2. What Happened?•On May 12, 2008, a terrible tragedy happened. Anearthquake struck Sichuan, China. The earthquakeonly lasted for 22.2 seconds, but the surface wavemagnitude was 8.0. It is largest earthquake in China,even larger than the 1976 Tangshan earthquake. Theaftershocks lasted for 72 hours after the quake, andwas ranged from 4.0 to 6.1. Some of the aftershockswhen high as 6 magnitude.•This 7.9 to 8.0 earthquake broke apart mountains,changed steam courses, made heavy strong bridgescollapse… A total disaster!
3. When Did It Happen?•The earthquake struck on May 12, 2008, 2 AM 12, 04seconds.•Even thought the earthquake was only 22.2 seconds,but it influenced thousands of people’s life.•It was still midnight when the earthquake struck, sonot everybody has gotten a chance to escape.•Lots of them just died in their dreams.
4. Casualties•Because of the earthquake, 67,551 people died,281,367 people got hurt and 9148 people disappearedforever in the ashes.•In a city called Mingyang, seven schools collapsed,and buried over 1,700 students inside.•In a town called Yingxiu, only 2,300 people out ofabout 9,000 people survived.
5. perty Damage•Because of the earthquake, at least 5 million peoplelost their houses, but that was only at least.•Millions of farm animals, reptiles, and birds lost theirhomes.•In Sichuan, out of 60 million pigs, over 1 million diedin the earthquake.•People have estimated that the Chinese governmenthad spent over 20 million trying to repair the damage
6. Other Things About the Earthquake•The earthquake broke mountains, formed land slides…•During this previous disaster, there were lots ofheroes, like a man called Chen Guangbiao, who ownsa construction company. When he heard the newsabout the earthquake, in just 2 hours and 30 minutes,he and his crew members came and helped. Hetransported 60 construction machines and led 120volunteers to come and rescue…
7. Science Behind It: What Caused It?•The Eastern Sichuan earthquake was caused by twotectonic plates, the Eurasian plate and the Indianplate.• After the year 1964, the activity of the earthquakehaving a magnitude has increased. (Dotted Area)
8. Where Did the Earthquake Struck?•The location is at 30.986oN, 103.364oE•In total, the earthquake struck 9 Provinces, and theplace with the worst damage is Sichuan. In cities likeMianyang, Ngawa had at least twenty thousand whodied.
9. •Sichuan is located along the Longmen Shan fault.•The Longmen Shan fault is the edge of Tibet isalso a part of the Longmen Shan Mountain thatmeets up with the Sichuan basin.•The earthquake shouldn’t be happening inSichuan, but the 2008 earthquake was caused bypressure from Longmen mountain which ispushing north, stopped by the Sichuan basin. Foryears, the pressure built up into a certain amountwhich caused the earthquake.The Plate Boundary
10. Other Reasons For the Earthquake•The earthquake is caused by the tectonic plates forsure, but lots of people are still guessing the reasonfor this to happen.•Some people said that it is caused by the Eurasianplate and the Indian plate moving.•But others said that it was caused by the movementof Longmenshan.•These are still guesses, so nobody is totally sureabout what caused the earthquake.
11. Some Pictures…
12. Bibliography• Baidu, ed. "5·12????." 5·12????. Baidu, n.d. Web. 5 June 2013.<http://baike.baidu.com/view/3486152.htm?fromId=1587399>.• California Institute of Technology. The Science Behind Chinas 2008 Sichuan Earthquake. TheScience Behind Chinas 2008 Sichuan Earthquake. California Institute of Technology, n.d. Web.5 June 2013. <http://www.tectonics.caltech.edu/outreach/highlights/2008MayChinaEQ/>.• Hays, Jeffrey. "Sichuan Earthquake in 2008." Sichuan Earthquake in 2008. Jeffrey Hays, n.d.Web. 5 June 2013. <http://factsanddetails.com/china.php?itemid=407>.• Pararas, George. "May 12 Province Sichuan." May 12 Province Sichuan. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 June2013. <http://www.drgeorgepc.com/Earthquake2008ChinaSichuan.html>.• Sowmya N, Rani. "Heros of Sichuan Earthquake 2008." Heros of Sichuan Earthquake 2008.Rani Sowmya N, n.d. Web. 5 June 2013. <http://www.slideshare.net/rasola/hero-432437>.• USGS. "Magnitude 7.9 - Eastern Sichuan China." Magnitude 7.9 - Eastern Sichuan China. USGS,n.d. Web. 5 June 2013.<http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2008/us2008ryan/>.• - - -. "Poster of the Eastern Sichuan, China Earthquake of 12 May 2008 - Magnitude 7.9."Poster of the Eastern Sichuan, China Earthquake of 12 May 2008 - Magnitude 7.9. USGS, n.d.Web. 5 June 2013.<http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/poster/2008/20080512.php>.• Why Did Pentagon Completely Confuse China? Why Did Pentagon Completely Confuse China?N.p., n.d. Web. 5 June 2013. <http://www.veteranstoday.com/2012/01/19/sichuan-earthquake-did-pentagon-completely-confuse-china-about-what-it-was-up-to/>.• Wikipedia, ed. "2008 Sichuan Earthquake." 2008 Sichuan Earthquake. Wikipedia, n.d. Web. 5June 2013. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Sichuan_earthqua