Using social media in Higher Education
• This session will introduce social media as tools
for education and research.
• Some of the key social media tools will be
introduced, demonstrated and discussed.
– Collaborative working tools
– User-generated content
– Social networking tools.
• No previous social media experience is required
• Please complete registration with email, logon
to computer and open email
Why use social media in HE teaching?
A vision of students today
Can you define Social Media?
Collaborative Working Tools
• For working together
• Communication tools – Skype, IM
• Document storage – Dropbox, Blackboard
• Writing tools - Wiki, Google docs, Ning
• Case study
• What do you want to use?
• Have a go!
• Set up an account – twitter
• Look for blogs and follow
• “Go to my Delicious and then we’ll talk,” a
professor told a student asking to meet
• Learning, Teaching, and Scholarship in a Digital Age
:Greenhow, Beth Robelia and Joan E. Hughes,
EDUCATIONAL RESEARCHER 2009 38: 246
• You can use social media for teaching
– Promote collaborative working
– Utilise user generated content as a resource
– Social networking for interaction and to keep up to
• You SHOULD use social media for teaching
• What will you try??
• Did you learn something new today?
• Do you learn something new every day?
See you online soon
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.