To review the important literary devices present
in the story
To demonstrate understanding of those devices
A reference in one work of literature to a
historical event, person, or another work of
literature, often used to deepen the meaning
of the story.
Look at the title of the story again. What
does O. Henry allude to?
Excitement or tension that readers feels as
they become involved in a story.
• Readers become eager to know the outcome
of the plot
• When did you start to feel tension in the
The author gives little clues about what is
going to happen in the story.
Does O. Henry give us any clues?
In general, irony is a form of contrasts
• Dramatic: You know something that the
characters do not
• Situational: Something unexpected happens
• Verbal: What is said is different than what is
What is ironic about this story????
OF COURSE, FOLKS HAVE
IMITATED O. HENRY’S
THE IRONY REVEALS…
The theme! What is the theme?
(don’t answer that…save it for
the exit ticket)