's gifts Of beauty rich and rare; In history's page, let every stage Advance Australia Fair. In joyful strains then let us sing, Advance Australia Fair Beneath our radiant Southern Cross We'll toil with hearts and hands; To make this Commonwealth of ours Renowned of all the lands; For those who've come across the seas We've boundless plains to share; With courage let us all combine To Advance Australia Fair. In joyful strains then let us sing, Advance Australia Fair.
15. Australian Animals Kookaburras are cheeky. They swoop down and steal your food out of your hands and then they laugh at you! Kangaroos are the best boxers! They jump as their way of transport and they have a pouch where their joey sleeps and stays until big enough to be on it’s own.
16. Australian Animals Emu’s are the largest birds in Australia. It is also the second largest bird in the world. Platypus’ are mammals that ay eggs! Along with the echidna’s, they are the only mammals known to lay eggs. They live in Tasmania and the east of Australia. All the land animals shown live in mainland areas of Australia. They aren’t ever seen in populated areas such as Melbourne or Sydney besides the Zoo’s.
17. My Australian Family My family are the most important people in my life. Here are my 2 sisters, my parents, my dog, my grandparents, my cousins, my boyfriend and my darling Cassie.