10th September 2013
Grand Hyatt Hong Kong
What is Social Media Matters?
• Social Media Matters has cemented its position as Asia’s highest level business event created
for brands and by brands.
• Bringing together major global and regional social media platforms and brands at the forefront
of driving innovations in consumer engagement, the event showcases how leading advertisers
unlock the insights behind creativity and data to generate business results.
• Aimed to critically examine the use of social media as a powerful business tool, Branded, Asia’s
premier events company and Social@Ogilvy, Asia’s most awarded social media team, partnered
to produce this unique senior level event.
Social Media Matters is one of the best digital and social media events
organized in Hong Kong. The quality of the presenters were good, with
relevant insights from different industries and players in social media.
Pierre Abadie Lacourtoisie
Regional Director, Digital & Online, Estée Lauder
• In 2013, the second annual Social Media Matters attracted over 900 attendees made up of
700 senior executive delegates and 250 fans.
• Over 80% of the delegates comprised of leading advertisers, controlling regional and
country marketing budgets.
• The #SMMHK hashtag was a trending topic with over 5,000 conversations about the event.
• The received extensive international media coverage in over 30 publications including
Financial Times, Bloomberg, Wall Street Journal, South China Morning Post, Prestige,
Campaign Asia Pacific and many more.
This event is definitely in a high-end category as it provides a good
platform for networking and attracting the top drivers of the region. I
very much like the unexpected guests and events, like this year
McBarbie07 and the spontaneous gathering of young fans, from which
brand builders can learn a lot in the social space.
Head of Digital & Social Media, Greater China, Nestlé
Who Participated at the Event?
35 Globally recognised speakers:
• We gathered leading thinkers, practitioners and stake holders in the global advertising industry
including many of the world’s most valuable brands, including global and regional level speakers from
Coca Cola, Nike, Estee Lauder, Nestle, Unilever, HSBC, Philips, Shangri-La Hotels, IMAX,
Intercontinental Hotels, American Express and Ford.
• The event was supported by leading social media platforms such as LINE, Renren, Sina, Twitter,
LinkedIn and Facebook.
• The Social Media Matters programme has evolved to reflect the fast-paced changes in digital
• The talking point in 2012 was “the ROI of social” and in 2013 the event explored how creativity, mobile
and data can be used to drive business results.
Global Head of Social Media,
Vice President, Marketing Greater China,
Director ASEAN Integrated Marketing
Showcasing the Power of Social Celebrity
• The event hosted Bethany Mota, one of the most successful YouTube stars in
the world with over 3 million subscribers and 300 million views on her YouTube
• A single tweet from Bethany prompted more than 2,000 fans to sign up to meet
their star. The lucky first 250 teens were invited to meet her at the event.
• A show within a show, the Beatlemania-style reception of Bethany by her fans
brought home to all attending the power of celebrity built only within social
• A video of Bethany at the event:
Thank you so
much for bringing
me to meet
Bethany! What an
What did attendees say?
Social Media Matters stepped up the APAC social
media conversation like never before, providing
thought provoking and engaging content for those
brands, social platforms, media and agencies that
attended. I can't wait for #SMMHK 2014!
Social Marketing & Community
Manager - Asia, Middle East & Africa,
This was a stellar event, bringing together brand,
marketing and platform leaders from around the
world to shape the future of social.
Head of Social, Asia Pacific, Google
Managing Director, East Asia, Twitter
Social Media Matters is one of the best
industry events in Asia. The event is very
successful at addressing the issues of using
social media as a business tool and is the
key yearly gathering of the leading global
thinkers, practitioners and marketers. I
always make it a point to attend.
Social Media Matters is THE social media conference in Asia. Its the only conference where they get all of the top
players from all over Asia and Silicon Valley together for an extremely intense day of speakers and sessions… Social
Media Matters only gets the best of the best in terms of speakers and crams in 20+ speakers into one full day that leaves
the attendees drinking from a firehose in terms of learning so much in one intense day.
CEO , Bubbly
What the community said on Twitter
The event hashtag #SMMHK was a trending topic and there were over 5,000 conversations about the
Extensive international media coverage
• Social Media Matters received wide ranging media coverage from over 30 international
publications including Financial Times, Bloomberg, Wall Street Journal, South China
Morning Post, Prestige, Campaign Asia Pacific and many more.
• The event was reported on Bloomberg TV with three speaker interviews broadcasted
Asia-wide and interviews were conducted on RTHK, Hong Kong’s largest radio
The latest research
• During the conference there were “Research
Blasts” in which experts shared the most up-to-
date global research on brand advocacy
showrooming and luxury.
• Every attendee received a hard-cover 40-page
booklet filled with current research from TNS
on Asia’s consumer behaviour.
Dedicated live content webpage
• A live content page was created for Social
Media Matters, which featured behind-the-
scenes interviews with speakers, Instagram
updates, live quotes and tweets, articles and
• You can see more on:
The event was easily the best I’ve attended this year. Social Media Matters is
one of the only conferences in Asia that says ‘C-Level’ and actually delivers it.
Head of Digital, Greater China, TNS
• Social@Ogilvy and Branded created a world class event with senior level
representation from the entire social media value chain, from brands and
agencies to platforms and service providers.
• Social Media Matters provided sponsors with a high level client-facing
industry event, to showcase innovations and business opportunities.
• Success in providing thought-leadership and leading discussions on the
business ROI of social media.
• Developed a network of senior level loyal attendees and a community on
This event is fun-tastic! The
way it was arranged was
creatively engaging. The
content was thoughtful and
Country Media Director, Unilever Indonesia
We want to hear from you!
For more information in in partnering with us for Asia’s most important social media conference,
please contact us:
• For speaking opportunities or to attend the event, please contact Kelly Yau, Branded’s Head
of Content and all things Social Media Matters (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Thomas
Crampton, Social@Ogilvy’s Asia Pacific Director (email@example.com)
• For sponsorship opportunities and discovering ways to partner with us, please contact
Victoria Pawsey, Branded’s Sales Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• To keep up with our updates, videos and presentations from Social Media Matters 2013
please visit www.socialmatters.asia