Check it out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art - 1883
10 Marine Sediments Notes
14. Marine Sediments
pages 113-136 in your text
It’s a Wet, Dirty World!
Ya Gotta Love It!!!
What is Sediment?
Matter that has been deposited by some
Where does marine sediment come
Major Sediment Input to the Oceans-Land
Rivers contribute the most
Glaciers and ice sheets
Wind blown dust
How is marine sediment classified?
• Oceanic (AKA Pelagic) – those found in
the open ocean (further away from
• Neritic – those found in waters above
continental margins (closer to land)
(coastal, “n” for nearshore)
What sediments are found where?
What are the sediment types?
1) Terrigenous - derived from land
2) Biogenous - derived from plants and animals
3) Hydrogenous - formed on or in the
sediments on the sea floor (AKA Authigenic)
4) Cosmogenous - particles from outer space
See page 119 in your text for a summary of
If the ocean becomes more acidic, organisms
with calcium skeletons will be in trouble
Coccolithophore subjected to
acidic seas – before and after:
calcium shells –
imagine a huge