Hi, This morning I want to introduce you to the ZIS Digital LibraryIt’s a virtual library that’s open all day, everyday, where you can borrow ebooks and audiobooks just as you would a print book or a book on CD. But you don’t have to come to the library to get it. Even better, you don’t have to come to the library to return it either. You can access this library anywhere you have an Internet connection. Unlike ebooks and audiobooks purchased from a vendor, when you borrow from the overdrive library, there is no charge.
The Overdrive Digital Library which is now part of the ZIS Library Learning Commons collections. From this digital library, you can download eBooks and Audiobooksto read or listen to on your computer or a mobile device.But first, you need to have a few things.Before you begin, you need to make sure your system has these elements:
But first, before you begin, you need to make sure your system has these features:An Internet connection A valid authentication code (login): (More about that in a minute) OverDrive Media Console downloaded from zis.lib.overdrive.comAdobe® Digital Editions downloaded from Adobe.comiTunes – if you’ll be transferring to your iPod or iPhone
You can go directly to our virtual catalog from the Destiny homepage
After you make a selection, add it to your Bookbag. Make sure the book will play on the device you want it to.
Now you can continue Browsing or you can Proceed to Checkout. If you proceed to checkout, you will have to log in, using your authentication code. Okay, what’s an authentication code?
Your authenticationcode, here called Library Card Number, is your last name followed by your student number. No capital letters; No spaces; no punctuation marks.
Once logged in, you may choose a loan period, either 7 or 14 days. Then confirm the book checkout.
Next you’ll need to DOWNLOAD the book to your computer.
And Be sure to download all the parts.
Now you’re ready to read or listen to the chosen book on your computer, by accessing the Overdrive Media Console OR
You can TRANSFER the book to a mobile device to take with you where ever you go.
Today the collection has more audiobooks than ebooks. This is because most audiobooks can play on a variety of MP3/iPod/iPhone/smartphone devices. However, the eBooks are either in ePub format or PDF and not all ereaders can accommodate them. Overdrive books contain Digital rights management , usually referred to as DRM software which causes them to lock up on your computer or device at the end of the loan period. When that happens, they go back into the collections so that others can borrow them. Both the Sony eReader and the Nook are compatible. We are expecting an iPad app to be available soon. Unfortunately, there are no plans at this time for the Kindle to accommodate Overdrive DRM loaded books.
Please see Mrs. Schreier if you have any questions and to get a smartcards that will give you all the directions you need to become a virtual library patron. Thanks …
1. http://zis.lib.overdrive.comVirtual LibraryDownloadable eBooks and Audio BooksAvailable 24/7Anywhere You Have An Internet Connection<br />
2. http://zis.lib.overdrive.com<br />
3. What You Need<br />Internet Connection<br />Authentication Code<br />Adobe® Digital Editions<br />OverDrive Media Console<br />iTunes<br />
4. Browse: Destiny Homepage<br />
5. Add to Bookbag<br />
6. Proceed to Checkout<br />
7. LogIn – Select Campus Affiliation<br />
8. Log In – Enter your Authentication CodeYour last name and student number<br />Student codes = lastnamestudentnumber jones1234<br />Staff codes = lastnameemplyeenumber smith5678<br />Parent codes = lastnamefirstnamemillersally<br />
9. Confirm Check Out<br />
10. Download<br />
11. Download all the files<br />
12. Read or Listen Immediately <br />
13. Transfer to a mobile device<br />
14. iPad/iPhone Apps<br />
15. eBooks & Audio Books to Download to Your eReader or MP3 Player<br />