Transcript of "Automotive Cluster in Chihuahua, Mexico"
Automotive Cluster Chihuahua
Is a group led by the private sector that includes
automotive manufacturers, government
agencies, and academic Institutions that have
decided to join efforts focused towards common
initiatives that foster the growth of the
Automotive industry in Chihuahua.
¿Why the Automotive Cluster?
The Automotive Industry in Mexico
Generates 3.5 % of the National GDP and 19.8% of the total
Impacts 23 industrial sectors
In 2011 the GDP generated by the Automotive industry grew 4
times over the total National GDP (16.9 vs. 3.9 %)
4 new Auto assembly plants in Mexico that will demand local
suppliers for components in 5 main commodities . . .
Injection molding, Die Casting, Stamping, Forge, Machining
The Industry . . .
Ford & BRP
T1=44 T2=52 T3=15
3 Design Centers
#1 in Automotive
employment in México
131,000 people in 2012
Only in direct personel
$12,000 MDD in
10,000 million sq. ft
Chihuahua is a strategic player for the Automotive Manufacturing world:
Some key indicators of the Industry are ….
Automotive Sales 2012:
Over $6,050 MDD
Key competences . . .
• Injection Molding
• Die Casting
• Precision Machining
• Assembly and testing
• Gravity Casting
• Heat treatment
• Urethane Molding
• Harness assembly
Gasoline and Diesel engines
Engine casted parts
Airbags and Steering Wheel
Braking & suspension
Fuel injection systems
Interior Electronic clusters
Chihuahua supplies the Auto world . . .
• 80 % of a vehicle content is made in Chihuahua
• All major OEM´s receive components
• 3 Design Centers located in the State (Delphi, Visteon, Dana)
• 1 Engine Ford assembly plant
• 1 Recreational vehicle assembly plant Bombardier
• Launch investment projects for private
sector to supply top 5 Automotive
• Promote joint ventures with foreign know
how and local investors.
• Promote venture capital projects with
local automotive processes experts
• Promotion of current T2´s and T3´s in
other Automotive growing regions.
• Develop Human talent required for the
1. Actively support
expansions of existing T1´s
2. Develop the human talent
required to make existing
and new T1´s more
1. Develop a new generación
of talent expert in newest
2. Attract T1´s focused on
energy, latest generation
electronics, MEMS, etc)
• Land reserve certification for Automotive
• Constant and systemic promotion of the
State Automotive capabilities
• Hire high profile former Automotive
executive in Detroit to promote the
• Construction of state of the art industrial
parks with Space for anchor plants and
supply chain growth.
• Increase Chihuahua´s logistics
infrastructure to connect efficiently to
Sea ports and rest of the country.
Infrastructure – Promotion – Talent development –
Operation excellence / Innovation & Supply Chain development
Main Cluster Objectives
1. INFRASTUCTURE: Identify, plan and coordinate the set up of the key infrastructure
elements to support the growth of the industry by offering a competitive platform to
new Tier 1 and OEM enterprises.
2. HUMAN TALENT DEVELOPMENT: Develop specialization and continuous education
programs aimed to trained new talent for the Automotive disciplines required by the
industry, and to reinforce current automotive employees helping their career growth.
1. PROMOTION: Support our government efforts in the promotion of the strenghts of
the Automotive Industry both locally and globally.
2. LOCAL SUPPLY CHAINS: Integrate the current and future demands of the industry
with the local private sector to encourage the creation of new supply chains in the T2
and T3 levels, always with an open mind for new ventures with Global companies.
3. INNOVATION AND OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE: Establish a formal program of
innovation and operations excellence by learning from the best and aimed to improve
the competitiveness of the industry players.
Ing. Sergio Mendoza
Ing. Roman Rivas
Promoción y Difusión
Ing. Gerardo Mendez
Ing. Ernesto Urquidi
Ing. Arturo Avila
continua e Innovación
Ing. Arturo Ruiz
Ing. Carlos Ostos
Miembro Honorario Gobierno
Secretario Economia del Estado
Alvaro Navarro G.
Dr. Antonio Rios
Juan Carlos Talavera
Ing. Patrick Verscheure
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.