1. ALTERNATIVE SYSTEMS of
2. Alternative system of medicine…
Alternative medicine are interventions that
differ from the traditional or conventional
biomedical treatment of disease.
Its an intervention that is used instead of
GOI – traditional system of medicine
(ayurveda, siddha & unani)
- non drug therapies
(yoga & naturopathy)
5. After independent…
• After 1947 GOI recognized merits of CAM.
• WHO – health for all (ASU)
• 1995 under ministry of health & family
• separate dept of Indian System of Medicine
6. TYPES OF POPULAR HEALTH
ALTERNATIVE SYSTEMS OF
• According to National Center for
Complementary & Alternative Medicine
Biologically based methods.
Energy medicine systems.
Manipulative & body based practices.
Mind body medicine systems.
Whole body medical systems
8. 1.BIOLOGICALLY BASED METHODS
• HERBAL MEDICINE
• DIET & NUTRITION SUPPLEMENTS.
• Biologically based practices use substances
found in nature such as herbs, foods, vitamins,
and other natural substances
9. 2.ENERGY MEDICINE SYSTEMS..
• ELECTRO MAGNETIC FIELDS
• THERAPEUTIC TOUCH
– Biofield therapies are intended to influence energy fields
that purportedly surround and penetrate the body.
– Bioelectromagnetic-based therapies use verifiable
electromagnetic fields, such as pulsed fields, alternating-
current or direct-current fields in an unconventional
10. 3.MANIPULATIVE &BODY BASED
• AROMA THERAPY
• MASSAGE THERAPY
• MIND BODY MEDICAL SYSTEM
• Manipulative and body-based practices feature
manipulation or movement of body parts, such as is
done in chiropractic and osteopathic manipulation
11. MIND BODY MEDICAL SYSTEM
• Mind-body medicine takes a holistic approach to
health that explores the interconnection between
the mind, body, and spirit. It works under the
premise that the mind can affect "bodily functions
12. WHOLE BODY MEDICAL SYSTEM…
• TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE
Traditional Hindu system of medicine.
Practiced in India since 1st centaury AD
16. Body matrix contd…
Waste products of the body:
feces, urine & sweat.
The growth & decay of this body matrix
comprises hum ours, tissues, &wastes.
Ingestion, digestion, absorption, assimilation
& metabolism of food interplay in health &
Its affected by psychological mechanism as
well as bio-fire (agni)
17. Ayurveda – panchaphutas…
All objects including human body composed of
earth, water, fire, air & vacuum.
There is a balanced condensation of these elements
in different proportions to meet the needs of body
Growth & development of body matrix depends on
its nutrition (food).
The food composed of 5 elements which nourish
the body after the action of biofire.
18. Ayurveda – health & sickness….
Health & sickness- depends on presence or
absence of balanced state of total body matrix.
Both intrinsic & extrinsic factors can cause
disturbance in natural equilibrium leads to
Cause of loss of equilibrium:
seasonal abnormalities, & improper exercise,
incompatible action of body & mind
19. Ayurveda – diagnosis …
General physical examination.
Examine skin, ear, tongue, eyes including
tactile & auditory functions.
Examination of feces.
20. AYURVEDA TREATMENT
21. Ayurveda - treatment
i. Regulating the diet & activity.
ii. Correcting life routine & behavior .
iii. Administration if drugs.
iv. Restoring to preventive panchakarma.
v. Rasayana therapy.
vi. Purification treatment.
vii. Palliative treatment
ix. Avoidance of disease causative factor
22. TREATMENT CONTD….
Shamana Therapy: Elimination of vitiated
• (digestive, creation of hunger or thirst, exercise
and sun rays, fresh air, appetizer)
23. 2. PURIFICATION TREATMENT
removal of causative factors of somatic
It is by - panchakarma
24. 3.Prescription of diet & activities…
• Its indications & contraindications in diet,
activity, habits & emotional status.
• Emphasis on dos & don'ts of diet to stimulate
agni & optimize digestion & assimilation of
food to strength of tissues
25. 4.Avoidance of disease causing &
• This is to avoid the known disease causing
factors in diet & life style of the patient.
• It stress to refrain from precipitating &
aggravating disease factors.
26. 5.Psycho therapy….
• Concern with mental disturbances.
• Refraining the mind from diseases.
• Cultivation of courage, memory &
27. 6.USE OF
Deals with strength & vitality
Integrity of body matrix,
Immunity against diseases.
Promotion of memory, intelligence.
Preservation of youths
28. SIDDHA MEDICINE
29. SIDDHA MEDICINE….
Oldest medicine in India.
Meaning – achievement.
18 siddhars were formulated therapy from
Believe 5 basic elements, humors, its
disturbance leads to disease condition.
Human body is the replica of the universe
30. MATERIA MEDICA…
SIDDHA SYSTEM has developed a rich &
unique treasure of drug knowledge by use of
25 varieties of water soluble inorganic
compounds called UPPU. (alkali &salts.)
64 varieties of mineral drugs insoluble in water
but vapors when put in fire.
32 of these are natural & 32 are artificial.
31. Materia medica contd..
System has classified into metals & alloys which melt
when heated & solidifies when cooled
These are incinerated in special process & used in
Chemistry had found
well developed in to
science auxiliary to
medicine & alchemy.
Process of alchemical
33. Siddha contd…
All types of disease other than emergencies.
All types of skin problem –
disease of liver, &
GI tract, general disability,
postpartum anemia, diarrhea &
general fever, allergic disorder, arthritis.
34. Diagnosis in siddha medicine
Identification of the cause,
Examination of pulse,
colour of the body
& digestive system.
35. Care of women's health….
Siddha strongly advocate breast feeding.
It believes in food itself in medicine.
Nursing & lactating mothers are advised iron,
protein & fiber rich diet to prevent nutritional
Once in 15 days mothers are advised to take
It also treat menopausal syndromes especially
problem with hormonal imbalance.
37. 3. Naturopathy…
Concepts of disease causation:
Accumulation of morbid matter.
Abnormal composition of blood & lymph.
38. Principles of naturopathy….
All disease, their cause, & their treatment are one.
The basic cause of disease is not bacteria.
(accumulation of morbid matter….)
Acute diseases are our friends not the enemies.
Chronic disease are the out comeof wrong treatment
& suppression of acute disease.
Nature is the greatest healer.
In naturopathy patient is treated not the disease.
39. Naturopathy principles contd…
Diagnosis is easily possible. No need for long
Chronic ailments are also treated successfully.
After emerging suppressed disease are also can be
Nature cure treats physical, mental, social & spiritual
Nature cure treats body as a whole instead of giving
treatment to each organ separately.
It does not use medicines “food in medicine.
40. Diagnostic methods in naturopathy…
Modern clinical diagnosis.
41. Treatment methods in naturopathy…..
Massage therapy Mud therapy
Space therapy Fire therapy
Its based on main law :
Similia, similibus, cureatus – similars are
Disturbance in vital force leads disease.
Living against nature.
Day to-day life stress.
43. Homeopathy principles….
Similar symptoms cure a disease expressing with
Any particular symptom in its substance form in the
human body produces a set of symptoms in the
To get rid off the same sets of symptoms of a diseased
individual when given in a refined/ defined form.
It does not only relief symptoms but to total
eradication of disease
44. Preparation of homeopathy
Any herb is stored in extra natural alcohol for a
period of time (3wks).
The portion is drained out – “mother tincture”.
A drop of mother tincture in 99 drops of alcohol &
shaken10 times which becomes 1st potency of
1st potency is mixed with 99 drops of alcohol &
This is secondary potency of homeopathy medicine.
45. Classification of remedies….
Currently 3000 remedies documented for
Remedies are 5 types:
Poly chrest remedies….
46. Homeopathy contd….
Revitalize the injured vital force
No side effects of the medicine in human organism.
Treatment without surgeries:
hemorrhoids, renal calculi,
fissure & fistula in ano,
47. YOGA THERAPY
• Yoga is a science of holistic living “yuj” means
to unite or integrate total initiations of
physical ,mental ,intellectual and spiritual
aspects of human personality .
• It aims at the harmonious development of
body mind and soul.
49. UNANI MEDICINE
• According to the principles and philosophy of Unani
Medicine, disease is a natural process,
• Its symptoms are the reactions of the body to the
disease, and the chief function of the physician is to
aid the natural forces of the body.
• Unani Medicine is basically based on Humoral
51. DIET THERAPIES
52. DIET THERAPIES…
• The Gerson Therapy is a powerful, natural
treatment that activates the body's own
healing mechanism through consuming
organic vegetarian foods and juices,
detoxification and natural supplements
53. 2.KELLY REGIMEN
• The Kelley regimen is a metabolic therapy that
became one of the most well-known alternative
cancer treatments in the 1970s.
• It was developed in the early 1960s by an
orthodontist, William Kelley
• The Kelley regimen includes drinking juices, receiving
coffee enemas, and taking nutritional supplements
such as pancreatic enzymes.
54. 3.KETOGENIC DIET
• The ketogenic diet is a high fat, adequate
protein, low carbohydrate diet, primarily used
to treat difficult-to-control (refractory)
epilepsy in children
55. 4. MACROBIOTIC DIET
• is a dietary regimen that involves eating grains
as a staple food supplemented with other
foodstuffs such as vegetables and beans, and
avoiding the use of highly processed or refined
56. HERBAL MEDICINE
57. HERBAL THERAPIES
• Chinese herbs are used specially as antiviral
and energy immune boosters, to support the
stressed organs during chemotherapy and
pain caused by radiation therapy.
58. MANUAL HEALING THERAPIES
• The term "acupuncture" describes a family of
procedures involving the stimulation of anatomical
points on the body using a variety of techniques.
• The acupuncture technique that has been most often
studied scientifically involves penetrating the skin
with thin, solid, metallic needles that are
manipulated by the hands or by electrical
61. BIO-BEHAVIOURAL THERAPIES
• Biofeedback is a non-invasive form of
• The therapist attaches sensors or electrodes
to the body and these sensors provide a
variety of readings-
• To make the
mind, thought from
stress, pain, tension &
64. 2.MUSIC THERAPY
• TO DIVERT THE CLIENTS MIND FROM PAIN.
66. 4.RELAXATION THERAPY
• Relaxation from tension, stress, mental
67. OTHER THERAPIES
68. AROMA THERAPY
69. 1.AROMA THERAPIES
• The modes of application of aromatherapy include:
• Aerial diffusion: for environmental fragrancing or
• Direct inhalation: for respiratory disinfection,
decongestion, expectoration as well as psychological
• Topical applications: for general massage, baths,
compresses, therapeutic skin care
70. 2. ART THERAPY
• Art therapy is a form of expressive therapy
that uses art materials, such as paints, chalk
72. 3.HYDRO THERAPY
• It's the generic term for water therapies using jets,
underwater massage and mineral baths (e.g.
balneotherapy, Iodine-Grine therapy, Kneipp
treatments, Scotch hose, Swiss shower,
thalassotherapy) and others.
• It also can mean a whirlpool bath, hot Roman pool,
hot tub, Jacuzzi, cold plunge and mineral bath
• In reflexology areas of the foot are believed to
correspond to the organs or structures of the