The Christian In A Secular America
Parkside Bible Fellowship
Adult Sunday School
August 16, 2009
Right To Life
1. Welcome/Opening Prayer
2. In the News
• Gay/Lesbian Parade and Festival
• The Real Truth Behind Woodstock
• Church and State
• Euthanasia and Health Care
• Biblical Principles In Response to Euthanasia
• God is sovereign over life and death: Job 1: 20-22
• Bible specifically condemns the taking of life: Psalms 139: 16, Deut. 32: 39, Matthew 5: 21
• Our body as well as our spirit belongs to God: 1 Corinthians 6: 19-20, Galatians 2: 20
• God has a purpose for everything even when we don’t understand that purpose:
o Romans 11:33, James 4: 13-15
• Suffering has a place in God’s economy: II Corinthians 1: 8, 12:6-8
• As a result of Adam and Eve’s sin, death is inevitable: Romans 5: 12, 6: 23
• Hippocratic Oath
• Conclusion to Euthanasia
• Dr. Keith Essex, professor at Master’s Seminary provides Six Biblical guidelines for Christians when
o Death is inevitable---Ecclesiastes 3: 2
o Death is the enemy---1 Corinthians 15:26
o Dying is a process--- Hebrews 11:21-22
o Suffering is a part of life and death---Romans 8:18
o Instead of mercy killing, Christians need to exhibit mercy living.
Pray for, visit and care for the dying.
Euthanasia is NOT a good death
Christians having strong faith throughout life and even unto death are ones who die well.
o Slippery slope argument---What’s next?
• What does God’s Word say about Capital Punishment?
• Capital Punishment is divided in the Christian World
• Capital punishment was commanded by God in the Old Testament.
• Thou shall not kill: Two interpretations
o The Hebrew word translated "kill" is ratsach
o Distinction between killing and murder
• Capital punishment was assumed in the New Testament
o God ordains governing authorities
o Those governments may practice capital punishment.
o Did Christ abolish Capital Punishment with this phrase:
He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.
• Capital Punishment in the United States
• Is man a mere machine or a moral agent?
AGAINST: Man is a mere FOR: Man is a moral agent: Human
machine: Human beings, by and beings are free moral agents. They
large, are machines and not can make choices and they ought to
moral agents. When a machine be held responsible for the moral
goes bad, we fix the machine. choices they make
• If you are against Capital Punishment,
• If you support Capital Punishment