1. MASS MEDIA 4: HOOKED ON TV LEVEL:TÍTULO:MASS MEDIA 4: HOOKED ON TVDESTINATARIOS:1º BACHILLERATO/ AMPLIACION 2º BACHILLERATO/ That’s English I2OBJETIVOS: Fomentar el pensamiento crítico del alumnado en cuanto a sus hábitos televisivos 1 y su influencia en el entorno familiar. Aprender vocabulario relacionado con el mundo de la televisión. Identificar diferentes tipos de programas televisivos..COMPETENCIAS BÁSICAS:1. Competencia en comunicación lingüística2. Competencia social y ciudadana3. Competencia cultural y artística4. Competencia para aprender a aprender5. Autonomía e iniciativa personalCONTENIDOS:Vocabulario relacionado con el mundo de la televisión.Producción y expresión oral en pasado,presente y futuro.Expresión escrita de una opinión con estímulo oral.RECURSOS:Aula en la que haya acceso a internet, pantalla y altavoces para el profesor.Mobiliario móvil.
2. MASS MEDIA 4: HOOKED ON TV LEVEL: WARMER Do you remember how many hours a week on average does someone in the UK watch television? Is it: a) 20 hours b) 30 hours c) 40 hours Is it too much time? What about you? What about your parents or grandparents? Do they spend more time than you in front of the telly? Any idea why? (Discuss it with your partner) 2 ACTIVITY 1 Let’s learn about your TV habits. We are going to make a survey to find out. First you have to answer the questions in the first column and write your own question in the space provided. You are going to ask three classmates. Stand up and mingle. Don’t forget a pen to write the answers (Enlarge as necessary) QUESTIONS YOU CLASSMATE 1 CLASSMATE 2 CLASSMATE 3How many hours a week do youwatch TV?what type of programmes do youwatch?Do you watch TV on your own? If notwith whom?whats your favourite channel?And programme? What time is iton?Did you use to watch the same (kindof) programmes 5 years ago?Why(not)?WRITE YOUR OWN QUESTION HERE
3. MASS MEDIA 4: HOOKED ON TV LEVEL:Once you have completed the worksheet, get together in your group and discuss your findings.Get ready to talk about them to the rest of the class in five minutes. You will have 1 minute.ACTIVITY 2In your groups, brainstorm as many types of TV programmes as you can in 1 minute.Now watch the following excerpts and say which types of programmes they are. 3 1. 2. 3. 4. 5.ACTIVITY 3Now have a look at the following pictures. All of them are from different talk-shows. Do yourecognize the guest(s)? Do you know who the host is in each? 2 3 41
4. MASS MEDIA 4: HOOKED ON TV LEVEL: In pairs which questions would you ask the celebrities, politicians, … in the pictures? Work on your answers .ROUND- UP ACTIVITY: HOMEWORK Write a short opinion essay about how our TV habits influence family relationships or about how family relationships have changed because of the TV. Have a look at the pictures to find inspiration. 4FOLLOW- UP ACTIVITYNow it’s your turn!You are going to be interviewed on a Talk show. You decide who you want to be. ( a famoussportsman, singer, politician, public figure) and who wants to be the Host. ( see next page)
5. MASS MEDIA 4: HOOKED ON TV LEVEL: Welcome to _______________ broadcasted on _________________ STUDENT A You are a famous person who has been invited to a talk show on TV. You are going to be interviewed. Answer the presenter’s questions. He/She will ask you AT LEAST about 5 Your place and date of birth Family Career: the highlight point of your career / the lowest Influences Future plans. You have to finish saying thank you to the host.STUDENT B You are the presenter of a famous television show, tonight you are interviewing a famous person. Welcome him/her to the program- say the name of the program. Greet him/her. Ask AT LEAST about: His/her place and date of birth Family Career: the highlight point of your career / the lowest Influences Future plans. Any other appropriate questions.You have to finish with We have run out of time. It’s been a pleasure having you with ustonight. Thank you and good night.
6. MASS MEDIA 4: HOOKED ON TV LEVEL:TEACHER’S NOTESWARMER: connection with previous unit. 5 minutesIf it’s the same class , just remember the facts. If it’s not we would use activity #4 from MassMedia 3: the radio to introduce the topic. The timing would change and the activity itselfwould last 10 minutes.ACTIVITY 1 (25 minutes) 6PART 1 ( 5 MINUTES)We introduce the activity and hand out the worksheet. Then ask students to write a questionindividually in the free blank after completing the YOU column. We can write some prompts onthe board to give them ideas: CARTOONS WHILE IN BED COMPUTER TEACHER AT WEEKENDS PRIMETIME BREAKFAST/LUNCH/DINNERPART 2 ( 10 MINUTES)Students mingle and ask each other the questions on the survey.PART 3 ( 10 MINUTES)Discussion of findings in groups of 5. extra desksGROUPING AND CLASS SETTING: the first 5people to complete the worksheet will be A Bgroup A, the next 5 will be group B and so on. C D E F teacher
7. MASS MEDIA 4: HOOKED ON TV LEVEL:ACTIVITY 2 (10 minutes)The teacher will write the names of the TV programmes brainstormed by students on theboard and introduce the activity.They are going to watch extracts from different programmes and label them. (they can still seethe vocab on the board). 7IMPORTANT: Last programme should be a talk show so as to get the final activity ready. Acelebrity or a well-known politician must be the guest of the programme.Choose from BBC or RTEACTIVITY 3 ( 5-10 minutes)If you can play the programmes online , you won’t need the pictures. But timing will change.With pictures it will last 2-3 minutes. the activity online will take place in 10 minutes . Use youtube if you plan to use the programmes as they might not be available from Spain. You betterdownload them just in case. Use atubecatcherVIDEO: ( high level of English)Watch and listen to the video and try to guess the questions the guest is asked. In pairs workon your answers and check with the video.PICTURES:In pairs which questions would you ask the celebrities, politicians, … in the pictures? Work onyour answers. Creativity would be encouraged.ROUND-UP: set homework on task. Give prompts to elicit ideas.Composition essay of about 100 words on family and changing family habits due to TVFOLLOW UP ACTIVITY ( different day)They are told about the following day activityROLE PLAY ACTIVITY. ( 2 sessions: the first to write and rehearse. The second to perform andrecord. They will be recorded on video and will act as both hosts and guests. They decide who is who and the order in which they want to act. When a pair is recording, Students will act as part of the audience and will behave accordingly. Costumes or different accessories are allowed and encouraged.
8. MASS MEDIA 4: HOOKED ON TV LEVEL: They are given the instructions and set the rules for the task: It’s a live show.Use a formal register and give a suitable introduction including name of the show, channel onwhich is broadcasted.EVALUACIÓN: 8La participación activa y la colaboración sobre la actividad serán tenidas en cuenta demanera especial ya que necesitamos mover mobiliario y a nosotros mismos durante lasesión.Respeto ante el trabajo de los compañeros y comportamiento durante las tressesiones que dura la actividad.La redacción será evaluada positivamente siempre que sea original, coherente yadaptada al nivel del alumno a nivel de usos verbales, vocabulario y cohesiónLa entrevista será evaluada y formará parte de la prueba oral de la asignatura..