1. Pretend that your best friend invited you to the movies. You reallywant to go, but you promised your grandmother you wouldspend the afternoon with her. Write about what you decide todo. Friday Donovan January 18, 2013 Ayanna Bryan Kathy Adrianette Edward Michael Christy Samira Jose Leon Jeffrey Emily Leslie Jessica Alexis Yamilee Alejandra Kareena Ricardo Diana Lilah Philicia Remy Jaileen Ixza Carlos Jordan David
2. Morning WorkDO NOW:Write the x10Times Table tentimes.
3. Reading Into the Future (p. 357)Talk About ItWhat kinds of newtechnology do youknow about? Whatinventions would youlike to see in the future? Look at the picture and respond in writing.
4. Rotated means "turned around on an axis ora central point."A robot is programmed to do the jobs thata person usually does.Reversed means "moved in the oppositedirection.Something that is defective has a flaw orweakness.
5. A meteor is a piece of rock from space.Something that is dangling is hanging orswinging loosely.Someone who staggered would be said tohave swayed or walked unsteadily.Tokens are pieces that mark your place ona game board.
6. Reading Who Says Robots Cant Think? (p. 358)AnalogiesAnalogies comparetwo pairs of words.Sometimes analogiesuse synonyms, wordsthat have similarmeanings. Forexample broken is todefective as tidy is toneat.
7. Evidence Conclusion MeteorsMeteor interfere withpassing by radio waves,Earth oven causing Sylviadoesnt work, to make arobot staggers strangeand almost request forfalls medals at end of story
8. Reading Zathura (p. 360)GenreScience Fiction tells astory of imaginedevents usually set inthe future and basedon science ortechnology.
9. polarity: a pull toward an object or ina particular direction.gyroscope: a piece of equipmentwith a spinning wheel or ball set in aframe that helps keep its directionsfrom changingmalfunctioning: not working properly.
10. Evidence ConclusionMr. Budwingsays they will Mr. and Mrs.be late. Mrs. Budwing areBudwing says going out forshe will set out dinner.dinner.
11. Character Trait mischievousDanny snitchslowactive annoyingsensitive victimized
12. Evidence ConclusionA Zorgon Zorgon mustpirate is be the nameaboard a of a planetZorgon pirate where theship. Zorgon pirate is from.
13. Evidence ConclusionWalter tells Walter hasDanny not to learned theplay the game isgame. dangerous.
14. Reading Robots Today & Tomorrow (p. 384)GenreNewspaper Articles tellabout current events ortrends. They answer thequestions who, what, where,when, why and how.A Headline is a short titleabout an even or subjectthat is designed to grab thereaders attention. A Bylinetells who wrote the article.
15. If something is mechanical, it isoperated by a machine or is machinelike.If an action is repetitive, it is done overand over again.Something limitless has no bounds orrestrictions.
16. Reading HomeworkPractice book, page 108
17. Math Power Practice / Homework ReviewDO NOW:• Complete the Multiplication Record Sheet.• Go over homework.
18. D.E.A.R. Time Drop Everything And Read
19. Science Fair Project
20. pitate up reptile whether electricitymoo pretty Eskimos
21. AnalogiesPractice Reading Analogies: Gold : a goldsmith :: iron : a blacksmith Cold : ice :: heat : fire Bird : nest :: rabbit : burrow Child : mother :: song : singer Sun : moon :: teacher : pupil
22. Analogies Click on blank for possible answers.Ant. unknownSyn. coolAnt. thenAnt. upSyn. hard vegetable
23. AnalogiesHow to read analogies: Camel : desert :: walrus : ocean is to is to asRead it: Camel is to desert as walrus is to ocean
24. Analogies Click on the blank to reveal the answer.Lets try one: ships or boats Automobiles are to cars as vessels are to ______________. How are each of these words related? They are synonyms. ___________________________
25. AnalogiesDefinition: An analogy is a comparison between two sets of words or ideas. Each set has a similar relationship.For example: "Valuable is to worthless as deep it to shallow." "Valuable is to worthless", the words are antonyms. The second part of the analogy is "as deep is to shallow" which are words that are also antonyms.
26. Midterm ScheduleReading Tuesday, January 22Math Wednesday, January 23Language Thursday, January 24Religion Friday, January 25Social Studies Midterm ProjectScience Midterm Project* Due Friday, January 25
27. Review for Reading• Miss Alaineus• Exploring Space• Rescue Dogs
28. Review for Math• Place Value• Multiply Whole Numbers• Divide by a OneDigit Divisor
29. Review for Language Arts• Nouns• Adjectives• Pronouns
31. Project for Social StudiesWrite an advertisement to persuade settlersto come to a new colony in NorthAmerica.Tell where the colony is located, why it wasfounded, and what life is like there.Organize your ideas, and support yourposition with evidence.Typed, double space (font size 12 or less),two page.Unit 2 (page 97)
32. Project for ScienceFind out about the density of the DeadSea. Write a one page story explaining whyswimmers dont sink in it.Use evidence to support your analysis.Typed, double space (font size 12 or less),one page.
33. Homework Summary for Friday January 18, 2013"No Homework Friday!"Study for your Reading midtermHave a great weekend!