Act 2 Scene 1 – The opening scene in
Cyprus so far
1. (From Line 61) Pick out any descriptions of Desdemona made by Cassio eg. “The
riches of the ship” (83)
2. Cassio kisses Iago’s wife Emilia as a greeting – what do you think Iago’s response
to this means? (100-102)
3. Puns are examples of wordplay - words having double meaning –think up any
double meanings or associations with “black” and “white” that Iago mentions
lots between 125-155
4. What is meant by Cassio’s apology to Desdemona in line 161?
5. Iago notices the attention Cassio plays to Desdemona: In an aside (starting 163)
to the audience he sees how his plan is going to work – pick out the line that
contains some kind of animal imagery, copy this down and explain what it means.
6. Read Iago’s aside (190-192) – What do you think this musical metaphor is trying
to say about what Iago is planning to do?
Second half of Act 2 Scene 1:
Iago and Roderigo
1. Plan into motion: Iago tells Roderigo that Desdemona is
in love with Cassio – why do you think he does this?
2. Re-read 248-62: What does Iago want Roderigo to do as
part of his plot?
3. Act 2 Scene 1 – Iago’s soliloquy!
a) What does Iago again accuse Othello of? (Include
b) What does he fear about Cassio in Line 288?
c) What do you think is the meaning of the final line of the
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.