– is a plant grown for its
leaves, which are smoked,
chewed, or sniffed for a
variety of effects
– Tobacco also contains more
than 19 known cancercausing chemicals (most are
collectively known as "tar")
and more than 4,000 other
Contents of cigaratte
When tobacco smoke is inhaled, nicotine is
absorbed into the bloodstream. Immediate
physiological effects include increased heart rate
and a rise in blood pressure.
• brown, stick substance that stains fingers
and teeth a yellow-brown color
• 70 % of the tar is deposited in the lungs
damages the small hairs called cilia.
• Irritant that causes coughing and chronic
• contains many poisonous chemicals that
can cause cancers.
• poisonous gas with no smell
• If you smoke 20 cigarettes a day you will
have around 10% less oxygen in your
• low energy, shortness of breath and
• thickens the blood, can cause fatty
deposits to clog up your arteries, which
can lead to a heart attack, stroke and limp
Did you know?
• Approximately 5.5 trillion cigarettes are
produced globally each year .
• Currently, there are an estimated 1.3
billion smokers in the world.
• Worldwide, between 80,000 and 100,000
kids start smoking every day- roughly half
of whom live in Asia
• More than 1,000 people in the U.S. die
each day from smoking-related illness.
• Smoking kills more people each year than
AIDS, fires, car accidents, murders,
suicides, alcohol and other drugs
• Smoking cost the United States over $193
billion in 2004, including $97 billion in lost
productivity and $96 billion in direct health
care expenditures, or an average of
$4,260 per adult smoker.
• Higher rates of cigarette smoking have
been reported among adults who have
earned a General Education Development
(GED) and those with a 9 - 11 grade
education. The lowest rates are seen
among those with advanced college
Recent surveys show that tobacco
consumption among girls is increasing
drastically around the globe, and that
prevalence is,in many cases, comparable
to or even greater than that among boys.
Why do people smoke and chew?
Their parents do it
Some people think it helps with weight
• The unemployment and poverty.
• Advertisements make it look attractive
Smoking can be good for you
• Not only does it feel good, Garry... smoking can in fact be
good for you.
At university we conducted a simple experiment.
We took 20 live worms and divided them into two groups of
We then placed one group into a glass of pure drinking water
and one group into a glass of water through which we filtered
the smoke from a packet of B&H cigarettes.
The worms in the drinking water lived for 7 days, but the
worms in the smokey water died an agonising death in less
than 30 minutes;
• proving that if you smoke... you won't get worms
• Effects on the Lungs
– According to the American Lung Association, about
90% of the deaths due to lung cancer. Smoking is
also responsible for the majority of deaths due to
chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD),
which includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis
– Smoking reduces a person's ability to control their
asthma, leading to reduced response to steroid
medicine and a worsening of lung function
• Cardiovascular Effects
– All forms of tobacco raise the risk of heart
– Smoking also significantly increases the risk
of peripheral artery disease, which causes
damage to the blood vessels in the legs and
increases the risk of heart attack and stroke
– the lung,
Effects on Male Fertility and Erectile
• Smoking can harm a man's sexuality and
• erectile dysfunction because it decreases the
amount of blood flowing into the penis
• impairs sperm motility, reduces sperm
lifespan, and may cause genetic changes that
can affect a man's offspring.
One trial found that men or women who
smoke have lower success rates with
Effects on Female Infertility, Pregnancy,
• Greater risk for infertility. Women at greatest
risk for fertility problems are those who smoke
one or more packs a day and who started
smoking before age 18
• Earlier menopause
perhaps because toxins
in cigarette smoke damage eggs
• Pregnancy complications, which increase with
the number of cigarettes smoked
Women who smoke during pregnancy are
more likely to have
– An ectopic pregnancy
– Vaginal bleeding
– Placental abruption placenta peels away, partially
or almost completely, from the uterine wall before
– A stillbirth
• Babies born to women who smoke during
pregnancy are more likely to be born
– With birth defects such as cleft lip or palate
– At low birth weight
The following age-related conditions occur
at higher rates in smokers than
• Age-related macular degeneration, a leading
cause of blindness in older people
• Hearing loss
• known as spit tobacco, chew, snuff, and dip, is
a form of tobacco that has become popular,
especially with athletes
• chewing on an average-size piece of chewing
tobacco for 30 minutes can deliver as much
nicotine as smoking three cigarettes.
Not only harm yourself but others
Whenever people smoke, all the others around them
are smoking too because they breathe in the same
harmful substances as the person who is smoking.
When children or adults breathe in other people's
smoke (second hand smoke), it is commonly known
as passive smoking
• Exposure to second-hand tobacco smoke as a
child or adult appears to increase a woman's
risk of breast cancer .
• Babies exposed to secondhand smoke
• Are more likely to die from SIDS (Sudden Infant
• Are at greater risk for asthma, bronchitis,
pneumonia ear infections respiratory
• May experience slow lung growth
can do What you
– It 's easy to protect your children from passive
5 million people are still dying from
tobacco use every year
(1 death every 6 seconds)
• Each year about 46% of smokers in the US try
to quit, with around 10% of them being
successful in the short term
• The longer-term success rate for stopping
smoking without anything to help is only
• Chantix was approved by the FDA in May
2006, and in the US is only available on
prescription. Chantrix is started one week
• Zyban is a tablet to help
• It contains a medicine
called bupropion,which is
used for depression.
Zyban is started before
quitting smoking, of
• Zyban is only available on
a doctor’s prescription.
Withdrawal when quitting smoking
feeling low or depressed
trouble concentrating wanting/craving a
According to PCBS, Palestinian Central
Bureau of Statistics
• the percentage of smokers among those 12
years and older was 22.1% in 2000 .
• By 2006 the percentage has declined to
• Most of the new non-smokers come from the
Gaza Strip, 20.4 % of them, while only 5.9 %
are in the West Bank.
• Palestinians begin at an early age. Between the ages
of 10 and 18 there was a reported 4%of them who
smoked in 2006 .
• 5% of Palestinian smokers are in primary and
• Among unmarried Palestinians between the ages of
15 and 29, 17.6 % have smoking habits.
• Data indicates that 26.1 % on them started between
the ages of 10 and 14.
• Another 61.2% said they began between the ages of
15 and 19.
• Before the age of 10, 1.5 % were reported to have
• Male Palestinians who smoke declined to 37 %
2006, a decrease from 2000’s 40.7 . Female
smokers was reported at 3.2 %in 2000 and 2.2
%in 2006, although this demographic is
difficult to measure as most woman smoke
secretly, or in the homes, and often their
family members do not know
World No Tobacco Day is
observed annually on
31 May to raise
awareness around the
world about the
dangers of tobacco, the
preventable cause of
disability and death.
The History of Hookah….
• Hookah’s date all the way back to the 15th century in
• It became famous under the Ottoman Empire to
which portraits were taken with it of the Sultans.
• It became known as a status symbol and was often
smoked after royal dinners and at diplomatic
• Waterpipes are popular throughout the
South-East Asia and Middle East regions and
have been used for many centuries under the
illusion that they were a safe way to smoke
Other known names of a “hookah”:
• Hookah is a water pipe with
a smoke chamber, a bowl, a
pipe and a hose.
• Specially made tobacco is
heated, and the smoke
passes through water and is
then drawn through a
rubber hose to a
• Special tobacco mixtures are sold, often
highly flavoured with fruit, honey,
molasses and herbs.
• Some hookah tobaccos claim to contain
0.0% Tar this is misleading .
Is it true that hookah smoke is better than
cigarette smoke because it's filtered through
• each hookah session typically lasts from 20 –
80 minutes and consists of 50 – 200 puffs
which range from 0.15 – 1 liter per puff .
• This exposes the hookah smoker to
considerably more smoke over a longer time
period compared with a cigarette which
ranges from 0.5 – 0.6 liters per cigarette.
• While the water absorbs some of the nicotine
in the tobacco smoke, the smoker can be
exposed to enough nicotine to cause addiction
• Other research shows that a 45 minute
session of hookah tobacco smoking (tobacco
molasses) delivers slightly more tar and
carbon monoxide (around 5-10%) than a pack
• With high temperatures for the tobacco (600650 degrees C), the carcinogenic and toxin
levels of smoke increases dramatically .
Hookah smoking points to dangers that are
similar to those linked with cigarette
• It is linked to health hazards like
impaired pulmonary function,
low birth weight,
Infectious diseases could also result from
• Using a waterpipe to smoke tobacco is not a
safe alternative to cigarette smoking
• A typical 1 hour long waterpipe smoking
session involves 100-200 times the volume of
smoke inhaled with single cigarette.
• even after has been passed through water,
the smoke contains high level of toxic
compounds like CO.
• Sharing a waterpipe mouthpieces posses
a serious risk of transmission of TB and
• Waterpipe smoke has sweet smell and
taste and that explain why some people
specially young people use waterpipes
instead of cigarettes.
• Second-hand smoke from waterpipes is a
mixture of tobacco smoke in addition to
smoke from the fuel and therefore poses
a serious risk for nonsmokers .
• Waterpipe tobacco is often sweetened and
flavored, making it very appealing; the sweet
smell and taste of the smoke explain why
some people particularly young who would
not use tobbacco, begin to use waterpipe
Hookahs can also be smoked with tobacco-free
herbal flavors. These contain Sugar Cane
Bagasse with no tobacco, nicotine or tar. This
new method of smoking is aimed at replacing
tobacco and thus eliminating its negative