Problems in Education Today. College Tuition by Mitch Reynolds
The higher the education level a student receives, the better chance he/she has the chance to get a better paying job. The price to afford this education is becoming higher and higher every year and less people are being able to afford it.
The amount for a college student to afford school is becoming more at a ridiculous rate. The average price at an instate private 4 year tuition is 24,273 dollars. Now the average price for an instate four year public school is 7,020 dollars. This is significantly lower because the amount of students is greatly higher and they accept more people. But the average for an out of state college is 11,528 dollars. It is higher because the students do not pay the taxes for that state.
Every year the price goes up. For just room and board the average school raises 277-420 dollars a year. That is just to stay and live in the dorms at a college. The total price rise for the whole tuition is anywhere between 172-1096 dollars. That is a big difference but a school that jumps up almost a thousand dollars per year
At a college town everything is more expensive. It cost a lot of money to do things at school. Students have to pay and bills that they have including their loans for school. The college life is a constant struggle to have enough money to do everything that he/she wants. After the student graduates he/she will be in debt for years after.
Things that you can do to help is financial aid. There is over 168 billion dollars available to students who apply for college. That can possibly knock off a few thousand or at least a couple hundred.
Scholarships are available to every student that applies and meets the criteria for that scholarship. The money differs from each scholarship but its money that you don’t have to spend and is given to you to pay for college.
It makes high school kids pay more money to go to college. The more money that college is then the less kids will be able to afford it. This will cause kids to drop out at a higher rate cause they know that they can not afford it and they do not see the point in trying anymore.
2. Why important?<br />Having an associate or a bachelors degree is becoming more and more important to get a good paying job<br />The price for college is becoming more expensive by the year<br />
3. College Tuition <br />The amount it takes for an average kid to pay for college is becoming ridiculously high<br />Private 4 year tuition: $26,273<br />Public 4 year tuition: $7,020<br />Average out of state: $11528<br />
4. College tuition cont.<br />Students will pay $377-420 more than last year due to room and board<br />The average total price change per year for college is 172-1096 dollars <br />http://www.collegeboard.com/student/pay/add-it-up/4494.html<br />
5. No money for kids….<br />In a “college town” all of the prices rise as well (apartments, food, etc..)<br />Kids have to pay their high loans for college and need to have enough money to enjoy the college experience<br />They will be in debt for years after they graduate from college <br />
6. Financial Aid<br />There has been over $168 billion of financial aid available to students<br />Students can apply to receive money off tuition and get a couple thousand dollars removed from the total <br />
7. Scholarships <br />There are thousands of scholarships possible <br />Each school may have there own scholarships as well as each state, and country <br />You can apply for all the scholarships for which you meet the criteria for <br />
8. How does it impact K-12?<br />It doesn’t impact anything until high school <br />In high school students have more work to do to apply for help<br />School have to get scholarships available to students to help them<br />
9. Negative impact on high school<br />The higher the tuition gets the less people are going to be able to afford it<br />Students will begin to think that since they cannot afford college then there is no point to graduate from high school<br />The drop out rate will be sure to rise unless something is done about the high prices <br />
10. Conclusion <br />In conclusion, the state or federal governments need to do something to get the price of college more affordable. <br />The prices continue to rise and they are predicted to rise even more every year<br />The higher the prices get the less people will be able to afford it<br />
11. References <br />Picture on slide 4: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29157573@N07/2822951184/<br />Picture on slide 5: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eric731/3681735802/<br />Picture on slide 6: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37418570@N03/3715673760/<br />Picture on slide 7:http://www.flickr.com/photos/haagenjerrys/2194117356/<br />