1. An Introduction to MT Computers & Databases CP2Agenda:After Viewing This PowerPoint, You Will:1. Login to the computer and go to LibGuides. Complete an online survey. Download a document: CP2 Database Scavenger Hunt.2. Open and complete the worksheet about Cyberbullying. Save to your folder.3. Open your email account and upload the document. Send the document as an attachment to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Three Sources for ResearchWhere do you go for: BooksBooks – Library Catalog or Follett Shelf (ebooks) WebWeb – Search Engine like Google (free) DatabasesDatabases – Through the Library Website (subscription only)
3. Research DatabasesWhat They Are: What They Aren’t:• Specific to a subject • Free• By experts or journalists • Searchable in Google or• Designed for students other search engine• Magazines, newspapers, book articles, radio & TV broadcasts
4. Check out • Advanced search options, tabs, or search within results • Email to self & print- friendly options • Citations provided for copy & pasteAdvanced Searching Diagram • Be specific (the less from ithacalibrary.com words the better) • Each one is a little different
5. Database Searching vs. Google SearchingDatabases need specific keywords to conduct a good search.You may also have to think of “like” words if you fail the first time.Take a question like:
6. What are the different types of bullying? What keywords would you search?
7. bullying types
8. Are there differences in the bullying experiences of girls and boys? What keywords would you search?
9. boys OR gendergirls differencesdifferences bullyingbullying
10. What’s the next step?• Click on Firefox, Explorer, or Safari. Go to: montytech.net and the Library.• Go to LibGuides:• Click on CP2 Introduction to Research Databases Class. Click on the tab for Freshmen Survey and complete.• Click on the Home tab. Download and open the CP2 Database Scavenger Hunt• Complete and save to your own folder.• Login to your email account and upload the saved document.• Send the document as an attachment to me at jourdain- email@example.com - See instructions.