Food That Fights Ageing In the perennial quest for longevity, there are no miracle cures. But whats onyour plate matters more than you think. Fruits and vegetables high in flavonoidsand carotenoids, two powerful plant-based antioxidants, remove the free radicalsfrom your skin and body that cause you to age prematurely. Here are 16 foods that will help you achieve your dream.
1. Romaine lettuce Six leaves can provide more than 100% of your daily quota of vitamin A, which increases cell turnover and revitalizes your skin while the mineral potassium in romaine improves circulation giving your skin a refreshing boost of nutrients and oxygen. Not only that, the vitamin K in romaine helps fight the occurrence of varicose veins.
2. Tomatoes Tomatoes are high in lycopene . Which is why when consumed on a daily basis tomatoes help fight sunburn (reports say 25% more protection against sunburn). It helps skin produce more collagen which prevents skin from sagging. German scientists believe that higher levels of this antioxidant help fight fine lines and wrinkles.
3. Strawberries A cup of strawberries have up to 130% of the daily quota of vitamin C, a potent antioxidant that boosts production of collagen, fibers that help keep skin smooth and firm. More C means fewer fine lines too. Research also says that ellagic acid, an antioxidant abundant in strawberries, protects the elastic fibers that keep skin from sagging. Strawberries are believed to lower the risk of cancer as well.
4. Soy Soy is a nutrient-dense food. It is a rich source of protein, unsaturated fats, fiber, B-vitamins, folic acid, potassium, calcium, zinc, and iron - and its cholesterol-free. Being a high-protein diet, it boosts the production of collagen. It fights fine line, wrinkles and boosts firmness in the skin. It also reduces the risk of ovarian and breast cancers.
5. Eggs Eating just one egg a day significantly increases blood levels of lutein and zeaxanthin (but not cholesterol), two antioxidants found in eggs, more than quadrupled protection against the UV damage that leads to lines, brown spots, and cancer. Skin becomes visibly softer, firmer and better hydrated.
6. Apples Apple peel contains an antioxidant called Quercetin. It gives a very good protection from UVB rays which are known to trigger skin cancer. Next time you have an apple, make sure you have it with the peel. Apples are believed to bring down the risk of heart disease by 15% too.
7. Almonds Eating a handful of almonds every day boosts levels of vitamin E, one of the most important antioxidants for skin. It boosts moisture too.
8. Cocoa Cocoa made with dark chocolate high in flavanoids not only aids in significantly softer, smoother, and better hydrated skin but is also believed to enhance brain function that may reduce the risk of dementia.
9. Extra Virgin Olive Oil Extra virgin olive oil daily contains essential fatty acids that help skin resist UV damage. EFAs are also part of the cell membranes that help hold in moisture, so consume about 1 tablespoon of olive oil daily to keep skin supple. Research suggests that hydroxytyrosol, a component in olive oil, lowers cholesterol and helps prevent obesity and diabetes.
10. Walnuts Walnuts are storehouses of alpha- linolenic acid, an omega-3 fat thats a key component of the lubricating layer that keeps skin moist and supple. Walnuts contain melatonin , a hormone that regulates sleep. Have walnuts at supper for a good beauty sleep.
11. Whole Grain Whole grain bread, pasta, and cereal are surprisingly high in antioxidants (whole wheat cereal, for example, contains a comparable amount to most fruits and vegetables), and eating additional antioxidants helps fight ageing. A study found that dieters who ate five servings of whole grains daily for 12 weeks lost twice as much stomach fat as those who ate refined carbs. The researchers credit the higher fiber in whole grains for the significant reduction in belly fat.
12. Blueberries Blueberries are not only a healthy snack, but an extract from the fruit can also do wonders for your skin. That deep blue/purple color is a result of compounds called anthocyanins, powerful antioxidants that shield the skin against harmful free radicals that can damage the collagen that keeps your skin firm. Blueberries are also packed with vitamin C, another antioxidant crucial for collagen production. The phytonutrients in blueberries can help curb skin cancer
13. Bearberries Bearberries have hypo pigmenting component. This component has a whitening effect on the skin, making it perfect for those want to treat freckles, age spots, or vitiligo. Bearberry also increases the cell turnover rate and it is an excellent antioxidant. It works to fight free radicals, preventing additional skin conditions, and works as a natural sunscreen. Bearberry can reverse the damage from the sun, and may very well play a role in the prevention of skin cancer.
14. Willow Bark Willow Bark has natural contents of salicylic acid which remove old and dead skin cells from your face and body and helps make way for new and fresh skin cells. Willow bark extract can make your skin youthful and radiant again. It also offers anti-inflammatory properties that can relieve swelling and sensitivity. This makes willow bark ideal for sensitive blemishes, cystic acne and even aging skin.
15. Rice Rice increases the production of collagen that functions in maintaining skin elasticity. The chemical structure of rice contributes to the regeneration and growth of skin cells that have been damaged or dead. Rice contains oryzanol substances that can help renew the skin pigment and is useful to counteract ultraviolet rays. Rice contains vitamin E which nourishes the skin so it looks younger. Ferulic acid in rice usefu l as an antioxidant and can protect skin from free radicals.
16. Honey Honeys ability to absorb and retain moisture helps keep skin hydrated and fresh and prevents drying. Honeys natural antioxidant and anti-microbial properties help protect the skin from the damage of the suns rays, supports the skins ability to rejuvenate and refresh depleted skin, leaving it feeling silky soft and supple. One of the most common natural skin care benefits of honey is treatment of minor acne.
My next effort : Skin Care Products from Oriflame with Natural Ingredients Thank You!! In case any of you is interested in purchasing Oriflame products or wishes to join Oriflame as a consultant in India…. you can contact me on my page… here’s the link… U can show ur appreciation in the form of “likes” and “shares” https://www.facebook.com/orflamei.bb
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.