View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Theme is the overall moral or message the
writer is trying to convey.
The message might be about life, society, or human
Themes often explore universal ideas and may be
implied rather than stated explicitly.
Theme is one of the most fundamental aspects of a
work of art.
• Many readers view themes differently, so you must
ﬁgure out the theme for yourself.
• No single theme is likely to be the ‘correct’ one, though
some seem more likely than others. Stories typically
have more than one theme.
• Theme is at the center; it is the moving force- the
principle of unity.
How do you ﬁnd themes?
• Check out the title. Sometimes it tells you a lot about the
• Notice repeating patterns and symbols. Sometimes
these lead you to the theme.
• Theme can be revealed through: SETTING; CHARACTERS
actions, thoughts, and words; POINT OF VIEW, MOTIFS,
• Also, be aware that a theme we determine from a story
never completely explains the novel. It is simply one of the
elements that make up the whole.
How do you ﬁnd themes?
1. Think of an idea that is in the story
2. Turn the idea into an assertion
3. Find rationalization of the assertion in the
4. Now, decide, is the assertion a theme?
Friendship Friendship can be a challenge and a comfort.
Dreams Not all dreams come true.
Loneliness All people are lonely in their own way.
Strength Strength is not always a good physical characteris=c to have.
Dogs Dogs make good friends.
Farming Farming is a hard life.
Migrant workers Migrant workers must move around a lot.
Death Death is a tragedy.
Of Mice and Men is, in essence, a work that
deﬁnes friendship. Steinbeck highlights how
friendship can offer both comfort and
challenges; however, most importantly, it
shows readers that true friendship requires
One of the messages Steinbeck
wants to convey in Of Mice and Men
is that not all dreams are achievable,
but even the pursuit of a dream can
Literary Analysis Essay -
What theme or message does the
author convey in your text? How and
why are these messages