1. School UniformsCould they make your school a better place?
2. How They Could Help• Students gain confidence• Decrease in bullying• Social barriers will be erased• Improve classroom behavior
3. Statistics In Our SchoolI surveyed 147 students in our 8th grade class. Iasked the following questions:Where out of these places do you buy most of your clothes?Have you ever felt left out of a group or social status because of theclothes you wear?Have you ever judged someone because of their clothes?Would you be for or against school uniforms?
4. Where out of these places do you buy most of your clothes?Wal Mart- 18%Goodwill- 7%Hollister/Abercrombie/American Eagle- 56%Forever 21- 12%Old Navy/Gap- 7%
5. Have you ever felt left out of agroup or social status because of the clothes you wear?One hundred and nine people said no. That’s 74% ofeveryone that took the survey. However, the negativething is that 62% of the 74% who said no shop atHollister/Abercrombie/American Eagle. The reasonthat they may not feel left out is because they are partof the social status that others are being left out of.
6. Out of the 147 surveyed, 38 people (26%) said they do feel left out. That means over ¼ of thosesurveyed have felt left out because of clothing.
7. Have you ever judged someone because of their clothes?Only 46 people said yes to this question, and 101 answered no. But, I think everyone does it whether they realize it or not. Have you ever seen someone walking in the hallway and thought they werent good enough because of the clothes they had on? That’s judging.
8. Would you be for or against school uniforms?Only 20 people (14%) said yes to getting uniforms. Some reasons for this may be: Cost Losing freedom of expression Shoes and jewelry could still set that status
9. Even though these things may be true, school uniforms help more than harm. Do clothes really make a person anyway? The thing thatdefines who you are should be your personality!You can still express yourself with your hair and shoes.
10. I think uniforms are a good idea because theywill make us all equal. No one can bully you foryour clothes if they are wearing the same thing!Even though 86% of those surveyed said no tothe idea of getting uniforms, I hope to changetheir minds. How many of you have thought, “Ihave nothing to wear!”? Uniforms will solve thisproblem too.
11. In conclusionUniforms would be a positive change in our school because: • It will erase social barriers • It will decrease bullying • It will improve classroom behavior