View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
The Christian In A Secular America
Parkside Bible Fellowship
Adult Sunday School
August 9, 2009
Right To Life
1. Welcome/Opening Prayer
2. The Sanctity of Life
• We Are the Salt and the Light In A Dying World
o As Christians, we must be ready to set the record straight every time the media portrays Physician
Assisted Suicide as an act of “COMPASSION,” if not, it could become a slippery slope.
• God Forbids Murder
• Active euthanasia occurs in those instances in which someone takes active means, such as a
lethal injection, to bring about someone’s death. “Physician Assisted Suicide”
• Passive euthanasia occurs in those instances in which someone simply refuses to intervene in
order to prevent someone’s death.
• Letting die involves the withholding or withdrawing life-prolonging and life-sustaining
medications and technologies from an irreversibly ill patient with whom death is imminent
even with treatment.
• Capital Punishment
• Euthanasia. Suicide and Capital Punishment are related.
o Many Americans, including Christians hold differing views on whether or not “mercy killing” should
become legal and whether the death penalty should remain so.
• Examples of Euthanasia and Suicide
• We, as Christians Affirm
o All human life is _______________________, is a_________________________from God, is of
_______________________at every stage of development, is the source of ___________________
dignity and the basis for__________________________________.
• Quality of Life vs Sanctity of Life
• • Treat all human life with equal worth
• Never intentionally take human life
• • Never take your own life and try to
prevent others’ from taking theirs
• • Be fruitful and multiply
• Treat all human life as more precious
• than any non-human life
• Quotes on Euthanasia: For and Against
• Biblical Principles In Response to Euthanasia
o God is sovereign over life and death: Job 1: 20-22
o Bible specifically condemns the taking of life: Psalms 139: 16, Deut. 32: 39, Matthew 5: 21
o Our body as well as our spirit belongs to God: 1 Corinthians 6: 19-20, Galatians 2: 20
o God has a purpose for everything even when we don’t understand that purpose:
Romans 11:33, James 4: 13-15
o Suffering has a place in God’s economy: II Corinthians 1: 8, 12:6-8
o As a result of Adam and Eve’s sin, death is inevitable: Romans 5: 12, 6: 23
• Hippocratic Oath
• Conclusion to Euthanasia
o John MacArthur suggests
Letting Die: is an acceptable option when death is both imminent and inevitable.
Living Will: is one form of advance directive, leaving instructions for treatment
Hospice: is an end of life care---NOT EUTHANASIA
o Dr. Keith Essex, professor at Master’s Seminary provides Four Biblical guidelines for Christians when
Death is inevitable---Ecclesiastes 3: 2
Death is the enemy---1 Corinthians 15:26
Dying is a process--- Hebrews 11:21-22
Suffering is a part of life and death---Romans 8:18
3. Chuck Colson and Breakpoint
• Websites of interest
o Arguments for National Health Care: http://www.pnhp.org/facts/singlepayer_faq.php#socialized
o For and Against: http://www.balancedpolitics.org/universal_health_care.htm
o Liberty Counsel Against National Health Care Overview of HR 3200 Health Reform Bill
o HR 3200 Health Reform Bill