API-510-CLOSED-2ASME SECTION IX PRACTICE QUESTIONS ALLQUESTIONS ARE CLOSED BOOK1. The purpose of the WPS and PQR is to determine that:a. the welder is qualifiedb. the base metals are strong enoughc. the weldment has the desired propertiesd. the skill of the welder2. The WPS lists:a. nonessential variablesb. essential variablesc. ranges for 1 & 2 aboved. all of the above3. The PQR must list:a. essential variablesb. qualification test & examination resultsc. supplementary essential variables (when notch toughness is required)d. all of the above4. What is the earliest Edition of Section IX recognized by the current edition?a. 1958b.1992c.1987d.19625. A new Welding Procedure Specifications must meet what Section IX Edition and Addenda?a. 1962b. Currentc.1986d.19956. Who shall conduct the tests required by Section IX to qualify the WPSs used during theconstruction, alteration, or repair?a. Welder or welding operatorb. Manufacturer or contractorc. Inspectorc. All of the above7. The records of procedure. welder and welding operator qualification must be available tothea. Manufacturerb. Welderc. Authorized Inspector
d. Foreman8. A welder qualifying with a groove weld in plate in the 4G position is qualified to weld groovewelds in plate and pipe over 24" 0.D. in at least the following positions?a. Verticalb. Flat & horizontalc. Flat & overheadd. Horizontal9. A welder qualifying with plate fillet welds in the 3F and 4F positions is qualified to weldgroove welds in plate in the following positions?a. Flat onlyb. Flat and horizontalc. Flat and verticald. None of the above10. A welder qualifying by making a groove weld on pipe with an 0.D. of 3/4" in the 5Gposition is qualified to weld groove welds in?a. 1/2" 0.D. Pipe in the overhead positionb. 6" 0.D. Pipe in the vertical positionc. 3/4" 0.D. pipe in the horizontal positiond. None of the above11. In general, qualification on groove welds also qualifies a welder to make?a. Stud weldsb. Overhand weldsc. Fillet weldsd. All of the above12. Charpy V-notch tests are performed to determine a weldments?a. Tensile strengthb. Ductilityc. Notch toughnessd. All of above13. A welder making a groove weld using the SAW process on P1 materials may be qualifiedusing radiography?a. Trueb. False14. When a tensile specimen breaks in the base metal outside of the weld or fusion line, thestrength recorded may be at most ______ below the specified tensile to be accepted?
a. 3.5%b. 5%c. 5%d. All of the above15. Guided-bend specimens shall have no open defects in the weld or heat effected zoneexceeding __________ measured in any direction on the convex surface of the specimenafter bending?a. 1/16"b. 3/32"c.1/8"d. None of the above16. When using radiographs to qualify welders the acceptance standards used are found in?a. ASME Section Vb. ASME Section IXc. ASME Section VIIId. The referencing code17. A WPS must describe?a. Essential variablesb. Nonessential variablesc. Supplementary essential variables when required for notch toughnessd. All of the above18. A PQR must describe?a. Nonessential variablesb. Essential variablesc. Results of Welder Qualification Testsd. Project description & NDE methods19. The ________ must certify the PQR as accurate?a. Inspectorb. Manufacturer or contractorc. Welderd. All of the above20. For the SMAW process __________ is an essential variable for the WPS?a. Groove designb. Post Weld Heat Treatment
c. Root spacingd. Method of cleaning21. For the SAW process ___________ is an essential variable for the WPS?a. Supplemental powdered filler metal (if used)b. Filler metal diameterc. Preheat maintenanced. Addition or deletion of peening22. The basic purpose of testing a welder is to establish the weldersa. Knowledge of welding requirementsb. Ability to deposit sound weld metalc. mechanical ability to operate equipmentd. General attitude toward welding inspectors23. The record of a welders performance test is called aa. PQRb. WQRc. WPSd. WPQ24. If a welder qualified with the SMAW process on January10, 1994 and last welded withSMAW on March 15, 1994, would he still be qualified on October 7, 1994?a. Yesb. No25. A welder qualifying with a groove weld welded from both sides is qualified to weld?a. Without backingb. With all base metalsc. With backing onlyd. With P1 backing only26. Welder performance qualification records must describe all the specified variables?a. Essential & nonessentialb. Nonessentialc. Essentiald. Brazing27. A welder depositing 1/2" of weld metal with the SMAW process is qualified to deposit upto _________of weld metal?a. 8"b. Max to be weldedc.1"d.112"
28. "P" numbers are used to designate groups of ___________?a. Electrodesb. Fluxc. Base metalsd. Joints29. A welder qualifying by welding P-No. 21 to P-No. 21 is qualified to welda. P-1 - P-11 to P-1 - P-11b. P-8 -= Pit" -0c. P-21 - P-25 to P-21 - P-25d. P21 to P21 only30. Welding electrodes are grouped in Section IX by __________ ?a. AWS classb. ASME specificationc. SFAd. PO number31. Ferrous weld metal chemical composition may be designated using __________?a. P numberb. Welder 1.D.c. A numberd. Page number32. For welder qualification with the SMAW process _________ is an essential variable?a. Base metal thicknessb. Peeningc. P-numberd. Electrode diameter33. Each welder must be assigned a ___________?a. P numberb. Unique identifierc. Hood & glovesd. Location of work34. May a welder qualified in the 2G position on ¼” thick plate weld a 1” outside diameterpipe, ¼: inch thick in the horizontal position without re-qualification?a. Yesb. Noc. Not enough information providedd. Yes, provided pipe is carbon steel is P135. What is the basic difference between gas metal arc welding and gas tungsten arc weldingprocesses?
a. How they are producedb. The SFA-specification of the filler metalc. The F number of the filler metald. GTAW is run with gas/gas is optional with GMAW36. A welder has been tested in the 6-G position. using an E-7018 F-4 electrode, on 6”.sch160 (.718" nom) SA 106B pipe. Is this welder qualified to weld a 2" 300# ANSI schedule 80bore flange to a 2" schedule 80 SA 106 B nozzle neck?a. Yesb. Noc. Not enough information providedd. Yes, provided a backing strip is provided in the 2- weld.37. May a welder who is qualified using a double-groove weld, make a single V-groove weldwithout backing?a. Yesb. Noc. Not enough information providedd. Yes, because backing is not an essential variable for a welder38. May a GTAW welder be qualified by radiography, in lieu of bend tests? The test couponwill be P-22 material and the production welds will be P-22 also?a. Yesb. Noc. Not enough information providedd. Yes, provided the P-22 is welded with F-22 fillers39. Who is responsible for qualification of welding procedures, welders and weldingoperators?a. The Inspectorb. The A.I.c. The Shop Foremand. The Manufacturer of Contractor40. A welding electrode has the marking E-6010; The "1" marking indicates?a. Flat position onlyb. Horizontal position onlyc. All positionsd. Only good for heat treated welds41. May a FCAW welder qualified using UT, be used to weld in production?a. Yes, welder ca-n be usedb. No the welder cannot be used
c. Yes, if welder is using GMAW (Short Arc)d. Yes, if welder is qualified with backing42. A welder may deviate from the parameters specified in a WPS if they are a nonessentialvariable.a. Trueb. False43. A repair organization has a WPS which states it is qualified for P-8 to P-8 material weldedwith either E308, E308L, E309, E316, electrodes (SMAW process). The PQR, supporting thisWPS, states the weld test coupons were SA-240 Type 304L material, welded with E308electrodes. Is the WPS properly qualified for the base material listed?a. Yesb. Noc. Not enough information givend. Yes, if properly heat treated44. What positions are necessary to qualify a welder for all position pipe welding?a. 3G and 4Gb. 2G and 5Gc. 3G and 1Gd. 4G and 5G45. What ASME Code Section has welding electrode storage requirements?a. ASME IXb. ASME VIIIc. ASME 831.1d. ASME 11 Part C46. What are the number of transverse guided bend tests required for PerformanceQualification in a 6G position?a. 2b. 4c. 6d. 347. May a GMAW, short circuit transfer, welding procedure be qualified using real-timeultrasonics?a. Yesb. Noc. No t enough information givend. Yes, provided bend tests are done48. Three arc welding processes are?
a. BMAW, SMAW, EFGAWb. FCAW, SAW, ESWc. SMAW. GTAW, PAWd. PTAW, SLAW, PEAW49. You are reviewing a WPQ (QW-484) for a welder testing in the 6-G position; on SA-53grade B pipe (TS-60,000 psi). The test results indicate the following:#1 Tensile developed 51,000 psi, broke in the weld#2 Tensile developed 56,900 psi, broke in base metal#1 Transverse root bend satisfactory#2 Transverse face bend satisfactoryWill these tests qualify the welder?a. Yesb. Noc. Not enough information givend. Tension test is acceptable but #1 is unacceptable50. Is a welding procedure qualified under the 1965 ASME Code Section IX still applicable?a. Yesb. No, must be re-qualifiedc. Is only applicable for 1965 pressure vesselsd. Cannot be used for new construction - repairs only51. A nonessential variable must be documented on:a. The WPQb. The PQRc. The WPSd. All of the above52. What are the various positions in which a welder may qualify for plate groove welds?a. 1Gb.3Gc. 4Gd. All of the above53. A welder was qualified with a P-1 test coupon using SMAW E7018 electrodes. May thewelder weld P4 material using E8020 electrodes with backing in production? (Assume the P-4procedure using E8028 electrodes has been qualified.)a. Yesb. Noc. Not enough information provided
d. None of the above54. What are the primary classifications of guided-bend tests permitted by the Code?a. Side and Transverseb. Face and Rootc. Transverse and Longitudinald. Side and Face55. A welder qualified by welding in the 5G position is qualified for what position on plate?a. F, H, OHb. F, V, OHc. V, OH, SPc. H. V, OH56. Which of the following is a covered electrode?a. E 5010b. E 7018c. E 9028d. All of the above
57. Applicable essential variables must be documented on which of the following?a. The WPSb. The paRc. The wpad. All of the above58. In performance qualification of pipe welds to ASME Section IX, which positions requiremore than two guided bend specimens for qualification?a. 5G and 6Gb. 2G and 4Fc. 4G and 5Gd. None of the above59. Name two defects that would cause visual rejection of a welders test pipe or plate?a. Porosity, underfillb. Lack of penetration/fusionc. Slag, overlapd. Any of the above60. A variable that, when changed will cause a change in the mechanical properties of theweldment is called a _________________?a Essential variableb. Non-essential variablec. Supplementary essential variabled. All of the above61. The test that determines the ultimate strength of groove-weld joints is ___________?a. Notch Toughness Testb. Tension Testc. Fillet Weld Testd. Guided-Bend Test62. The procedure qualification test is used to determine _____________?a. The skill of the welderb. That the proposed production weldment is capable of having the required propertiesc. The corrosion resistance of the proposed weldmentd. None of the above63. A change in a supplementary essential variable requires re-qualification, when notch-toughness is a consideration.a. Trueb. False64. When using Macro-examination of fillet weld tests, the weld and the HAZ must not revealcracks when magnified at _____________?a. 5X
b. 2Xc. 10Xd. No magnification is required, a visual examination is required only
65. A non-essential variable may be changed without re-qualification because:a. Nobody cares about non-essential variablesb. The welder is allowed to change variables at his discretionc. Non-essential variables do not affect the mechanical or notch-toughness propertiesd. non-essential variables cannot be changed without re-qualification66. The data recorded on a POR (non-cditorial) may be changed provided:a. The Authorized Inspector approvesb. The test data on a POR is a record of what occurred and should never be changed. Onlyeditorial information can be changed on a PQR.c. The API 510 Inspector approvesd. The date of the WPS is changed67. A WPS must only address essential and, if applicable, supplementary essential variables.a. Trueb. False68. Tension tests may be used in lieu of bend tests to qualify welders or welding operators.a. Trueb. False69. A groove weld bend test reveals a linear indication on the face of the bend surface thatmeasures exactly 1/8" long: No other indications are seen. Does this coupon pass or fail?a. Passb. Fail70. Unless notch-toughness is a consideration, a qualification in any position qualifies awelding procedure for all positions.a. Trueb. False71. The purpose of a WPS and PQR is to determine if a welder has the skill necessary tomake sound production welds.a. Trueb. False72. Welders can be qualified by radiograph when using P 6X materials?a. Trueb. False73. It is permissible to sub-contract welding of coupons as well as other work to preparecoupons.a. Trueb. False
74. Variable QW 402.4 for SMAW procedure qualification is a _____________ variable?a. Essentialb. Non-essentialc. Supplemental essentiald. None of the above75. Variable QW 404.24 for SAW procedure qualification is a __________ variable?a. Essentialb. Non-essentialc. Supplemental essentiald. None of the above76. Each manufacturer must certify the PQR (by signature) indicating that the informationgiven is true and correct.a. Trueb. False77. Welder variable QW- 405.1 (for welders qualifying with the SMAW process) is a_________ variable?a. Essentialb. Non-essentialc. Supplemental essentiald. None of the above78. The purpose of a WPS and PQR is to determine if a proposed weldment to be used inconstruction is capable of providing the required properties for the intended application?a. Trueb. False79. A qualification in a 4G position qualifies a welder for all groove weld positions.a. Trueb. False80. A WPS must address all applicable non-essential variables.a. Trueb. False81. Groove weld coupons shall be tested by macro-examination when qualifying a weldingprocedure.a. Trueb. False
82. A welding procedure must be qualified with impact tests only when required by theapplicable construction code, such as ASME VIII Div. 1.a. Trueb. False83. A welder qualified to weld in the 2G position on pipe would have to be qualified in which ofthe additional positions to qualify for all position groove welding on pipe?a. 1Gb. 2Gc. 5Gd. 6Ge. All of the above84. The maximum preheat temperature decrease allowed without re-qualification of a GMAWgroove weld procedure is:a. 50°Fb. 100°Fc. 125°Fd. 150°Fe. None of the above85. A welder is qualified to weld all thicknesses of material when:a. The test is any thickness above 3/8”b. The test thickness was ½”c. The test thickness was ¾” or overd. The test pipe wall thickness was 5/8” and nominal pipe size was over ½”e. None of the above86. What is the maximum defect permitted on the convex surface of a welder qualificationbend test after bending, except for comer cracks and corrosion resistant weld overlay?a. 1/4 inchb. 1/8 inchc. 1/16 inchd. 3/16 inch87. What period of in activity from a given welding process requires the welder to re-qualify inthat process?a. 3 monthsb. 6 monthsc 9 monthsd. 12 monthse. As stated by the AI
88. Notch-toughness requirements are mandatory for ____________?a. For heat treated metalsb. For quenched and tempered metalsc. For hardened and tempered metalsd. For annealed and tempered metalse. When specified as required by the referencing Code section89. A welder qualified for SMAW using an E7018 electrode is also qualified to weld with:a. E7015b. E6011c. E6010d. E7024e. All of the above90. Macro examination of an etched fillet weld section for performance qualification isacceptable if the examination shows:a .Complete fusion and freedom from cracks, excepting linear indications not exceeding 1/32”at the rootb. Concavity or convexity no greater than 1/16”c. Not more than 1/8” difference in leg lengthsd. All of the abovee. Both B and C above91. Each manufacturer or contractor is responsible for the welding or brazing done by hisorganization. Whenever these words are used in Section IX, they shall include:a. Designer or architectb. Designer or installerc. Architect or installerd. Installer or assemblere. Assembler or designer92. For P-11 material, Weld grooves for thicknesses __________ shall be prepared bythermal processes, when such processes are to be employed during fabrication?a. Less than 5/8 inchb. 5/8 inchc. 1 inchd. 1-1/4 inchese. None of the above93. A stud welding procedure must be re-qualified if there is a deviation of plus or minus________________seconds in the arc timing?a. .01b. .05
c. 1/5d. 1/10e. 1/2094. A change in a non-essential variable requires re-certification of the PQR.a. Trueb. False
95. Reduced-section tensile test specimens conforming to QW-462.1 (b) may be used on allthicknesses of pipe having an outside diameter greater than:a. 2 inchesb. 2-1/2 inchesc. 3 inchesd. 3-1/2 inchese. 4 inches96. Groove weld tests may be used for qualification of welders. Which of the following shallbe used for evaluation?a Only bend testsb. Only radiographyc. 80th radiography and bend testsd. Either bend tests or radiographye. None of the above97. Under which of the following conditions can a welder be qualified during production work?a. A 6" length of the first production groove weld may be qualified by radiographyb. A bend test coupon may be cut from the first 12" length of weldc. A macro examination may be taken from the first 3" of weld lengthd. None of the above