Every formula in Excel must begin with an
equal sign (=).
The formula bar displays the contents of the
Negative numbers should be preceded by
minus sign ‘-’ or enclosed within
The earliest date that Excel can recognize is
January 1, 1900.
Consider a date such as 23/11/2008. Here
the ‘/ ‘ is called the date separator, the date
separator may also be ‘-’.
‘:’ is a time separator, e.g 14:20.
In the active cell, press CTRL + ;
In the active cell, press CTRL + SHIFT + ;
Formatting of cell accordingly.
1. Place the mouse over cell G1.
2. The pointer should now be in the shape of a
3. When the pointer changes to white cross,
hold the left mouse button down and drag
to cell G4.
4. Release the left mouse button when cells
G1, G2, G3, G4 are highlighted.
5. From the excel ribbon at the top of the
screen, locate the alignment panels.
1. Click the office button. Click Excel options.
2. Clicking Proofing. Click AutoCorrect
3. Click the AutoCorrect tab.
4. Select the Replace Text as you type and
1. Choose Office, Excel Options to display the
Excel Options dialog box.
2. Click popular and then click Edit Custom List to
open Custom lists dialog box.
3. An insertion point appears in the ListEntries
4. Type an item from your list into the ListEntries
box and press Enter Repeat this step for each
5. Click Add to add the list to the CustomLists
6. Click OK and then click OK again return to the
Excel includes a built-in spell checker that
can catch and remove spelling mistakes.
Click on the Review tab in the ribbon and
select the Spelling command button.
Ignore once or Ignore all
Add to Dictionary
1. Select cell or group of cells that you want
2. Right click and from the menu select
3. Click on one of the format buttons on
• Using Names in Formulae
• Moving Formulaes and References.
We can use references to cells located on a
worksheet, you can also use references to
cells located on other worksheets in the
General format Sheetname!CellAddress
If your sheet name includes spaces, you must
include the entire sheet reference in single
quotation marks, for
e.g ‘January Expentiture’!A1
We can even use this references in our
References to cells in other workbooks are
called external references.
General Format is
‘[Budget for 2008.xlsx]Sheet1’!A1