On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Installation, Theming, Plugins & SecuritySimple steps to building withWordPress.Mumtaz Gohar MS in Web Engineering
Today I am going to tell you how to installWordPress on your local machine or localserver. There are several steps that arerequired to install the WordPresssuccessfully on the Localhost. So justsimply follow these stepsInstallation of WordPress
1. This step requires you to download theWordPress software. Visithttp://wordpress.org/download/ todownload your copy of WordPress.Installation of WordPress(Cont…)
2. After downloading the software , simplyextract in the root directory of the server.( www directory in case of wamp andhtdocs in case of xampp/lampp). Placethe contents in a folder named asWordPress.Installation of WordPress(Cont…)
3. Now start the local server(xamp or wamp) and inthe browser screen point to the following URL http://localhost/wordpress/.Installation of WordPress(Cont…)
4. You will be faced with an error message regardingthe configuration file.Installation of WordPress(Cont…)
5. To rectify this error there are two ways.a. Either you go manually and rename the wp-config-sample.php file to wp-config.php and then manuallyenter your database detailsb. Else you can go by the graphical user mode. This modeis a preferred oneInstallation of WordPress(Cont…)
6. We will proceed via the GUI Mode. First of allwe will create a database using thePHPMyAdmin so that all the sample data of theWordPress is installed in it. Open the PHPMyAdminusing the URL http://localhost/phpmyadminInstallation of WordPress(Cont…)
7. Then click the Let’s Go button on the Web GUI toinitiate the installation of the WordPress on theLocalhost.Installation of WordPress(Cont…)
8. Finally click on the Submit button. And if everythinggoes right you will be faced with the followingscreen.Installation of WordPress(Cont…)
Note: The above window(in step-8) shows that wp-config.php has not been written. To rectify this errorjust go to your web directory and copy paste the matterwritten in text box into a new file named as wp-config.php. After that just hit Run The Install button.Installation of WordPress(Cont…)
9. If everything goes according to the plan, youwill be faced with famous five minuteWordPress installation process. Just enter thepersonal details and password.Installation of WordPress(Cont…)Finally click Install WordPress.
10.Now login to your website’s admin panelat http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin tocustomize its looks and settings.Installation of WordPress(Cont…)
Widgets• Widgets can be usedin sidebars• Widgets performvarious functionsoutside scope of mainsystem• Widgets are flexibleand can be moved upor down in a sidebar
Plugins• Plugins extend WordPress tohave extra• functionality or enhancecurrent features– Examples: rating systems,contact form, spammanagement, SEO, photogallery...• Thousands free to public onwordpress.org• To install:– Download plugin– Upload to plugins directoryon server– Activate from PluginsManagement• Upgrading WordPress maybreak some plugins• Can develop your own if youknow code!
Plugins examples• All In One SEO• NextGenGallery• TwitterTools• Wordbook• XML Sitemaps• WordTube• ShareThis• ReCaptcha• WP-Book• Subscribe2• Newsletter• Podcasting• Lightbox• Feedburner• Disqus or IntenseDebate• Amazon ReLoaded• Snipi• Google Analtyics• GetClicky
Themes• WordPress allow users to change the look &functionality without altering the informationalcontent by just switching the themes. The PHPand HTML code in themes can also be edited formore advanced customizations. You can alsocreate and share your own themes .• Installation very similar to installing a Plugin• Hundreds of free themes on wordpress.org andother sites
Security Issues• Many were found in 2007 and 2008• Updating is very important!• Pick a secure username and password• Use spam protection tools and install plugins tohelp• Backup often and know what installation you have