1. Definition: Fraction A fraction is a part of a whole thing or a part of a group of things
2. We use the symbol to represent the shaded portion of the whole.
3. Number of parts that we are talking about Total number of parts
4. Write shaded area as fraction
5. Write shaded area as fraction
6. A fraction consists of two numerals with a horizontal bar between them. The horizontal bar is called the fraction bar. Terms of a fraction
7. The number above the fraction bar is called the numerator . The number below the fraction bar is called the denominator .
8. Numerator Denominator Fraction bar
9. We write , and say “ two-fifths ” or “ two over five ”
10. If the numerator is less than the denominator is called a proper fraction . Proper fraction:
11. If the denominator is less than the numerator is called a im proper fraction . Improper fraction:
12. A mixed number is the sum of a whole number and a proper fraction. Mixed number:
13. Divide the numerator by the denominator. Writing an improper fraction as a mixed number If there is a remainder, write the remainder over the original denominator.
14. Multiply the denominator of the fraction by the whole-number portion o f the mixed number. Writing a mixed number as an improper fraction Add the numerator of the fraction to that product. Write that sum over the original denominator to form the improper fraction.
15. Representing proper fractions on a number line 1. Divide the distance between zero and 1 into as many parts as the denominator of the proper fraction. 2. Start from zero, and move as many parts as the numerator to the right. The end point is the image point of the proper fraction.
16. Equivalent fractions Definition: Fraction wihch have same value are called equivalent fractions .
17. Enlarging fractions Property: The value of a fraction does not change when its numerator and denominator are both multiplied by the same non-zero number.
18. Reducing fractions Writing a fraction in lowest term is called reducing the fraction. Property: The value of a fraction does not change when its numerator and denominator are both divided by the same non-zero number.