Eleanor Roosevelt resigned from the Daughters
of the American Revolution in protest of its
refusal to allow African American vocalist Marion
Anderson to sing at Constitution Hall.
• taking a high proﬁle moral stand.
• assuming important roles after being First
• Prior to her marriage to John F. Kennedy,
Jacqueline Bouvier worked as a reporter and
photographer for the Washington Times-
Herald, earning $42.50 per week. She wrote a
column titled quot;Inquiring Camera Girl by
Jacqueline Bouvier.quot; Later in her life, Mrs.
Kennedy served as a well-respected book
• having a career.
1. what role is most important for First
Ladies to ﬁll?
2. do you think any of these roles are
inappropriate for the First Lady to ﬁll?
3. how might these roles be different the
ﬁrst time we have a female president
and her husband is the First Spouse?
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.