I’m going to summarise how esd-toolkit is updating its standards framework to support linked data and the public sector object model.
The new site at http://doc.esd.org.uk attempts to remodel the existing esd-standards site employing elements of the public sector object model and publishing as linked data according to the rules for public sector URIs. IPSV, mandated by current e-GIF, has about1million uses over 249 public sector websites (as HTML metadata) LGSL, optional in eGMS, has 30,000 uses over 72 local government websites. Other lists are widely used in local government. They underpin esd-toolkit’s evidence-based approach to public sector service improvement. They are used by suppliers and by central government, eg to drive Directgov and Business Link, in accordance with the Public Service Directive.
LGBM is represented as a set of controlled lists with relationships between them. This should be seen as a more specialised version of the federated pan-government model.
Lists as SKOS concepts schemes Concepts are sub-classes of skos:copncepts Relationships between concepts are subProperties of skos:mappings These terms are important: ConceptScheme Concept Mapping Class Property
So here’s the Service List which is a concept scheme with an id URI that redirects to a doc URI dependent on the client (or extension)
An item within a the concept scheme is a Service – a subClass of a skos:concept . This could be a subClass of a PS Object Model parent class if that existed as a URI with suitable longevity information.
A concept URI on its own redirects to the right hand side of the page. That is, the concept without the scheme, but details of every conceptScheme in which it is referenced.
Note that every heading redirects to the URI of the predicate (the heading should ideally be the dct:title of the predicate). Here is the definition of the ServiceClass. dct:description will be added to give a clear unambiguous definition of a Service from esd’s perspective.
Back to the Service concept for dead animal removal. The references shows the dct:title of URIs for which the service is the dct:subject. From the 30,000 LA website references we have to LGSL, tehse are the ones pertaining to dead animals. References to other lists include a link between the Circumstance List and excluded groups referenced by the work of the Digital Inclusion Team.
Mappings show relationships to concepts in other ConceptSchemes. This links the dead animals service to the legal duty to perform it.
This is the mapped duty. All the rules applying to the services conceptScheme and services apply to Powers and Duties, and all other lists.
This is the legislation linked by the “conferredBy” property. Legislation details are read live from legislation.gov.uk RDF data. The URI id links to the legislation URI which currently returns XML, but may in time redirect to HTML.
That’s it. Have a play online and contact me with queries. Over time further features will appear. We expect it to be live at the end of the year after LA review.
1. esd-toolkit and Linked Data
2. Revamping esd-standards
3. People and places Changes Need Circumstance Life event Service Outcome (PI) Determines Defines Impacts on Addresses Implies Defines eligibility for Becoming unemployed Unemployed Employment Employment & training initiatives Life event Circumstance Need Service
4. Organisation scope Organisation type Power/Duty Function Service Legislation Allows/ Requires Confers Confers on Performs Is part of County council Education Secure efficient education Primary school places Org. type Function Duty Service Education Act 1996 section 13 Legislation
5. Organisation Document type Process Service Record classification Channel type Interaction type Contains Has Same as Conducted via Delivered via Web menu structure Accessed from School clothing grants Provide information Application Provide information Receive application Verify… Service Interaction Process Web Phone Face to face … Channel
6. Document type Changes Process Organisation type Power/Duty Function Need Circumstance Life event Service Record classification Channel type Interaction type Legislation Outcome (PI) Contains Determines Defines Impacts on Addresses Implies Allows/ Requires Confers Confers on Has Same as Performs Is part of Defines eligibility for Conducted via Delivered via Implies preference for Grouped by People and places Organisation scope Organisation Web menu structure Accessed from Retention defined by
7. L ocal G overnment B usiness M odel
8. Definitions <ul><li>Service List is a skos:ConceptScheme </li></ul><ul><li>esd:ServiceClass is an rdfs:SubClass of skos:Concept </li></ul><ul><li>esd:requiresService is an rdfsSubProperty of skos:mappingRelation </li></ul>
9. Service List
10. Concept in the service list
11. A service concept
12. Service class definition
13. Service concept references Web pages with this service referenced in their metadata by dc:subject
14. Service mappings
15. Mapped duty
16. Legislation conferring the duty
17. More information <ul><li>http://doc.esd.org.uk/ </li></ul><ul><li>E-mail: [email_address] </li></ul>