GCSE History Question
USA Depth Study
Question 4 – Useful/surprised
1) Agree with statement, reference source, add own knowledge
2) Disagree with statement, reference source, add own knowledge.
3) Reach a verdict as to ‘how far’
Question 4 – Why produced?
1) What is the purpose of the cartoon/poster – remember PERSUADE! (for message question, replace purpose with message)
2) Source reference
3) Own knowledge
4) Reiterate message and purpose
Question 5/6a) – Describe
1) Describe 4 points, make sure that you include key details/facts
Question 5/6b) – Explain
1) Explain one reason (point + evidence + link back to question)
2) Explain a second reason (point + evidence + link back to question)
Question 5/6c) – Analyse
1) Explain one side of the argument, try to give two factors
2) Explain the other side of the argument, try to give two factors
3) Reach a valid conclusion and justify your view (compare points directly)
Use this booklet to help you practice answering the type of questions that might come up in your
exam. All of these are past questions, and you have the knowledge to answer all of them effectively.
It might, however, require you to think about how the knowledge that you do have enables you to
answer the question (don’t give up straight away!). Remember the key points noted on the generic
mark schemes above when answering the questions.