A Synthesis of
● Theories of communication and
● Philosophies of education
What influences helped to form
● There are 14 statements, which can be
categorized into three groups:
○ How distance teaching can improve learning
○ How to improve dialog in a distance
○ Strategies for successful distance teaching
What is the basic structure of
● It allows teachers to use new media.
● It maximizes the cost effectiveness and
efficiency of education
● It helps teachers reach new groups of
How can distance teaching
● Focus on organization of course
● Use face-to-face meetings with tutors
● Create opportunities for group discussion
How can a distance teacher
foster dialog in class?
● Use multiple media
● Plan with a systems approach
● Use feedback effectively
● Promote student engagement through
What makes a distance
education class effective?
● Synthesizing theories is what most
teachers do instinctively.
● Much of the theory focuses on how to use
principles of effective communication to
create effective distance education
○ E.g. promote dialog, give feedback
● Planning a distance course requires
attention to the whole system and and a
flexible use of media.
Implications for Instruction
Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., &
Zvacek, S. (2012). Teaching and
at a distance: Foundations of distance
education. 5th Ed. Pearson Publishing.