1. The exam
(in black and white!)
Can I understand the requirements
and format of the upcoming Media
Write down what you know about the exam already -
2. Exam details: Marketing and
Promotion of Videogames
Media Studies Unit 1 exam
• Worth 40% of the GCSE
• Wednesday 11 June 2014 (AM)
• Pre-release briefing material given out 12 May
along with revision pack
• Notes cannot be taken into exam
• Four tasks worth 15 marks each
• 20 minutes per task
3. What does the topic include?
Advertising campaigns for new videogames:
print, broadcast and e-media
• Promotional events/social media campaigns
to raise awareness of new games
• How a videogames audience is targeted
• How games on different platforms use
marketing to generate income and profit
4. What does it NOT include?
• How specific games are played
• The design of videogames themselves
• Anything to do with consoles/hardware
5. What will the questions be?
• Q1: Knowledge of exam topic – must use
examples from your case studies
• Q2: Your pitch for new campaign
• Q3: An additional question about your idea,
often relating to audience
• Q4: A practical design task
6. Case studies
• For Q1 in the exam, you need at least four case studies of existing
videogame advertising campaigns.
• We will cover two in class and you will choose two to research at
• For all four case studies, you need to cover the three platforms:
print, broadcast and e-media.
The case studies are vital for two reasons:
• You must mention a minimum of two campaigns in Q1 to achieve
higher than a D grade.
• You can use the creative promotional ideas you find as inspiration
for Q2, Q3 and Q4.
7. Lets look at last year’s exam:
• Different topic but very similar:
8. Preliminary Material
9. What about the responses?
• What grades would they get ?
• What are the main differences between an A
grade response and a C/D grade one ?