Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
0
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Ghost Trail 2
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×
Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

Ghost Trail 2

2,249

Published on

Driving Guide for a Heritage Corridor Tourism project for the Nevada Commission on Tourism and the Reno Sparks Convention and Visitors Authority

Driving Guide for a Heritage Corridor Tourism project for the Nevada Commission on Tourism and the Reno Sparks Convention and Visitors Authority

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
2,249
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. GHOST TRAIL Northern Nevada Heritage Corridor Driving Guide
  • 2. NORTHERN NEVADA GHOST TRAIL hosts in Northern Nevada aren’t of the ghoulish campfire variety. Here, they tell stories of the past … of the colorful characters of the Comstock era, when silver was king and Virginia City was the cultural center of the Western expansion, or when getting a divorce required establishing residency in Reno during an extended stay. Whether it’s Lake Tahoe’s smoky showrooms that hosted characters like Frank Sinatra and Marilyn Monroe during the golden age of casinos, or the pioneer families of rural settlements like Genoa, the apparitions that appear to some today are a reminder of connection between history and place.
  • 3. Fourth Ward School Museum From Virginia City’s southern entrance, visitors will delight in the Fourth Ward School, made famous as the inspiration for the haunted house at Walt Disney World. Constructed in 1876, the Second Empire- style building was designed for 1,025 grammar The Comstock sites of Virginia City, Gold and high school students. The building was Hill, Silver City and areas of Dayton are all shuttered for 50 years before preservationists part of a National Historic Landmark. reopened it as a museum with exhibits and For more information on sites and events in interpretive displays. the Virginia City area please visit Virginia City Convention and Tourism Authority y 537 South C Street Courtesy of Comstock Historic District Commission y 86 South C Street y Open 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. daily y 800.718.7587 775.847.7500 May 1 through October 31 Piper’s Opera House www.visitvirginiacitynv.com y Admission Adults $5, children $3 (ages 6-16) Built between 1863 and 1865, Piper’s Children under 6 free with an adult Opera House is considered one of Silver Terrace Cemeteries y More information the nation’s most famous performance 775.847.0975 venues and one of the most significant On the dramatic, windswept hillsides www.fourthwardschool.org vintage theaters in America. Piper’s is of Virginia City, among the abandoned Photo by Candace Wheeler; Voices of the Past; A Cemetery Performance also one of the Comstock’s centers for mines that remind visitors of the Comstock’s the supernatural. Manifestations of John heyday, reside the Silver Terrace Cemeteries. Piper himself are often said to appear in The ornate, Victorian-era plots tell the stories the building; visitors often detect a strong of Virginia City’s history and immigrant cigar odor despite a strict no-smoking culture, capturing their profiles in colorful policy. In the upper left proscenium inscriptions. The Silver Terrace Cemeteries box, a young woman believed to be the host more than 100 visitors a day during the incarnation of a period prostitute has been summer months. seen looking down. y End of North E Street y 1 North B Street (Off C Street business district) y Call for operating hours and y Open 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. daily schedule of events y More information y More information www.comstockcemeteryfoundation.com 775.847.0433 www.pipersoperahouse.com
  • 4. St. Mary’s Art Center Mackay Mansion The first stop for any ghost hunter at Built of brick in the Italianate style, the St. Mary’s Art Center in Virginia City Mackay Mansion first served as the is Room 11. This is where the “White Nun” Gould and Curry Mining Company offices and is said to frequently stop during her rounds provided accommodations for the company at the former hospital. Accounts have her mine superintendent. The building survived apparition appearing late at night from one Virginia City’s Great Fire of 1875, after which of the windows on the second floor. The it became a local business headquarters and building now serves as a center for art retreats residence for one of the most powerful and and conferences, but the history, dating back wealthy men on the Comstock, John Mackay. Photo by Candace Wheeler to 1875 when it was built by the Daughters Of spirits past, the mansion has many. A female of Charity and Father Patrick Manogue on Victorian-era ghost sits in a high-backed chair Washoe Club land donated by Mrs. John W. (Mary Louise) in the living room and moves around on the Mackay, lives on. third floor. The “Child in White” likes to muss Originally called the Millionaires Club, the freshly made bed in another upstairs room. Virginia City’s Washoe Club gave y 55 North R Street A former servant busies herself, traipsing up sanctuary to nouveau riche men enjoying y Open 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and down the staircase to finish her chores, the pleasures of their wealth. From the Tuesday - Sunday while a retired army colonel sits and passes time respectable façade, through a door at the top Half- hour tours run May – October in the kitchen. of the extraordinary winding staircase, the men y More information crossed into a world of gambling, cigars, liquor 775.847.7774 y 129 South D Street and prostitutes. A lovely blonde apparition, www.stmarysartcenter.org y Privately owned; tours by reservation only known as the “Lady in Blue,” appears on the y More information spiral staircase so often that patrons have 775.847.0173 given her a name, calling her “Lena.” The Artist: Local Photographer Tony Allen spirits who reside here seem to be particularly unhappy, they are known to throw things, move furniture, open and close doors and poke unsuspecting folks. The Washoe Club is the oldest saloon in Virginia City. Plan to stop by for a drink and possible ghost sightings. y 112 South C Street y Open 11:00 a.m. until closing y More information 775.847.7210
  • 5. Gold Hill Hotel The Gold Hill Hotel is home to the spirits of Rose and William. Rose manifests as the scent of “Attar of Roses” perfume, while William uses strong pipe tobacco. There is also a noisy, giggling gaggle Courtesy of Comstock Historic District Commission of children who like to run up and down the halls, and a heavy-footed individual who prefers the stairway. These manifestations are so common that the hotel staff doesn’t even Gold Hill was founded in 1859 by miss a beat when they occur. Behind the four friends, James “Ole Virginia” hotel is a miner’s cabin and the entrance to Fenimore, Jack Yount, John Bishop, and the Yellow Jacket Mine. This mine had a fire Alec Henderson. Located two miles south in 1869 that caused the mine to collapse and of Virginia City, the town’s fortunes rose and explode, sending smoke into the Crown Point fell with the Comstock mines. Gold Hill was and Kentucky Mines. The fire killed 35 men known for its six mines that produced several and the miners reported finding smoldering million dollars worth of gold and silver by timbers for two years. Walking along the bluff, 1880. Many of the men buried at the Gold people have heard pick-and-shovel noises and Hill Cemeteries were miners who died in murmured voices. mining accidents. y One mile south of Virginia City on Hwy 342 y From the Gold Hill Hotel, travel south on y More information HWY 342 approxiamtely 0.3 miles until you 775.847.0111 reach a dirt road on right, turn right onto dirt www.goldhillhotel.net road. At top of hill take sharp right, follow as it winds around cemetery. There is a gate on the south side.
  • 6. Kit Carson Trail Ghost Walks Those who dare to take the guided Kit CARSON CITY Carson Trail Ghost Walk will have chance encounters with spirits of the past. For more information on sites and events in This 90-minute tour starts at the Nevada SILVER CITY the Carson City area please visit the State Museum, winding through Carson Carson City Convention & Visitors Bureau City’s Victorian-era historic district. Hosts Silver City Cemetery 1900 South Carson St., Suite 100 wear period costumes, portraying ghosts and other prominent figures from Carson City’s Silver City dates to 1859, resting on y 800.NEVADA.1 or 775.687.7410 storied past. a weak spur of the Comstock Lode. www.visitcarsoncity.com The people of Silver City attempted mining, but milling proved more profitable. It took y Tours available the Saturday of Memorial Comstock miners a while to discover that the Day Weekend and the third Saturday local bluish mud was actually silver, but two Thanks largely to Mark Twain’s book in October. early prospectors who lived where Silver City Roughing It, legendary stagecoach driver y For more information contact the would be founded realized its importance. Hank Monk is better remembered than the Carson City Convention & Visitors Bureau Hosea and Ethan Allan Grosch discovered pillars of local society buried around him at at 800.NEVADA.1 or 775.687.7410 silver ore in the midst of gold mining, but what Lone Mountain Cemetery. These grounds they knew died with them. In 1857 the Grosch record the history of the rich and poor, Lone Mountain Cemetery Procession, Courtesy Nevada State Museum, brothers tragically died within three weeks of famous and infamous, and often offer the sole Carson City, Nevada Department of Cultural Affairs each other. Hosea suffered blood poisoning artifact to tell the story of the community and from a foot wound and Ethan Allan froze in a individuals who formed it. Those who rest at stream. The cemetery is located east of town. Lone Mountain include Abram Curry, the founder of Carson City; and Jennie Clemens, y From the Gold Hill Hotel take HWY 342 2.2 daughter of Orion Clemens and niece of miles to Silver City, turn up 2nd Street, right on Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) and Henry High Street, left at first dirt road, cemetery is on William Lockerman, an African American right. If traveling from Carson City, take HWY Civil War soldier. A map and walking tour 341, turn onto 342 to Silver City. book is available at the cemetery office. y 1044 Beverly Drive: From Carson Street, turn east on Winnie Lane, right on Roop Street, left on Beverly Drive. y Open 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday y More information 775.887.2111
  • 7. The Edwards House The Edwards House is another haunted residence that, according to local lore, was home to a ghostly housekeeper. In the late 1800s, Mrs. Maria Anderson served as the housekeeper and nanny for the Edward family. It is said that her favorite furnishing was a piano that had been shipped around the Cape to Carson City. The piano never needs dusting - even today - because the ghost of Mrs. Anderson continues to The Brewery Arts Center Governor’s Mansion keep it clean. In addition, several people have reported seeing Mrs. Anderson sitting in the The Brewery Arts Center is also the Completed in July 1909, the Governor’s home’s big bay window - as she once loved to subject of ghostly reports. Several Mansion is a commanding Neo Classical do when she was alive. visitors to the building report the feeling of Revival building. The stone mansion has being watched and have heard unexplainable been haunted since the 1950s, when a friend y 204 N. Minnesota Street noises. One witness claimed to have seen a presented the governor with an antique mantel y Private, but open to the public on man dapperly dressed in a brown checked clock that apparently contained spiritual Memorial Day Weekend and during the suit with a vest and yellow tie. The ghost is energy suspended in time. Parlor doors open Kit Carson Trail Ghost Walk believed to be James P. Maar, a one-time by themselves, and some visitors detect a (third Saturday in October) officer in the local Masonic Lodge that met cold, drifting presence. For many years, staff y More information for many years in the building, and who was and overnight guests have reported seeing 775.687.7410 or 800.NEVADA.1 in charge of keeping order in the hall. It is and hearing a woman in a long white dress said that the ghost is always polite and acts followed by a young girl wandering the second like a gentleman. This performing arts center floor. Despite numerous sightings, no one is is open to the public year round, including an quite sure who they are or why they haunt the art gallery and artisans store. Check out their mansion, although some have speculated that web site for the performing arts calendar. they are former First Lady Una Dickerson and her daughter, June Dickerson, the only child y 449 W. King Street ever born in the house. y Open year round y More information 775.883.1976 www.breweryarts.org y 606 North Mountain Street y More information 775.687.3000
  • 8. 29 SPARKS 80 28 30 RENO 395 80 431 341 89 50 25 WASHOE CITY VIRGINIA CITY 267 23 GOLD HILL 341 395 342 FRANKTOWN 24 429 SILVER CITY 341 DAYTON 877 27 26 50 28 10 CARSON CITY 18 28 14 13 11 16 15 12 LAKE TAHOE 50 17 206 395 50 89 19 20 GENOA GENOA LANE 206 207 MINDEN GARDNERVILLE MOTTSVILLE 21 207 22 50
  • 9. 341 431 1 Silver Terrace Cemeteries 2 Fourth Ward School Museum 3 Piper’s Opera House 4 St. Mary’s Art Center 1 D St C St.B St. St. 5 Mackay Mansion t. Cars mit S A on S 6 t. Washoe Club . Sum 7 E St Gold Hill Hotel 8 Gold Hill Cemetery St. VIRGINIA CITY . Mi ll S 9 Silver City Cemetery ard t. t. LS 3 10 Unio Lone Mountain Cemetery How n St 4 . 11 Kit Carson Trail Ghost Walks Tay t. lo r St 12 The Brewery Arts Center RS Was . 13 hing Governor’s Mansion . 6 Q St t on S t. 14 The Edwards House 15 Sears-Ferris House 16 Carson Pioneer Cemetery t. CS 17 The Ormsby County Poor Farm Cemetery 5 18 Empire Cemetery 2 19 Genoa Cemetery 20 Wild Rose Inn 21 Mottsville Cemetery 341 22 Garden Cemetery 342 23 Bowers Mansion Tombstone 24 Franktown Creek Cemetery 25 Sauer Family Cemetery 26 Thunderbird Lodge 27 7 Cal Neva Resort 8 GOLD HILL 28 Hillside Cemetery 29 Mountain View Cemetery 30 Morrill Hall SILVER CITY 9
  • 10. Carson Pioneer Cemetery Empire Cemetery Pioneer Cemetery is the first known Many founders of the community of cemetery in Carson City. It was once Empire as well as Carson City are buried the final resting place for Major William at Empire Cemetery. Most prominent is the Ormsby and his scout, William S. Allen after founder of Empire City himself, Nicholas they were killed at the Battle of Pyramid Ambrose, who was born October 8, 1824 Lake on May 12, 1860. While Allen’s grave and died May 22, 1880. His wife, Rebecca is remains, Mayor Ormsby’s body was moved to also buried there. One of Mark Twain’s early Carson City in 1907 by his family. Today, a attempts at fictional hoaxes involved Nicholas large granite cross, dedicated to Ormbsy and “Dutch Nick” Ambose’s establishment. He Allen, stands erect along with a handful of wrote of a horrific murder-suicide, with remaining headstones. the dying assailant at the doorstep of the Sears-Ferris House y Drive west on Fifth Street As Fifth Street way station. The hoax failed, leaving Twain curves sharply to the left and turns into Terrace embarassed because other newpapers took it Yet another ghost story involves the Street, there is an empty lot between two seriously. The incident left him determined to boyhood home of George Washington houses. Park and hike about 150 feet up hill to do better with his next experiment in writing. Gale Ferris Jr. In the early 1900s, a lavish wedding the cemetery. y East on William Street (HWY 50), turn party was being held in the home. Several guests at the party spoke to a woman dressed in a right on Deer Run Road, right at BLM Field The Ormsby County Poor Office; drive 0.4 mile, turn right on dirt road, wedding gown (who was not the bride) near the back gate. The guests later asked the confused Farm Cemetery immediate right into parking area adjacent to father of the bride why there were two brides at power boxes. Park and walk to cemetery at top The Ormsby Poor Farm was a place for of steep hill. the wedding. He said there was only one bride folks down on their luck who could not despite their claims to having seen a second one. afford a place to stay. The farm was located at Later, it was discovered that there had been a the southwest end of Carson City, south of what wedding party in the house years earlier. It is said is now Fuji Park south of Clear Creek. Located that the ghost of the first bride returned to watch in a small fenced area are the graves of two Civil over the party. War veterans, John Thoroughman and James Johnson. y 311 W. Third Street on southeast corner of Third and S. Division streets y Turn right onto Clear Creek Road, left into y Private, but open to the public on Fuji Park and park in lot. The gravesite is Memorial Day Weekend and during the located in a wooded area near the southeast Kit Carson Trail Ghost Walk end of the park. The site is somewhat diff icult (third Saturday in October) to f ind, but if you pass south through the y More information equestrian center and head to the west, you will 775.687-7410 or 800.NEVADA. see the graves in a fenced area beneath the trees.
  • 11. Wild Rose Inn (Genoa) Located behind the Wild Rose Inn, a Victorian bed and breakfast, is the Knott CARSON VALLEY Family graveyard established in 1859. The grave of 26-year-old Elzy Knott, is located For more information on sites and events in there. His father, Thomas, refused to bury his the Carson Valley area visit the son in the local Mormon graveyard because Carson Valley Visitors Authority in Gardnerville Elzy was killed over a bridle by a Mormon 1477 Hwy 395 (Visitor Center located in youth. Douglas County Museum building) y 2332 Main Street, Genoa y 800.727.7677 y More information www.visitcarsonvalley.org 775.782.5697 www.wildrose-inn.com Genoa Cemetery Mottsville Cemetery Nestled at the base of the Sierra Nevada in Garden Cemetery (Gardnerville) the Carson Valley, the Genoa Cemetery The settlement of Mottsville was named was established in the 1860s to provide an for Hiram Mott, an early Carson Valley Established in the late 1800s, Garden alternative to the Chinese Cemetery that was rancher. The Mott family was prominent in Cemetery holds generations of inconveniently located among the residences early Nevada history. Hiram Mott’s daughter- prominent Carson Valley families. All are part of the townspeople. The first to be buried in in-law, Eliza, was one of the first non-Indian of the history of this community, and their the Genoa Cemetery was a male schoolteacher women to settle in the state. The Mottsville contributions to the valley stand today. Carson whose headstone was marked by a marble dresser Cemetery was established in 1857 and was Valley men and women proudly served their top. The cemetery is the final resting place of among the state’s first cemeteries. nation in many conflicts, both in the United many early settlers and those who followed. States and the world-at-large: Veterans of the One of the most visited graves is that of John y From Genoa drive six miles south on American Civil War, Spanish-American War, A. “Snowshoe” Thompson, the “Mailman of HWY 206 (Foothill Road). Turn left on World War I, World War II, Korean War, and the Sierra”, who delivered mail from Genoa to Mottsville Road, left on Old Foothill Road, the Vietnam War rest here. Placerville between 1856 and 1876, traversing drive 0.3 mile, cemetery on left. the mountains on homemade skis. y South on HWY 395 into Gardnerville, right on Cemetery Street, follow road to cemetery. y From Genoa, drive north on Foothill Road. y More information Look for Genoa Cemetery sign on left side of 775.782.2555 or 775.782.2010 road. Snowshoe Thompson’s gravesite is located in SW corner by caretaker’s shed.
  • 12. Franktown Creek Cemetery WASHOE VALLEY Franktown was established in 1855 in the Washoe Valley by Orson Hyde, probate judge of Carson County, Utah Bowers Mansion Tombstone Territory. He built a sawmill that became an important enterprise in furnishing timber The Bowers Mansion was built in 1863 to the Comstock mines. The Dall quartz/ by Lemuel “Sandy” Bowers and his wife, gold mill employed hundreds of workmen, Eilley, and is the finest example of the homes and fertile farms surrounded the town. built in Nevada by the new millionaires of With the completion of the railroad from the Comstock mining boom. The mansion, Carson City to Virginia City in 1869, the designed by J. Neeley Johnson, a builder milling business rapidly lost its importance and ex-governor of California, combined and the once prosperous town declined. Georgian and Italianate architectural styles. It was modeled after a design conceived by Eilley y One mile south of Bowers Mansion on Old based on her recollection of elegant buildings U.S 395, turn right onto Franktown Road, in her native Scotland. The Bowers employed right onto Will Sauer Road (private road); stonecutters from Scotland for the construction cross bridge at Franktown Creek. Cemetery of their new home, which eventually cost parking on right. $400,000 to build, an exorbitant sum in the 1860s. Eilley and Sandy toured Europe from 1861 to 1863, purchasing furniture, statuary, paintings and other adornments for their home. The grave site sits in back of the mansion at the top of a rise. y Turn right from 395 South to Bowers Mansion onto Old U.S. 395. Drive 1.7 miles, turn right into parking lot. Mansion located at south end of park. Follow the “Bowers Grave Trail” located at the rear of the mansion to grave site at the top of the hill. y For tours and more information 775.849.0201 or 775.849.0644
  • 13. Sauer Family Cemetery (also known as Washoe City Cemetery) Andrew Sauer was born January 4, 1829, in Dielheim, Germany. Sauer, a butcher by trade, and his bride, Katherine Becker, came to Washoe Valley in 1859 from California. They raised cattle, carrots and potatoes for the mining towns. The Sauer ranch was a friendly stopping place for travelers, and due to Sauer’s vast accumulation of knowledge, was also a gathering center for intellectuals of the region. The Sauers had 11 children. y From Reno, drive south on Hwy 395 and park at Washoe Flats Steakhouse located at 555 Highway 395 N., Washoe City. Be very careful to avoid traffic on the highway.
  • 14. y 2 Stateline Road, Crystal Bay, Nevada From Reno, take Interstate 80 west 25 miles to U.S. Highway 267 exit; follow U.S. 267 south 10 miles to Kings Beach; turn left at the light on State Route 28; go two miles to LAKE TAHOE Crystal Bay; resort is on the right at the Nevada state line. Thunderbird Lodge y Resort is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Ghost tour in the summer only on The Thunderbird Lodge is one of the Fridays and Saturdays at 6:00 p.m. last residential estates on the Nevada The tour lasts 40 minutes. shores of Lake Tahoe from the period in which y Admission prominent San Francisco society built homes $8 adults, $5 children (ages 6-15) in the region. It is a must-see site for anyone y More information interested in history and ghosts. The Lodge 800.CAL.NEVA or 775.832.4000 was built in 1938 by George Whittell, a wealthy www.calnevaresort.com socialite and playboy, whose life was defined by outrageous behavior in his youth and his eccentricities in his later years. Reported to Image courtesy of Thunderbird Lodge Preservation Society Cal Neva Lodge, circa 1950 Courtesy of Special Collections, University of Nevada-Reno Library have several ghosts wandering the property, most haunting activity occurs in the boathouse and the pool house. Whittell commissioned Cal Neva Resort the 55-foot Thunderbird yacht in 1940 and this grand vessel would not fit in the original Frank Sinatra once owned the Cal Neva boathouse. Whittell decided to convert the Resort and lavishly entertained his boathouse to an indoor pool and build a bigger swinging friends, including Marilyn Monroe, boathouse elsewhere on the property. While certain members of the Kennedy family, working in the pool house, accessible through and the mobster Sam Giancana. Marilyn the 600-foot underground tunnel, a laborer fell Monroe’s spirit has spooked guests inside the from a ladder and died. Superstitious by nature, bungalow where she reportedly attempted Whittell ordered everything left as it was at the suicide; others have spotted her spirit in the time of the accident and had the room sealed. swimming pool, and in the halls of the new hotel. The ghost of Sammy Davis, Jr. is said to y Tours by reservation only beg visitors for a little peace and quiet. And y More information some believe that phantom visitors wander 775-832-8750 or 1.800.GO.TAHOE the tunnel that runs beneath the hotel to the www.thunderbirdlodge.org closet of Marilyn’s cabin.
  • 15. Morrill Hall at University of Nevada, Reno Campus The first building of the University of RENO Nevada, Reno campus, Morrill Hall is a rare example of the Second Empire style. For more information on sites and events in When the hall was constructed in 1885, the Reno-Tahoe area please visit Nevada was little more than a collection Reno-Sparks Convention & Visitors Authority of rough mining camps and railroad towns. 4001 S. Virginia Street, Suite G The new university hall symbolized the Reno, NV 89502 determination of the people of Nevada 800.FOR.RENO 775.827.7600 www.visitrenotahoe.com to provide educational opportunities for themselves and their children. A woman dressed in 1920s attire haunts Morrill Hall, Hillside Cemetery and certain paranormal events reportedly Mountain View Cemetery plague the building. Reno’s earliest cemetery was founded April 27, 1875 by Wiltshire Sanders who granted This cemetery contains the earthly y University of Nevada, Reno, at the a patent to use 40 acres for the Hillside Cemetery. remains of some of Nevada’s greatest intersection of Ninth and North Virginia Street Today, the cemetery is landscaped with scattered figures from the past. Pay your respects to y More information and skewed headstones that signify the 1,434 people Senator Pat McCarran, Mayor Ed Roberts www.unr.edu once buried there.While prominent figures in Reno’s and Velma Johnston “Wild Horse Annie,” history are buried there, a portion of the cemetery an animal-rights activist who exposed the Courtesy of University Archives, University of Nevada-Reno was used as a Potters Field, for indigents, and those cruel methods used by ranchers, hunters families that could not afford a plot. The graveyard, and “mustangers” to remove wild horses perched on a hill overlooking downtown Reno, is a from public lands. Her campaign resulted in monument to the early pioneers and original settlers. Congress passing Public Law 86-234, which Historically and culturally significant, the oldest banned air and land vehicles from hunting cemetery in Reno contains the names of those who and capturing wild horses on state land. This helped shape and develop the city; Frank Orr,George became known as the Wild Horse Annie Act. Peckham and Edmund Plumb among them. y 435 Stoker Avenue y Located west of the University of Nevada, Reno campus between University Terrace and (accessible from Stoker Avenue via west Nevada Street. From I-80 turn north on Fourth Street) y More information Virginia Street, left on 9th street, continuing onto University Terrace to Nevada Street. 775.329.9231
  • 16. Enjoy these special sites in Northern Nevada, and remember, while visiting cemteries, no gravestone rubbings are allowed and acts of theft and vandalism are felonies in the state of Nevada. For more information visit www.ghosttrailnv.com

×