SMARTBoard Institute 2010
SMARTBoard for ALL Content Areas – Focus on “STEM”
Course Description: This SMARTBoard course will integrate 21st century and STEM (Science, Technology,
Engineering, and Math) skills into any content area. Teachers will learn how to use every SMARTBoard feature,
beginner to advance. Teachers will use the SMARTBoard to create a curriculum unit that incorporates multimedia,
data collection, Information Literacy, and collaboration.
SMARTboard Notebook Software Understandings
SMARTBoard Beginner Features
• Saving/Downloading a notebook file
• Copying/printing into SMARTBoard
• Changing the properties of an object
• Infinite cloning
• Grouping/ordering objects
• Locking/moving objects
• Attaching link/sound
• Search the Gallery
• Adding a table
SMARTBoard Advance Features
• Screen Capture
• Saving Content to your Gallery
• Importing pictures and text from the Internet
• Adding attachments
• Custom themes
• SMARTBoard Recorder
• The Lesson Activity Toolkit
• Custom Search Engines will let teachers specify what sites students should search for materials on their unit
of study. Sites can be added by teachers or students.
• Alerts send emails to teachers and students containing information, news, and articles that mention their unit
• RSS feeds keep teachers and students up to date on their unit of study by pushing information on the
internet to students or teachers.
• Targeted search strategies will be reviewed.
• Forms and spreadsheets will let teachers and students collect, organize and present data on their unit of
• A wiki will foster multiple students pooling data on their assigned unit.
• Data Visualization
• Video and photo sites will be presented where teachers and students can find multimedia for the chosen unit
• Editing services will be used.
• Searching for copyright free video and images will be discussed.
• Podcasts and screencasts will be used by teachers and students to explain, analyze, and present material
from the unit of study.
• Voicethread will be used to reflect on understanding of units.
Topic Reading Activities Assignment
Learn all the features Finish creating
SMARTBoard of the SMARTBoard presentation material
Notebook Notebook software for a unit of curriculum
Beginner/Advance applied to a unit of using SMARTBoard
Set up a Custom Create a Custom
Information Literacy/ Search, learn advance Search and alerts and
Search search techniques, set feeds for selected unit
up alerts and feeds. of curriculum.
Create spreadsheets, Set up a wiki and form
2010 New Media
forms and wikis to to collect data to
Data Collection Consortium Horizon
collect research data analyze for unit of
for unit of curriculum study
Review photo and
US Department of
video websites, edit Compile photos and
Multimedia photos and videos, videos referencing unit
analyze copyright of study
Technology Plan 2010
rights of teachers
Present final website
Reflect on unit of study containing unit of
Collaboration material using podcasts curriculum integrated
and Voicethread. with technology
The final product for the course will be a unit of study/curriculum that was influenced, planned, integrated,
and assessed with technology learned from the course. The unit should be classroom ready for use by students.
The unit of curriculum should include the following features.
• Most of the beginner/advance SMARTBoard Notebook features.
• Information Literacy/Search (custom search, alerts, RSS feeds)
• Data Collection (spreadsheets, forms, wiki)
• Multimedia (photos and video)
• Collaboration (podcast, screencast, Voicethread)
ISTE National Educational Technology Standards
1. Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
3. Model Digital-Age Work and Learning
4. Promote and Model Digital Citizenship and Responsibility
5. Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership
Assignment - Final Presentation of Technology Influenced Curriculum Unit
1. Each student will create a final presentation of a curriculum unit posted on a website.
2. The curriculum unit must be influenced by the technology tools learned, utilize the technology tools learned
and be assessed with the technology tools learned.
3. The presentation will demonstrate an understanding of the tools introduced in class and an understanding of
the NETS Standards.
4. Students asked to identify how each of the technologies overlap and are used in their unit.
5. Provide examples for all of the different technologies used for your personal learning and for ways in which
this might impact your classrooms.
6. Presentation units will be presented and posted online.
**See Project Rubric Below**
Criteria 3 2 1 0
Knowledge The final assignment reflects an The final assignment The final The final assignment
excellent understanding of reflects an excellent assignment reflects does not reflect an
SMARTBoard Notebook, understanding of basic understanding of
Information/Search Literacy, Data SMARTBoard understanding of SMARTBoard
Collection, Multimedia, and Notebook, SMARTBoard Notebook,
Collaboration and how each of these Information/Search Notebook, Information/Search
areas overlaps and fits within the Literacy, Data Information/Search Literacy, Data
context of lifelong learning and Collection, Literacy, Data Collection, Multimedia,
curriculum creation. Multimedia, and Collection, and Collaboration.
Collaboration. Multimedia, and
Examples Many examples were provided for Many examples were Examples were Examples were not
all technologies and provide provided on all provided on some included.
evidence of learning for him or technologies learned. aspect of
herself or how they perceive future technologies
learning within the context of their learned.
Visual(s) / Student used visuals to reinforce Visuals related to Student Student used no visuals.
student learning, screen text, and student learning, text, occasionally used
presentation. and presentation. visuals that rarely
learning, text, and
Organization Student presents information in Student presents Audience has Audience cannot
logical, interesting sequence that the information in logical difficulty following understand presentation
audience can follow. sequence that the presentation because there is no
audience can follow. because student sequence of information.
Conventions Presentation has no misspellings or Presentation has no Presentation had Student's presentation
grammatical errors. more than two three misspellings had four or more spelling
misspellings and/or and/or grammatical errors and/or
grammatical errors. errors. grammatical errors.
SMART Board for All Content Areas - Focus on “STEM” -CMSV/CEGE 613R01
- (North Rockland Personnel ONLY)
This is a face-to-face course designed for all Teachers and Teaching Assistants grade
levels K-12. SMART Board skill level is beginner. This SMART Board course will
integrate 21st century and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) skills
into any content area. Teachers will learn how to use every SMART Board feature,
beginner to advanced. Teachers will use the SMART Board to create a curriculum
unit that incorporates multimedia, data collection, Information Literacy, and