My Favourite Top 10 Web2.0 tools for 2011. This is a presentation given at a recent VITTA annual conference, outlining my favourite tools, some classroom applications and examples. What are your
My Favourite Top 10 Web2.0 tools for 2011. This is a presentation given at a recent VITTA annual conference, outlining my favourite tools, some classroom applications and examples. What are your favourite tools?
6. Key in the terms or copy and paste text into the window<br />If two words are to stay together use ~ between the words<br />Key in the word several times, if you wish the word to appear larger in word cloud.<br />
7. Uses<br />Word cloud<br />Headers on documents<br />Visual summaries<br />Online in blog posts/wikis etc<br />Save as jpg:-<br />http://teacherbootcamp.edublogs.org/2010/02/14/12-word-cloud-resources-tips-tools/<br />52 interesting ways to use wordle<br />https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=dhn2vcv5_157dpbsg9c5<br />
8. To use your word cloud<br />Use PrtSc on PC<br />Command-Shift-3 captures and copies the entire screen. Command-Shift-4 enables you to select which part of the screen to copy<br />Add to MS Paint or image editing program, crop and save as jpg or png<br />Use as an image in handouts or online in blogs, wikis etc<br />
12. Cross culture blogging!<br /> Examples of Blog Post Prompts<br /><ul><li>Use of technology
13. Free topics
14. Global warming
15. Favorite musician?
16. Illegal Immigration
17. Popular local tourist destinations etc
18. Terrorism </li></ul> <br />
19. <ul><li>There are plenty of illegal immigrants in australia and each day many are sent home. illegal immigrants tend to have a non valid visa. some people who come here dont have a visa at all. Illegal immigrants come from all over the world. what happens to all of the illegal immigrants once they have been found out is they get relocated back to the country they came from.</li></li></ul><li>Melissa // Oct 18th 2008 at 2:30 pm<br /><ul><li>That is what happens here in the United States as well. Visas are really a big part of it because visas take a long time to get, and then people just come illegally. Where are the illegal immigrants that come to Australia from?</li></ul>Juliet Pham// Oct 18th 2008 at 5:21 pm<br /><ul><li>How do you feel about the fact that the illegal immigrants are relocated? Do you believe that it’s fair? I don’t think that it is. I really think that it would depend on the reason. Are the immigrants doing any harm really? That’s pretty interesting that Australia does have illegal immigrants because I never thought a place like Australia would because of the fact that it doesn’t have any countries near it or any land bridges.</li></ul>Travis Bugge// Oct 18th 2008 at 5:21 pm<br /><ul><li>how do they get there? are they snuck on a plane or something? fur us, its pretty much peole crossing the border, or swimming over here. which part of austrailia do they go to?</li></li></ul><li>What makes a good teacher?<br />
23. Student Blog challenge starts Sept 2011http://studentchallenge.edublogs.org/about/<br />
24. Blogging Challenges – great for learning/networking<br />http://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/<br />http://g2challenge.global2.vic.edu.au/<br />
25. 3. Skype (www.skype.com)<br /><ul><li>VOiP
26. Live chat
30. saves chats
31. Can record conferencing-
33. Share a screen
34. Send large files</li></li></ul><li>
35. E-intercultural Learning Adventures<br />
36. Dancing, drumming and Malaysian games<br />
37. Lost in Malaysia<br />
38. Skype and Videoconferencing<br />
39. Speaking directly with earthquake victims 12 hours after the occurrrence using skype<br />
40. Will Richardson quote on Learning is Now!<br />What a great model for the immediacy of learning that can happen these days, and the relevance. When you think about all of the things that your students could learn and practice here, interviewing skills, geography and geology, information research, retrieval, editing, organization and sharing, all in the larger context of perhaps assisting those in need who were thousands of kilometers away. I want to make the point, however, that it's all grounded in your own understanding of these technologies and the ways in which they can help us connect. If you didn't have that knowledge and experience, this probably would not have happened, and that really is the goal of what we're all trying to do here, get more comfortable in using these technologies to learn in our own practice. Thanks so much for sharing this great snippet of learning from your classroom.<br />
41. Grades 3 to 7 listen to students from Singapore talk about racial harmony<br />
42. International Friendship Day<br />
43. Online debating<br />
44. Groups in Skype<br />Teachable moments<br />Just in time<br />Learning is now!<br />
45. Cross adding<br />12+1 or 11+2 gives 13<br />Verdic Maths <br />with Sebastian Panakal<br />Kerula India<br />
49. Some useful sites<br /><ul><li>Tips on videoconferencing</li></ul>http://murcha.wordpress.com/2008/12/06/using-skype-in-education/ <br /><ul><li>Around the world in 80 schools</li></ul>http://langwitches.org/blog/2009/01/03/around-the-world-with-80-schools/<br /><ul><li>Wiki for skype in schools</li></ul>http://skypeinschools.pbworks.com/w/page/11008318/FrontPage<br /><ul><li>Theedublogger</li></ul>http://theedublogger.com/want-to-connect-with-other-classrooms/<br />
50. Skype in educationhttp://education.skype.com/<br />NEW!<br />
52. Students as experts:- Year 9/10 students answer questions from USA so students could develop Australian travel posters<br />
53. Across the World – Russian linkups<br />http://acrosstheworld.wikispaces.com<br />
54. Request from Ekaterina<br />The US Embassy and one of our local libraries are organising a competition of students projects under the general title "Russia nad the USA - Facing Each Other" . One of the projects category is Climate Change Issue. The school kids will have to present any kind of investigation on the Global Warming topic. <br />
55. 5. Wallwisher-http://www.wallwisher.com<br />Sticky notes on a common wall<br />
57. Flatclassroom Student Summit for Global Education conference<br />
58. 6. Voicethread<br />Voice<br />Video<br />Text<br />Images<br />http://www.voicethread.com<br />Online podcasting that can be collaborative<br /><ul><li>Storytelling
59. Global projects
60. Tutorials</li></li></ul><li>Advantages of Voice Thread<br />Allows editing at any time and stage<br />drawing tools<br />Text or audio or video comments<br />Can be shared<br />Collaborative<br />Convert to a movie<br />
61. Voicethread<br />Tutorials<br />
62. Voicethread: http://www.voicethread.comMoving on...... at school<br />Students in grade 5 or 6 from UK, Thailand and Australia, share a voicethread and talk about what they are looking forward to in “moving on”, what they are nervous about and what they share in common.<br />
71. Asian Connections<br />Taman Burkitt Maluri School, Kuala Lumpur<br />
72. What do you look for in a friend?<br />
73. What symbol best describes your country?<br />The emu<br />
74. Earth science week<br />Two world experts speak to years 5 to 11<br />Young C Y Ng from Hong Kong <br />on the Hong Kong GeoPark<br />in elluminate. <br />Classes from Victoria, interested <br />Experts/adults from Hong Kong, <br />China etc all in the classroom.<br />
75. Ian Lewis on Kanawinka – <br />Volcanoes and Caves<br />
76. The Bats<br /><ul><li>Cara hawk: his wing looks like it's going to brake
77. 4B DGPS: what age do the bats learn to fly?
78. Billy-Jo Hawk: Did it try to escape from you?
79. Grade 2/3 Woodford: How many teeth do bats have?
80. Trevo hawk: what happen to it eye
81. Cara hawk: how easy is it to brake a bats wing
82. smithy: arent they posisoness
83. Grade 2/3 Woodford: What do bats feel like?
84. jasmine .j: do they hurt
85. scottinea: are the bats dead or did u catch them alive?
86. Grade 2/3 Woodford: What do bats eat?
87. 4B DGPS: are they really blind?
88. Billy-Jo Hawk: Is there black bats, like full black?
89. Moderator (Miss Iro, Mrs Gow and year 6/7): do bats carry any diseases
90. Grade 2/3 Woodford: What sort of fauna and flora live in the sinkholes?</li></li></ul><li>And also....<br /><ul><li>Joshua: i like red rock
91. ihAVE BEEN UP THEIR
92. we are going there soon
93. It's pretty :)
94. do you know where mteccells??
95. water looks awesome
96. Looks good to swim in ;)
97. wow thats blue, how did it get blue?
98. do you know where mteccells is??
99. How many years ago did the volcano at Mt Gambier erupt?
100. Theres heaps of thoose rocks in Hawkesdale and Penshurst
101. James to Turtle: caught a barracuda there</li></li></ul><li>Techno Parents<br />Broad representation of staff including Principal<br />Parents of Preps through to Year 10<br />Students, staff, parents all learning in the one room<br />Share happenings in classroom and school<br />Darwin teacher linkup<br />Feedback<br />
102. Virtual Teaching Rounds<br />
103. You can’t ask questions of a textbook<br />
104. Web conference Coaches<br />http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/edulibrary/public/teachlearn/innovation/vccwebcoach.pdf<br />Or contact me!<br />
105. 9.<br />Use as a search engine<br />Back channel<br />PD in 140 characters<br />Networking <br />Sharing resources<br />
106. http://www.twitter.com<br />
107. How to search in Twitter?<br />Gotohttp://www.twitter.com<br />Find the search window, key in your keyword(s)<br />
109. jransomstocktake done – now the valuation of said stock thespottynapkin RT @tipsytoesshoes: Its stocktake and moving time at the Tipy Toes warehouse. Become a FB fan and get 20% off all orders-we would rather… tipsytoesshoes Its stocktake and moving time at the Tipy Toes warehouse. Become a FB fan and get 20% off all orders-we would rather sell it than move it! sharpytheking Perpetual Stocktake… #bored.com jeicherstocktake is complete. #relief11:56 PM Jul 22nd via mbpidginRossGoesRawrr @shan1209 I’m lucky I’m out the back doing stocktake all night noone has to see it lolrestructuregirl @malbooth @polyxenastocktake would help my students hugely. Haven’t done a s’take in 10 years & serious mismatch bw shelves & catalogue<br />Search for “stock taking” tweets<br />
110. Tweeting for an author to speak!<br />
111. Tweetdeck<br />
112. 10. Google docs<br />Sheet (a spreadsheet)<br />Forms – online surveys<br />Documents (a word processor)<br />Presentation (equivalent of MS Powerpoint)<br />Sites – could be used for developing materials for online learning<br />Cloud computing<br />Allows collaboration & virtual teamwork<br />Teachers can edit notes in real time<br />
113. Skype intros with theAmerican School of Bombay<br />
114. Sample questions<br /><ul><li>Please write some bullet points about what has been happening to Indians in Australia in the past year. Include the response from Indians as well as the impact of these events on the upcoming Commonwealth Games 2010 in New Delhi.
115. Why do you think these incidents of violence have been occurring against Indians? Is it happening against other ethnic groups in Australia?</li></li></ul><li>Google documents<br />